Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we've recently noticed madeline has some scabs around her neck.  we have seen her scratch at her neck but it's always brief and usually when she has her collar on (we thought kinda like a reminder for us to take it off after her walk) but the scabs seems to be spreading.  there isn't any blood or grossness that i can see but she does have some other little bug-bite style spots popping up on her tummy and inner thighs.  

anyone have any clue what this is???  i hate to take her to the vet again--we seem to go weekly now--if it's something i can deal with here; they always just want to pump meds in her....

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Poor Madeline, I don't have a clue. Hate to suggest another vet visit but might be worth it. Mention your concerns to the vet about too many meds, maybe some sort of skin soothing bath?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
did you change anything like her diet or something else that could cause a break out like cleaning the carpet?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Donya\";p=\"35275 said:
did you change anything like her diet or something else that could cause a break out like cleaning the carpet?
yes, we did--two weekends ago we switched her from van peeples natural balance to timberwolf organics.  but if it were an allergic reaction wouldn't it be visible all over her body?  these just seem to be concentrated around her neck.  i've looked more closely at the ones on her thighs and tummy and these seem like mosquito bites.  we've had a really bad season for these buggers and have swatted a few off her, too.  do dogs have the same reactions to bite as we do?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
When I first read the post my first thought was allergic reaction.  There are many dogs that have what is known as a flea allergy.  This does not mean that your dog has to be infested with fleas.  It can have just one or two on them and they get scabs and sores.  Generally around the neck or down above the base of the tail (up the spine from the tail).  Do you notice fleas or use soemthing for fleas?

as for bug bites they can react the same way we do to bites.  Generally ant and mosquito bites will look more like raised bumps sometimes having a center that looks like a little pus pocket.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it just occurred to me a minute ago--i did clean her collar with some oxyclean 2 weeks ago b/c it was filthy after the dog park.  could this be it??

thanks sharonl for the bite explanation; so far i've seen no trace of pus or anything, just pink raised areas like what we'd get.  she is on frontline for fleas...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It very well could have been the oxy clean...I wash Samson's with just plain soap and water and rinse it very well...There could have still been a residual on the collar, hence the irritation....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts