Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at you chip...

Just read an article you posted about how to do the "sit on the dog" command/exercise.

My first question is - do you give a command? And if so what is the command? My pup already knows "down" as just laying down, but what do I tell her if I want her to do a long down?

2nd question - do you start the 30mins over again if she dog breaks from the long down? (Which the first few times they inevitably will I'm guessing).

3rd question - once they catch on do you remove the leash bit? I just can't see my puppy (9 mo) staying there for an overly long time (30mins or more) without getting bored and getting up to go investigate something or other.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Lookin at you chip...
Just read an article you posted about how to do the "sit on the dog" command/exercise.
LOL, years after having created that thread ... questions come rolling in. I'll see if I can clarify things?? :)

But first Place, Down and Stay ... similar but different. In theory if you train "Place" properly you don't need to add ... "Stay." With Place ... the dog is under command so they should not move until released.

And in a Down ... the dog should not move at all. Place is more relaxed ... the dog is free to move about the "Place" area ... they just can't leave it. And typically a dog is in a "Down" for much less than 5 minutes ... not Two Hours and a two hour Place, would be the "Goal." :)

My first question is - do you give a command? And if so what is the command? My pup already knows "down" as just laying down, but what do I tell her if I want her to do a long down?
It sounds like your asking about "The Place Command??" If so the command is "Place" you can give the Command and Point to an area/spot. After enough repetitions ... you'll find you can simply point and not say a word. Again that would be a goal.

Down and Stay are separate commands and I continue to train both Place, Stay and Down. Down can also be an Emergency Command. Used to "Down" the Dog ... Down means Down. Used at a distance, if you had to shout "Place" at a distance to the dog it would mean ... "Place???" Uh ... where exactly??? Place and Down ... similar but different.

2nd question - do you start the 30mins over again if she dog breaks from the long down? (Which the first few times they inevitably will I'm guessing).
If your dog is already doing "Place" for up to 30 minutes??? That's already pretty good. But I suppose letting them decide ... to end the exercise is not good. That's not a reliable command if that happens.

If that's the case, it would be a "NO" and have a leash on her to guide her back to "Place." But at that point ... she's mostly done for the time being ... so 5 minutes or less and call it good.

3rd question - once they catch on do you remove the leash bit? I just can't see my puppy (9 mo) staying there for an overly long time (30mins or more) without getting bored and getting up to go investigate something or other.
Aww well ... that is the whole point of "Place" training calmness into the dog. You want to train them to learn how to do ... "nothing." :)

Short session in the begining to train them to understand the command. Once the do understand the command ... extend the time. Then use a longer leash (15/30 ft) ... recall is shaky?? And start working around distractions.

The above is in regards to "Place" becasue I think you trying to blend "Sit on the Dog" and "The Place Command" together??? Sit on the dog is simpler. You just stop Sit and say nothing to the Dog. :)

Does this help???

1 - 2 of 2 Posts