Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question. We have a 3 month old and I was just wondering how long before he can make it all night without having to go potty? We've only made it three times so far. Any suggestions or advice would be great.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I know a lot of people take water away after a certain time in the evening; others will chime in with some help.

G

·
0 Posts
I found that a crate woth only enough room to stand up and turn around where if potty happenss they have to lay in it will most the time stop them from doing it. I hav a crate we put the devider in at night so peggy hasnt the room to wander in it. I really does stop her from going potty in the crate..

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
A 12 week old pup is most likely going to have to eliminate during the night whether you use a crate or not.  Theres no need to punish them when they can't physically hold it in.

G

·
0 Posts
[quote="sully\";p=\"71511":ji289fd5]A 12 week old pup is most likely going to have to eliminate during the night whether you use a crate or not.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Lola was about 4 months I think when she started sleeping through the night.

I don't think Rich means that he used the crate as punishment.  We used a divider with Lola too because we were told that puppies won't potty where they sleep.  She has enough room to stand up, turn and lay down.  It worked, she would always whine a little to wake us up and take her out.  She only went about 3 times in her crate and that's when she was sick and we couldn't get her out fast enough.  

Every dog is different though!  It's tough, I understand how you feel....you loss a lot of sleep at the beginning but it's worth it!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Boxer_man_Rich\";p=\"71516 said:
[quote="sully\";p=\"71511":38v8j1e5]A 12 week old pup is most likely going to have to eliminate during the night whether you use a crate or not.  Theres no need to punish them when they can't physically hold it in.
My pups both brutus and peggy were trained this way and worked great. IMO if you put them in a crate as punishment it is punishment... purtting them in a crate to train them is not....but that is my opinion..[/quote:38v8j1e5]

Making them sit in a puddle of their own urine is the punishment I'm talking about it.  Crate training is great but it's not about the crate here...most  12 week olds will have to go out during the night either way.

Theres always exceptions but my dog wouldn't sleep through the night until 4 months

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It really is going to vary, each puppy is different...Generally it takes til about 6 mos ot be completely potty trained and sometimes that isn't always the case, so keep that in mind....Angel had no problem holding it all nite in the crate at 18 mos when we brought her home, but during the day, couldn't hold it more than an hour, we had to totally poty train her..Give it more time

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He's never had an accident in the crate. And he's doing really well, hasn't had an accident in the house in forever. I was just wondering if I was asking to much of him to soon. I've heard that if I limit his food and water intake towards the end of the night that it may help. This is the first dog I've tried to crate train. Thanks for the info. Any more ideas would be great.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would definitely take up the water a few hours befor he's crated. Also no snacks late as well....He is still young, so give him a bit more time really...I know it's a hassle having to get up in the middle of the nite. Something that may help is a good play session before bed time, that can really tire out those pups  :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Gaby is almost 6 months now and she can probably make it through the night no problem as I have to wake her up and try to motivate her to get out of bed to go...I suppose I can probably stop getting up now and get more sleep :D but I'm still worried she will damage her bladder...maybe I'm just being a worry wart

·
Registered
148 Posts
My Rocky has slept thru the night since we got him at 9 weeks, he is so very different then our first boxer BO who had to get up a few times during the night for months.  With him I just stopped giving him water at least 3 hours prior to bedtime and that did help him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts