Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, guys...it's been a while since I could get on here...started my new full time job and I swear it's changed EVERYTHING around here(you mom's know what I mean!)

So, here's the problem...in the last couple of days Pua has developed some skin rashes, for lack of a better word...we've had her on Benedryl (maintenance dose) daily for a long time now...the first two appeared on her hips and at first I thought they were bruises...they welted up, so her fur was irregular and turned dark purple...now they are kinda crusty...

Then we have the same spots in her ears that we had months ago(I am treating them with cortizone cream)...and today, one more patch on her face like those on her hips and then these pink raised bumps in her belly and under her arms! What is going on???  Is this an allergy? Spring? Help!

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well, it certainly can be allergy....Have you noticed fleas on her at all?  No food changes?

Of course you probably dont want to hear this after the events with the boys, but you may want to have it tested for Demo.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ohhh..how sad..poor baby!! The patches on the hind quarters remind me of my 3rd boxer who was diagnosed with Demodetic Mange. Thank goodness she was less that one year old, as the success rate of treatment goes up apparently if they have it before maturity. We had to bathe her with this AWFULL smelling rinse every week, but it resolved itself.
I will say..the other spots DO look like allergy bumps. I sure hope thats all you have going on with your furbaby! Keep us posted if you do a vet visit..Healing wishes sent your way!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AshleysMom\";p=\"91352 said:
Ohhh..how sad..poor baby!! The patches on the hind quarters remind me of my 3rd boxer who was diagnosed with Demodetic Mange. Thank goodness she was less that one year old, as the success rate of treatment goes up apparently if they have it before maturity. We had to bathe her with this AWFULL smelling rinse every week, but it resolved itself.
I will say..the other spots DO look like allergy bumps. I sure hope thats all you have going on with your furbaby! Keep us posted if you do a vet visit..Healing wishes sent your way!
Thank you!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome back Jeanene, but sorry to hear that Miss Pua isn't doing well....No advice, as that is something I really don't know much about, but hoping Pua starts getting better..Hoping the boys are doing well

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
We were wondering about you the other day, happy to see you back.  Sorry that Pua is having problems, hopefully it will go away quickly.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm going to say allergies.  Allie has atopic dermatitis (the bumps) and has inhalant allergies and flea allergies.  This time of the year is bad for her because of the pollen.  We give her bendryl (1 mg per pound), omega-3 tablets, and salmon oil.  This combination really seems to help her.  She has less "breakouts."  She also has to take ear drops every so often because her ears will become inflamed when her allergies are bothering her.  I highly recommend allergy testing.  We did it and are grateful.  Our vet had recommended just changing her food and seeing the reaction, but I wanted to help my furbaby now so I elected for the testing.  I did a lot of research on the internet and found that the holisitc products really seem to help.  A great book about allergies is The Allergy Solution for Dogs and is available from www.onlynaturalpet.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts