Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aspen had a run in with a skunk the other night, I think it was under the deck. She poked her head under and the skunk got her full in the face/chest. Her eyes were all red and puffy and itchy, I had to flush them out with the shower nozzle (which Aspen really did not enjoy). I got some skunk shampoo and it seems to have helped get the smell out for the most part, except for in her mouth! She must have got a full mouth of spray because she threw up a lot after it happened, and her breath stinks of skunk. I can't shampoo the inside of her mouth, any ideas on how to get the smell out? Every time she barks or pants or anything she stinks up the room.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Aww poor Aspen and you! Been there with Kippah twice! The first time she got it full on in her mouth. It will take a long time for the smell to go away from her breath...uugghh. It sucks I called Kippah skunk breath for a long time!

·
Registered
51 Posts
In the plastic container, combine 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 to 2 teaspoons of liquid soap. Add lukewarm water if needed (for larger dogs). Mix ingredients well. The solution will fizz, as a chemical reaction is occurring. Use immediately - do not store.
Cabo got sprayed by the skunk 3 times this is the only think that worked. You can do it at least 2-4 times

·
Registered
995 Posts
Poor Aspen! I've seen advice for tomato juice baths... I wonder if this might help if put in her water. Wishing you best of luck with this.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Aw poor girl! This is one of my biggest fears while I'm out walking my girls at night! Hope the stink come out soon!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tomato juice baths are actually a myth, they don't do anything for the smell. I got the smell out of her fur, it's just the inside of her mouth that is the problem. I have tried doggie toothpastes but it's just not strong enough, I think I'm just going to have to wait it out.

Aspen was too scared to leave the deck the day after it happened, now she's fine but she won't go under the deck where the skunk was (which is a good thing!). We put out a trap for the skunk but instead attracted a black bear and her two cubs who tore the trap apart, so there goes that idea! I don't even know if the skunk is living under our deck or if it just happened to be there the other night while cruising around. We haven't seen it or smelt it in the last couple of days so hopefully it's gone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts