Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On monday my wife and I rescue a boxer from a family member house this poor boxer is so skinny and has been outside during these past few months it been 40° with rain sometimes. I have never rescue a dog before with him being so skinny and he wants to keep eating but i dont want to over feed him can someone please help me out with how much to feed start feeding him i have 2 other dogs a pug and another boxer. My boxer and the one i just rescued are brother any advice would help me out

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
I agree with the stool sample as well as having him heart worm tested. Don't over feed him, he will slowly put on weight over time with a high quality food.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really dont have the money to take him to a vet right now but i know i need to take him.I will post a picture of him

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I don't see any pictures of him.? As another poster said don't overfeed him, just give him a good quality food and he will gradually put on the weight. I would be concerned about parasites and/or heartworms. Maybe your vet will work with you to at least get him checked out, you don't want to spread anything to your pets.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Maybe you should check whether there is anything that is affecting him. I also imagine having been a rescue, it pretty must have had a lot of separation anxiety that has affected him. Having a great home with a family that is loving will ensure that he is comfortable and healthy. Ensure that you feed him healthy foods and also give vitamins and supplements to boost him immunity. Am sure he will add weight.

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
That is not skinny,that is plain emasciated,subject to a SPCA report but heh,just punch your family member square on the nose for me after the holidays are over will ya

You might be in for problems with this dog (or not)...if you don't have the $$ to take care of him quickly,just surrender him

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Oh wow, I agree this guy needs medical attention asap... If I were in your shoes, and I know your trying your best... but if I lacked vet funds I would contact a boxer rescue, or any rescue really and get him into hands that can give him the vet care he seriously needs... now that I see the pictures a simple stool sample won't be enough..

Thank you for rescuing him, but he really needs more help-- and ya what the heck was your family doing, don't mean to be negative but he looks terrible.. poor guy.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Omg he looks terrible! He is so emaciated, I feel horrible for him! These family members of yours should be reported....starving a dog AND keeping him outside in the cold?! Abuse and neglect, terrible.

Good thing you guys stepped in! Kudos to you. I'd take him to a vet right away for medical attention, and they can give you advice on how much/what to feed him. I'd also do as PP suggested and contact a rescue to see if they could help you too.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
OMG Just saw the pictures. He is pitiful and emaciated. Since you do not have the funds to vet him surrender him to a local shelter or boxer rescue. He is probably going to need more than food. I am so glad you stepped in and truly rescued this dog, the previous owner should never be allowed to own a dog again. Please keep in touch and let us know how this guy does.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for everyone advice i dont want to get the other 2dogs sick i been picking up the dogs poop as soon as he does it he eating good and is active walking around outside

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Call around to the vets in your area to see if somebody will see him for free. Take him to a shelter, or rescue. If you're dealing with tape worms, or other parasites, they will spread to your other animals.

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
I know he walks and eat and everything might go well for this poor dog but the other scenario is he probably need fluids in IV form and other care...I`m no vet but I saw enough vet ranch vids on youtube to know the proper way to deal with that,check them out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXSCm3S2XZHLBz8kH0N5Heg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wanted to update everyone Chico is doing much better he is such a loveable boxer he is getting his strength back little by little my wife and son are giving him lots of love. When i look at him i can see that he is totally happy to be with us but at the same time i can see that he misses his family as well he started to play with my other boxer and pug yesterday.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Just wanted to update everyone Chico is doing much better he is such a loveable boxer he is getting his strength back little by little my wife and son are giving him lots of love. When i look at him i can see that he is totally happy to be with us but at the same time i can see that he misses his family as well he started to play with my other boxer and pug yesterday.
Good to hear. Wish you lots of luck and happiness with him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts