Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every now and then my dog will breath through his nose and it would sound like he has a problem with it. it has a deep sound like he is trying to clear something put of hes nose.  it sounds like he hetting ready to spit just like we would do it (britng it all up then spit it out). i knowi probably didnt describe this the right way but hopefully somebody will be able to help me out.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I think that what you are describing is called back snorting or reverse sneezing.  Where it basically sounds like they are trying to suck a big snot back into thier throat :oops:

The medical term is inspiratory paroxysmal respiration, see why it is easier to call it back snorting  :lol:

It is characterized by rapid and repeated breathing through the nose, joined by snorting sounds. It sometimes can scare an owner, but is not known to be harmful to the animal.  In a reverse sneeze, the dog will make rapid and long inspirations, stand still, and sometimes even extend his head.  It is said to help to rub the throat while they are doing this.

Anyway.....hope that helps

·
Registered
780 Posts
Our Teaki does that, usually more in the summer than winter.  It is scary if you haven't heard it before, almost like she is choking or having trouble breathing.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
My Pit used to do that, I would just rub his throat and it would stop.  It was very scary the first time he did it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is exactly why I love this forum! After my little Bella girl's third nighttime "episode", I just HAD to figure out what's going on with her. I come to this forum and find this 2-year-old post that explains what she goes through now and then. Yes, it's scary to watch as an owner, but THANK YOU for putting my mind at ease and offering tips on how to help her through it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts