Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove up to PA in the snow to pick up a new pup. The drive was horrible & scary! Well I wasnt 100% happy with the pup's looks but I figured after that drive I better have something to show for it. The pup's face is not as blocky as it should be & it makes her nose look pretty long. I didnt realize how bad it looked until I got her next to my adult Boxer (who I got as an adult so I dont know how she looked at this age). The mother's face looked perfectly normal but the father wasnt on premises. They are both AKC & the dad has his DNA done. I'll probably do hers too. Anyway, I also have an American Bulldog who's head wasnt very blocky as a pup, but as she got older it got a more prominant look to it. I was wonder/hoping this will happen to the boxer as well. She is 15 weeks old, I've seen other pups online that had skinny faces too, but then theres the ones who already have a big blocky face from the start. So my question is, do the pups with skinny faces ended up having a normal blocky head or will she keep the look?

Ok I already know i'll get a lot of criticism over her color, I don't care what you have to say over it just her face. I did a lot of searching for a "black" boxer becuase they are just absolutly gorgeous! I know there's "no such thing as a pure bred black boxer" as many people will say but I've seen many many wonderful black boxers with all the right boxer stuff. my little girl is not exactly a perfect boxer, but I think her color is no fault, just her skinny face!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: Skinny Faced Pup

Well I think you shouldnt care so much about the looks of your new doggy. She will be an amazing, fun, and such a great companion to you. When I got my Otis as a puppy, he was pretty skinny too. He turned out huge, let me tell you. He is now 90 pounds, and on a diet. They always end up filling out thats for sure.  As long as they are happy and healthy, i think thats all thats important. And lets face it, boxers have faces that only a mother would love anways....

good luck. Post some pics if you can. I bet she is so cute! Congrats on your new puppy!

·
Registered
427 Posts

I think people would be able to help you a little more if you posted some pictures. Welcome to the forum!

G

·
0 Posts

I know that as a little puppy Jetta's nose was long...it is just now starting to shorten up a bit...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

If the nose appears long, it can appear to shorten as she grows into her head. I agree though we maybe able to give some better advice with pictures

·
Registered
42 Posts
How old is she? My dog Sasha is basicly black looking. She has very very light brown striping around her ears. Everywhere we went when she was a pup people thought she was a boston terrier. No everyone thinks we have a 50lb boston terrier she is over a year old. Her nose never looked long.
We now have a baby Moose boxer which has kinda a long looking nose. Having two boxers is great!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i agree. looks like a normal pup to me...Below is a pic of my youngest at 12wks when she came home...the second pic is about a month ago

12wks

10 months

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sorry, I have to be the voice of dissent and say she doesn't look particularly Boxer-ish to me.  There's definitely something else in there, somewhere along the line.  Did they even show you a photo of the sire?

·
Registered
220 Posts
[quote="Honeyec\";p=\"57916":1whr2cwt]Sorry, I have to be the voice of dissent and say she doesn't look particularly Boxer-ish to me.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
First let me say she is beautiful! I have to agree with Eimear though, I think there is some other breed that has been mixed in down the line. You already know that boxers do not carry the black gene, so if indeed she is truly black, then there would've had to been a lab or great dane etc... (some other breed that does carry the black gene) bred into the line somewhere. Their noses don't shorten up as they grow. It may appear that the noses get shorter as the head gets bigger, but noses don't shrink.
Bottom line is, as long as you are not showing or breeding her, why worry about her looks?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I think her head is shaped like Fiona's was when she was younger and now her nose lookes shorter as her head got more blocked....from 4 months to 9 months.

Your new baby is a cutie, and I would not care one way or the other, but I also have to agree that it looks like another breed within there somewhere.....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Doesn't look like a boxer to me either.  Although I'm not sure why you'd be surprised, since you were looking for a "black boxer."  Did the breeder call it a black boxer?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Regardless of her lineage she is still a very pretty puppy, but I also have to agree, there is another breed mixed in somewhere...Andrea did a post on Boxer colors and as was already stated, there is no such thing as a "black" Boxer...That is a gimmick used by disreputable breeders to ask more money for their pups....They do grow into their faces tho, and what may seem like a longer nose now could very well chnage as she grows up some....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mamba, you mentioned your concern getting criticism for your "black" boxer,  that is what you like and we all have a preference to a certain look we like. There are "black" boxers, and an assortments of doggys that need  good loving homes,  so kudos to you for the love of those little "black" beauties. In reference to her face, I'm not sure if maybe females could be more prone to skinnier faces as puppys since they seem to  be slightly smaller, and hearing from other people in the forum on how their pups faces changed I guess you may have to see how she grows. Congratulations on your  new little girl, she's very pretty. What did you name her?

G

·
0 Posts
oops, sorry, I was looking at Chud's picture, didn't realize it was in the original post...yeah, she looks a little "off" to me..maybe lab or Dane in there...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Here's a possible positive note.  With the longer nose, maybe you won't get the snoring when he's sleeping.  And I agree that there's got to be some other breed mixed in.  I've noticed that sometimes a white stripe can make the muzzle seem longer and skinnier than it is.  Good looking little puppy, nonetheless!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts