Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, Dozer's crate is in the laundry room. With winter coming, I'm afraid it may be a little to cool for him to be comfortable. He sleeps on a primopad, which doesn't offer a lot of fluff, and we can't add any cloth to his crate,, because he destroys everything. It started last winter, when he chewed up the sheet we had over his crate. What temperature will be too cool for his to be comfortable?

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
Mine get chilly at night and they sleep on the living room furniture.
Our thermostat is set at 68.
We cover them, but they move in the night and knock their covers off and in the AM they are curled up into little balls and we cover them back up

They always let out this little "sigh" when we cover them back up like they're saying thanks.
:)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Could you get a space heater with a thermostat that would kick on at a certain temp? They make really nice ones now that don't get too hot and some have timers even.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will he ever figure out the comfortable of a pillow or blanket and not tear it up? It seems if he steals a rag/towel from the laundry the first thing he will do is try to rip it.
We can do a space heater, or figure out how to cover his crate without allowing him access to the fabric. I'm guessing the room will get as cool as 66 or so. Think he will be too cool? How will we know??? Will a crate cover and his body heat keep him warm enough?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I'd go with the space heater, if he tears stuff up. Of course, be REALLY careful not to have anththing around it to catch fire, and have the door to the laundry room left open for venting.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
If he tears things up then the space heater seems the way to go but like mentioned above, make sure nothing is to close so a fire doesn't start. We wouldn't want to hear about a fire. I know they make the covers to fit the kennels & from what I've seen of them they fit snug so there wouldn't be material loose to be grabbed. We tried to cover the kennel with our little one as she would cry when we'd kennel her but with the blanket being loose she'd either get a hold of it through the bars & pull it off or our other boxer would yank it off. We are in the process of turning our kennels into end tables as well so they will serve dual purpose in our house. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Heater

The best heater we have found(and probably the safest) is the one that looks like the old radiator. The ones we use are made by DeLongi and there is no heater coil exposed to catch anything on fire.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
We use an oil heater which is what I think Bulldog3777 is referring to. Its filled with oil that gets heated up and radiates the heat. They are way safer than space heaters. I place them in the puppy room at night and it has a built in thermostat so it only kicks on when needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts