Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Tank, boxer, male.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a new male boxer pup, Tank. He's at 8-9 weeks now. He is quite skinny since we got him from the kennel. Of course he has improved a bit considering what he was a week ago. But I'm worried. I feed him Thrice a day with royal canin(kibble). He's active, playful, and yes sleeps a lot. Would love to hear feedback and suggestions from y'all. Thanks.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Whoa!!! Way too skinny! Has he been wormed? Does he have any diahhrea? He does need a Vet check if he hasn't had one. Sounds like you are feeding him enough but please get him checked for parasites including coccidia and giardia and please do it soon these growing months are important for him and he needs all his nutrition to go to that not parasites.

·
Registered
Tank, boxer, male.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoa!!! Way too skinny! Has he been wormed? Does he have any diahhrea? He does need a Vet check if he hasn't had one. Sounds like you are feeding him enough but please get him checked for parasites including coccidia and giardia and please do it soon these growing months are important for him and he needs all his nutrition to go to that not parasites.
He's finished one dose of deworming and vaccination. Planning to visit the vet tomorrow. His stools are completely normal except when I overfeed him, stools does get a bit watery. Hence stopped the overfeeding.

·
Registered
950 Posts
You are not overfeeding him by doing 3 meals a day he needs that right now but I think you should have him checked for giardia and coccidia and those are tests the vet has to send out those are common causes for puppies not to gain the weight they should. I urge you to please have these tests done.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum and yes that pup is extremely skinny. I see from your introduction you are in India. I don't know why pup is that thin at 8-9 weeks old he should be much m ore robust. Have you had him to a vet to check for parasites? or any health issues? Royal Canin is a good food, I presume it is their puppy formula. I too would be feeding him 3 maybe even 4 times a day since he is so thin but watch that his stool stays firm, if it gets loose by adding more food cut it back some. I would definitely have all parasites ruled out, often a pup will have coccidia or giardiasis if it came from poor conditions and those are differently tested by the vet. I would think though he would already be exhibiting diarrhea . I am so glad you have this pup and sound like you will be caring well for him. It makes me sad to see a pup so thin, perhaps its nothing more than a breeder who didn't feed the pups enough or a big litter and he got deprived by the others pups. He likely may need a supplement to help him gain. Its all a matter of balance finding the right amounts without causing other issues. For now I'd do small more frequent meals. Good luck at the vet and I hope it goes well.

·
Registered
Tank, boxer, male.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are not overfeeding him by doing 3 meals a day he needs that right now but I think you should have him checked for giardia and coccidia and those are tests the vet has to send out those are common causes for puppies not to gain the weight they should. I urge you to please have these tests done.
Okay great will get that done. Do I need to carry his stool/urine sample to the vet?

·
Registered
Tank, boxer, male.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forum and yes that pup is extremely skinny. I see from your introduction you are in India. I don't know why pup is that thin at 8-9 weeks old he should be much m ore robust. Have you had him to a vet to check for parasites? or any health issues? Royal Canin is a good food, I presume it is their puppy formula. I too would be feeding him 3 maybe even 4 times a day since he is so thin but watch that his stool stays firm, if it gets loose by adding more food cut it back some. I would definitely have all parasites ruled out, often a pup will have coccidia or giardiasis if it came from poor conditions and those are differently tested by the vet. I would think though he would already be exhibiting diarrhea . I am so glad you have this pup and sound like you will be caring well for him. It makes me sad to see a pup so thin, perhaps its nothing more than a breeder who didn't feed the pups enough or a big litter and he got deprived by the others pups. He likely may need a supplement to help him gain. Its all a matter of balance finding the right amounts without causing other issues. For now I'd do small more frequent meals. Good luck at the vet and I hope it goes well.
Thanks for your reply. Planning a vet visit for tomorrow. He doesn't have any issues with stools like diarhea but yes stools does get watery when I feed him more than his regular portion each time. And yes as pointed out by you, the kennel conditions weren't that great. Feeding 4 times is it fine or should I go with what my vet says? Hoping tomorrows visit to the vet to be a pleasant one.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Of course go with what your vet says. It sounds like you have a good plan for your pup, normally I would feed 3x a day just like you are doing for this age, just thought perhaps a little extra may help put some weight on but definitely you don't want to cause him loose stool.

·
Registered
Tank, boxer, male.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course go with what your vet says. It sounds like you have a good plan for your pup, normally I would feed 3x a day just like you are doing for this age, just thought perhaps a little extra may help put some weight on but definitely you don't want to cause him loose stool.
Haha thanks. I thought more the better for weight gain but it backfired with loose stools so had to cut down on the portion size immediately. Will update here after vets visit. Thanks for all the info.

·
Super Moderator
7,094 Posts
How much do you feed per feeding? A fecal test is a good idea.
I would offer smaller more frequent meals and add in a probiotic twice daily. You can also add in some cooked rice and cooked ground beef to his meals.

·
Registered
Tank, boxer, male.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much do you feed per feeding? A fecal test is a good idea.
I would offer smaller more frequent meals and add in a probiotic twice daily. You can also add in some cooked rice and cooked ground beef to his meals.
Hi, since I'm feeding only royal canin(kibble), each portion I'm giving him around 30-35 kibbles soaked in water thrice a day. Had tried giving more but then he started getting loose stools. About the probiotic, is it safe for his gut? And meat I haven't yet started since I thought he's too young for it.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
This is what I did. I fed 1 1/2 cup of kibble per meal. ( I also used Royal canin puppy) Look at the feeding recommendations of the bag, I can't quite picture 30-35 kibble but I don't think that is much. I think what Kaco boxer is saying is to add the beef/rice to his food. She is a very reputable boxer breeder. If you can get ground lean beef and white rice boil it and use that to either add to his meal and/or make it into little meatballs to feed him as added treats. Probiotics are good for a dogs gut. In the past I have also used plain greek yogurt , a tablespoon as a topper on the food,( in the absence of having probiotic available). WE all hope the pup made out well at the vet and look forward to hearing updates.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yes please let us know, we are rooting for you guys and hope you can get your pup healthy again! He was lucky to get you for an owner who really cares he gets well.

·
Registered
Tank, boxer, male.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi guys, thanks for all these lovely recommendations. So I took him to the vet on Friday along with his fresh stool sample,vet said he's totally fine health wise including his stool looked totally normal and well formed. He's advised to increase the meal frequency to 4 times instead of 3. Also he's prescribed a prozyme syrup twice a day.
He's asked me to start rice and meat after 10 days, so gonna start that soon.
And one more query for you guys, how much should a boxer pup of his age(2 months) sleep on an average per day.
Yes please let us know, we are rooting for you guys and hope you can get your pup healthy again! He was lucky to get you for an owner who really cares he gets well.
Thank you so much for those kind words.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Puppies sleep quite a bit so don't be too alarmed about that but at the same time there should be times when they are very playful and active as that's the spirit of a Boxer they are usually playful and very happy dogs that's what makes them such wonderful companions its hard to be in a bad mood when they are around. Glad your pups health check went ok. Hopefully he will start gaining some weight now. Like I said keep us posted on him and I am glad you rescued him from wherever you got him I don't think he would have made it much longer in the condition he was in.

·
Registered
Tank, boxer, male.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Puppies sleep quite a bit so don't be too alarmed about that but at the same time there should be times when they are very playful and active as that's the spirit of a Boxer they are usually playful and very happy dogs that's what makes them such wonderful companions its hard to be in a bad mood when they are around. Glad your pups health check went ok. Hopefully he will start gaining some weight now. Like I said keep us posted on him and I am glad you rescued him from wherever you got him I don't think he would have made it much longer in the condition he was in.
Okay that's great. Yes he is playful for a good amount of time usually after his meal and yeah definitely a wonderful companion!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I have a new male boxer pup, Tank. He's at 8-9 weeks now. He is quite skinny since we got him from the kennel. Of course he has improved a bit considering what he was a week ago. But I'm worried. I feed him Thrice a day with royal canin(kibble). He's active, playful, and yes sleeps a lot. Would love to hear feedback and suggestions from y'all. Thanks.
View attachment 136530
I agree with the group he is underweight.MY 3RD BOXER was underweight until almost 7mo.Up an down.allergies had alot to do with it.I like to say don't worry instead I plead take him ASP to the Vet.He still play an a t like nothing hurting him.Maybe he was a late nursing. Good luck.keep is posted.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts