Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the first day Sirius had to be alone in the apartment since we got him almost a week ago.  He has definitely imprinted on me, and follows me around wherever I go, which is exactly what my wife and I wanted to happen.  I spent a lot of time babying him last week so he and I could form a strong bond.  So this morning when I started to head off to class, he went nuts.

Last night we prepped our kitchen with newspapers on the floor, a sleeping area with blankets and toys, and a baby gate to contain him.  I put him in there this morning, and he barked non-stop.  I tried to calm him down, and wound up being 30 minutes late to class.  In retrospect, I know we should have tried to get him used to being in the kitchen locked behind a baby gate, but we didn't practice it before hand because he has taken so easily to every other situation we have presented him with.  He rides in the car like he was born to do it.  He loves sleeping in his crate at night, and has actually started going in there during the day to play.  So we thought it would be easy for him.

I couldn't just leave him barking and agitated, so I took him out of the kitchen and put him in his sleeping crate.  He turned a couple of times, laid down and fell asleep.  So I left him in there for two hours while I went to class, then came home to walk him, and went back to class for two hours.  He loves his sleeping crate, so this will work fine for the days I have class, but in the next few weeks, I have some 8 hour clinical days.  There are only eight more days this month where our schedules don't match up, and he will have to be left alone for 8 hours at a time.  After those 8 days are up, I am free and clear to be home with him all the time.  We knew letting him piddle on paper might mean a potty training setback, but we didn't anticipate so much separation anxiety.  

So now I have to try and work through the weekend to get him used to being in the kitchen alone.  Does anyone have any tips on how I can go about this?  I found a potential doggie daycare service that uses retired folks to pet sit and it doesn't cost a lot of money, but I am not 100% sure they will work out.  I don't know what to think about the whole situation, other than I feel stupid and guilty for letting him down after I worked so hard to make sure he imprinted on me.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Don't worry. this is normal behavour. Patch still barks and wines when we put him in his crate when we leave. After a few minutes he calms down and goes to sleep. They just want to be around us all the time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He doesn't bark or whine when we put him in his sleeping crate in the bedroom though.  He just lays down and goes to sleep.  He only whines when he needs to be let out of it to go to the bathroom.  It is amazing how effortless crate training him has been.  I hope he never changes in this regard.

What happened this morning was very different.  The minute I put him in the kitchen, he started barking full volume.  I thought it would stop too, so I left the apartment and headed to my car, and when I could still hear him barking in the parking lot, I knew something was different about this.  I headed back to the apartment and spent a few minutes outside the door waiting for him to calm down.  He never did.  The minute I took him to his sleeping crate, he jumped in and laid down.  To me, this is a sign that he is fine with being in the crate, but anxious about the kitchen.  I have to figure out how to get him over the separation anxiety associated with the kitchen.  There is no way I am leaving him in his sleeping crate for 8 hours.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
jw... whats wrong w/ just putting him in his crate when u leave.... i have never left dungy out... even when i have tried to put him in the kitchen he freaked too.  He is totally fine w/ being in the cage and i leave him in there for up to 6 hrs if i have to for some reason.  

If he does well in the cage, i see no reason why u cant put him in there when u leave for class.  That is what i do and he has no problem w/ it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
99% of boxers have some sort of anxiety at first. If he is good in his crate, then thats good. Unfortunately there have been times we had to leave patch in his crate for 8hrs... he was fine... and he got extra lovin for it too :) You just have to do what works.. If he can be made to be ok with the kitchen, that will be good... that is until he is bigger and tries to counter surf, lol

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Rocky stays in his crate while we're at work.  He goes in about 8:45, then we let him out on our lunch @ noon, then Kris gets off at 5 and he's out the rest of time.  I just don't trust him out while we're not there and he's a fence jumper so no leaving him outside.  Do you or your wife get to come home for lunch?  Whatever you decide I'm sure will be fine!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, it will be fine to crate him for my class days, because I am only gone for 2 hours at a time.  He will do just fine with this.

The problem is, at the end of next week I will be gone for 8 hours or more for two days of clinical rotations.  I don't think it is healthy to leave an 8 week old puppy alone for 8 hours in a crate, without water, no matter how big the crate is.  Maybe I am wrong about this and I should be re-educated?  That is why I was trying to move him to the kitchen, where he could have room to eliminate across the room from his sleeping area, and have water.  Even this is not an ideal situation, but we couldn't talk the breeder into leaving Sirius in his momma's belly for an extra month until my schedule was completely open.  We just assumed he would be able to get used to this arrangement for the short time it would  have to happen.  I guess I am learning that what they say about assuming is true.  :)

I am hoping one of two things happen.  I can get him used to sleeping in the kitchen without freaking out, or the dog sitting service calls me back and I can find a responsible retired man or woman who would like to care for him on those 8 days that my schedule is bad.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
yeah i understand where u are coming from, but i can tell u from experience, when they get upset about being in a room... they will find their way out of the room lol... that means he will have 8 hrs to figure out how to break free and look for u lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great, so now I won't be able to leave him in the crate or the kitchen without worrying!  Damn, I feel like that new dad who runs to the emergency room every time his kid sneezes.  :)  

This is my first puppy ever.  I was a cat person before this, and cats can't wait to get you out of the house so they can sleep in peace.  So I am probably worrying about the small stuff, but just humor me until I catch on.

So how many of you think I should just put him in his sleeping crate for the 8 hours?  If enough of you promise that this won't cause Sirius any emotional damage, I will believe you.  He will have to be crated during his 9th through 13th week of age, and I read something about a "fear period" that should be coming up soon.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
sry lol... i didnt mean to make u worry... idk what to tell u... i think i have maybe left dungy in his crate 8 hrs only a couple times.  Do u have any friends that could take him out at the 4 hr mark or something like that??

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
what if you put the crate in the kitchen and leave it open so he can sleep in it and then maybe play and do other stuff outside of it?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maplesfolks\";p=\"114149 said:
what if you put the crate in the kitchen and leave it open so he can sleep in it and then maybe play and do other stuff outside of it?
I tried that when I came home, just to see if it would work.  No difference.  He just stands at the gate and barks at the top of his lungs.  I wonder if he is having flashbacks to the breeders house.  She used a baby gate to hold them in the sleeping area.  I am no dog psychologist, but maybe he would do better if there was another dog in there with him, just like his mom and litter mates used to be.  But I can't subject our other dog to 8 hours of being penned with him.  He wants to play non stop and she needs a break every now and then.  It wouldn't be fair to her.  Though, this weekend I guess I am going to try a little bit of everything to get him used to staying in the kitchen.  I have to try.

·
Registered
913 Posts
There really is nothing wrong with the occasional leaving Sirius in his crate for extended times ( as long as it is as infrequent as it sounds ) I have had many days when Ashley was 3-4 months old where I simply had no choice. Believe what you read above, your better off crating him, than coming home to a disaster...these monsters WILL figure out how to escape from one room, either by clawing/chewing, climbing..what ever it takes to esacpe. One thing to remember..your leaving him in a fairly large area..he feels lost and insecure..his crate..he feels enclosed, safe and so what if he has an accident here or there..they DO out grow it, and as his little bladder gets bigger..you won't have to come home to just doing a load of towels or blakets that have been messed on, you'll be surprised you'll come home to a sleepy streching pup..that needs to potty right away..and boxer burn for a couple hours!
Don't beat yourself up, he obviously is alot happier being crated, and look around at your place, and think of ALL the trouble he could get in if he escapes.
As far as the water goes..they do ok with out it for several hours..just tank up when they are set free...so be prepared to clean some pee spots. IF your really worried, some members on here have used the strapped water bottles like you give caged pets, and the pup can wet his whistle if he needs to, but if you allow him freedom to food and water..you will come home to a mess. He can do it!! Maybe just see if a friend can let him out once in a while till your more certain of this...and ohhh...lot and lots of lovin' when you get home..believe me, he will act like you were gone for DAYS!!
Best of luck to Sirius on his future days in the "PEN".. :lol:

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Do have any dog walkers around???  That has helped up break up our 8 hour day.   We have one all week. Comes and takes the pups out, then leaves - they are never alone for more than 4 hours.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that about Sirius..I wish you lived closer to me..I am always home and would take care of him..he would love to see his sister I am sure..I hope you find a good solution and he does well with it..good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts