Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog, Luna, is 9 months old. She has always been a very friendly Boxer, but recently she has become very skittish of strangers - she'll run from them or even start barking at them. Is this normal behavior/a phase?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I think for the most part that behavior is typical boxer behavior. Dutch is 3 months shy of 2 yrs. old and he will not let any stranger pet him at all. Dutch will come up close to people but as soon as they reach out to pet him he will back up out of reach. He is a very lovable & friendly dog he just doesn't take well to people he does not know. I wouldn't be too alaramed of the behavior. ~Misty~

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Luna has begun reacting in the same way. She'll venture close to people that she doesn't know, but she'll move away from them when they try to reach out to her. She's very good with people that she does know, so I guess there is no harm in her being skittish with strangers. Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
I think for the most part that behavior is tylpical boxer behavior. Dutch is 3 months shy of 2 yrs. old and he will not let any stranger pet him at all. Dutch will come up close to people but as soon as they reach out to pet him he will back up out of reach. He is a very lovable & friendly dog he just doesn't take well to people he does not know. I wouldn't be too alaramed of the behavior. ~Misty~
I t quite a fewend to disagree. Prior to rescue work every Boxer I have know (and I have know severa) have been just like my Baby girl...people crazy.

Only exception (in my experience) is one in rescue who was abandoned and has a "fear" of people issue.

The "fear" stages are normal, you do everything right and a dog just sails right threw them and you won't even notice! You do something right and they can get stuck!

It can be fixed,

OP, if you have a dog that is not eager to meet people...then you need to stop doing what your doing...clearly it's not working! Or hey maybe he'll get over it?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I t quite a fewend to disagree. Prior to rescue work every Boxer I have know (and I have know severa) have been just like my Baby girl...people crazy.

Only exception (in my experience) is one in rescue who was abandoned and has a "fear" of people issue.

The "fear" stages are normal, you do everything right and a dog just sails right threw them and you won't even notice! You do something right and they can get stuck!

It can be fixed,

OP, if you have a dog that is not eager to meet people...then you need to stop doing what your doing...clearly it's not working! Or hey maybe he'll get over it?

Your entitled to your opinion. I can only speak on my experience with my dog Dutch who I might add is still a growing young man who is still maturing. To this point, Dutch hadn't allowed for a "stranger" outside the house to pet him. He will kidney bean dance around you, do tricks in the air for their attention but still is skiddish on the approach. Believe me , I do know how to raise dogs and I take offense on how you are quick to assume my dog has a problem or a fear issue or even that I'm not intelligent enough to raise a well balanced dog. As Dutch matures, maybe he will grow out of that stage. But as he is still growing, that day has yet to come. If the same "stranger" was invited into my home, you best believe Dutch would be up on their lap the second they were to take a seat. So I stand behind my advice that it is typical boxer behavior at that age, after all the puppy is only 9 months! ~Misty~

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Your entitled to your opinion.

Not really sure how I was pointing you out? You did not, ask for advice I was not offering you any, you did state "fear of people"... is normal for a Boxer.

I tend to vehemently disagree, I said "every" Boxer I have met, and I know personally several not including rescues has greeted people just like my girl did! A friendly stranger is met with unbound enthusiasm!

My first day of rescue I was under a pile of three wiggling, kissing Boxers, dogs that I had never met before in my life! They all acted just like my Struddel! To me...that is the norm!

Maybe the Euro's are more standoffish? Don't know I have never met one?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Not really sure how I was pointing you out? You did not, ask for advice I was not offering you any, you did state "fear of people"... is normal for a Boxer.

I tend to vehemently disagree, I said "every" Boxer I have met, and I know personally several not including rescues has greeted people just like my girl did! A friendly stranger is met with unbound enthusiasm!

My first day of rescue I was under a pile of three wiggling, kissing Boxers, dogs that I had never met before in my life! They all acted just like my Struddel! To me...that is the norm!

Maybe the Euro's are more standoffish? Don't know I have never met one?

Correction... U were the 1st poster on bringing "fear of people" into the convo. The original poster stated a 9 MONTH old boxer putty was "skittish". In my language skittish is not a synonym for fear. Two different meanings. ~Misty~

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Correction... U were the 1st poster on bringing "fear of people" into the convo. The original poster stated a 9 MONTH old boxer putty was "skittish". In my language skittish is not a synonym for fear. Two different meanings. ~Misty~

"Skittish" would not be a term used by dog people..but whatever.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
First off guys let's remember forum rules an be respectful of peoples opinions/thoughts even if we don't agree with them.

My friend has a 3 yr old white boxer names Luna who is "skittish." She recently ran away and it was hard trying to rescue her bc of her fear of strangers. Wyatt sometimes acts that way as well, must be a boxer thing!

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
A disagreement is a volition of forum rules?? I did not see any name calling on either part?? Did I miss something??

Anyway back on point more or less. So far we have 3 for "Skittish" being normal and I know 4 Boxers, personally that were just like mine, plus the three at rescue... well two. Tic Tac Toe was "skittish" but he was abandoned by his family.

So he speaks to my point of "something" went wrong? So that's 7 for not normal and three for,it's normal. And no one else has weighted in yet?

I will concede on the "Skittish" term however. I just saw it with my GSD tonight on an off leash walk.
He is not a great fan of strangers! If he is on leash (apparently), he quietly stands behind me while I speak and if someone ask to pet him and I allow them, he is fine with it.

Pretty much no reaction whatsoever and with "him," I'm good with that! :)

Tonight on a walk he was off leash, I stopped to talk to a neighbor who was behind his short fence. So Rocky was free to make a choice...he choice to go about 5 yards away from the guy and lay down on the sidewalk while I finished talking??

So that could be termed "Skittish" never saw it on leash but off leash I did with my GSD.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Never said disagreeing with someone was a violation of forum rules but you must treat others with respect.

Forum Rules

At BoxerForums.com we have some very simple rules that we expect our members to follow on the forum, including the chat room, and private messages. By posting on the forum you are agreeing to these set rules. Members that do not follow the rules are not welcome and may be banned. We urge users that know of these infractions to report them immediately by clicking on the "Repot Post" at the bottom of the thread. If you are unsure about any of the rules or have questions please contact the Administrator or Moderators.

Rules Included, but not limited to:

Conduct:

a) Treat all members with respect. We understand that there will be difference of opinion, but please keep it civil.

I'm sure you've hurt the OP's feeling by saying basically she doesn't know what she's doing and she's to blame for her dog being SKITTISH. Skittish is an excellent word to use by the way describing how her dog was acting. It's sort of like a cat, they are all calm and relaxed and all of a sudden they don't feel comfortable( someone walks in room, something drops, they hear any other noise etc.) and they get SKITTISH and run off.

Believe me my dog won't walk unless there's another person walking with us, which I don't always have someone else to walk with, we have the older dog with us(which she's only good for maybe 3 walks a week now and they have to be short) or we drive somewhere and still then I never know how he will be. Does this make me a bad owner???? He walked fine for about 9 months, no problems, then all of a sudden one day, BOOM didn't want to walk anymore. He is very skittish on walks.

We aren't trying to say every boxer everywhere known to man is skittish. It's a trait we picked up on, oh... When my dog is in this situation he almost always acts this way.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Please keep this thread's tone civil. Please don't antagonize each other or lecture one another. If you feel that someone's post is breaking the rules then report it to a moderator.

The definition of "opinion" is a judgment not necessarily based in fact.

Offering a different viewpoint is fine but please leave personal judgment and labels out of it.

It is better to subscribe to the "If you don't have anything nice to say (or a civil way to word it) then don't say it."

If you have any questions on what constitutes "civil" please contact one of the moderators.

Thank you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts