Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something's up with Lola.  For the past few weeks she hasn't been finishing all her food, or sometimes doesn't touch it at all.  And she's been begging for "people" food or for her treats like crazy, both of which is something that she's never done before.  On Tuesday my bf said she slept all day and didn't want to play at all, but she ate.  Tuesday night she slept all night too.  Wednesday she seemed back to her old self, last night she did eat all her dinner....but begged for my dinner and treats ALL NIGHT LONG.  She would stand in the kitchen looking at the counter where she knew treats were and whine & whine & whine.  I gave in once, but then didn't for the rest of the night.  I tried to keep her busy all night by playing and doing training, but once I stopped for a second she'd run in the kitchen and cry.  Then this morning when she woke up she went outside and threw up, then she didn't touch her breakfast.  I noticed too that she kept licking her lips and making noises like she had a dry throat....too hot in the house maybe?  

This is what I feed Lola:

Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach Formula

Dry

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein (Min) 26.0%
Crude Fat (Min) 16.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) 4.0%
Moisture (Max) 12.0%
Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.4%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.0%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.8%
Zinc (Zn) (Min) 180 mg/kg
Selenium (Se) Min) 0.30 mg/kg
Vitamin A (Min) 15,000 IU/kg
Vitamin E (Min) 460 IU/kg
Ascorbic Acid* (Min) 70 mg/kg
Glucosamine* (Min) 400 ppm
Glutamine* (Min) 1.0%

* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles

CALORIE CONTENT (CALCULATED):

Metabolizable Energy (ME)
1700 kcal/kg
3740 kcal/lb
419 kkcal/cup

Digestable Energy
1815 kcal/lb
447 kcal/cup

INGREDIENTS:
Salmon, brewers rice, canola meal, oat meal, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), salmon meal (natural source of glucosamine), pearled barley, brewers dried yeast, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
D-4449

Wet

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein (Min) 7.0%
Crude Fat (Min) 5.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) 1.5%
Moisture (Max) 78.0%
Linoleic Acid (Min) 0.60%

CALORIE CONTENT (CALCULATED): As Fed  Dry Matter  
Metabolizable Energy/oz  33 kcal/oz 138 kcal/oz
Metabolizable Energy/kg  1154 kcal/kg 4869 kcal/kg
Metabolizable Energy/can  426 kcal/can 1798 kcal/can

INGREDIENTS:
Water sufficient for processing, salmon, fish, rice, corn oil, potato protein, potassium chloride, carrots, carrageenan, locust bean gum, xanthan gum, guar gum, choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, calcium phosphate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin A supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin B-12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, potassium iodide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin D-3 supplement, sodium selenite, folic acid, biotin.
E-4444

She gets a cup and 1/2 of dry in the morning with a teaspoon of wet and a teaspoon of plain low-fat yogurt.

Then she gets a treat in the afternoon like an apple, carrots or peanut butter in a kong.

Then a cup and 1/2 of dry at night with a teaspoon of wet.

I'm just wondering if she's getting what she needs, if I'm feeding her enough, if it's time to find another food...again?  Is she just not liking her food anymore?

Thanks for your responses!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Do you give her the same thing every day?   or mix up what's put in her food?   Is she pooping normal?
are her gums nice and pink?

My theory is she is bored is you are feeding the same regiment everyday.  Like she wants treats and your food because its different.   Sleeping, may be a growth spurt and the weather - mine sleep a lot on cloudy grey days and maybe due to lack on energy from not eating.   If she is vomiting, not pooping, lathargic and pale gums - then call the Vet.

However if she is pooping, pink gums acts normal when trying to get your food, think maybe need to mix it up a bit, and make her wonder what she is going to get to eat.    More like play around with addins other than the wet and yogurt.  

Is the Vomit bile and foam in the am, or is it food?  if vomit and bile could be hunger pukes from her hunger strike.   Tell Lola to Cut Mommy some slack!!!    I would use her kibble as her base, but maybe boil up some chix to add to it one time, get some canned makrel for another time, cottage cheese is a good one- I have made some kibble stew before.  I will cook up some sweet potatos, carrots and make a low salt gravy.  Then add in the kibble.  Also scrambled cheesey eggs-

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Maverick will also do this hunger strike thing as well...lately he has been vomitting his canidae after he eats but he is on antibiotic shot and eats quickly. Anyway im with heather...when Maverick goes on his little strikes it is usually because he is bored of what ive been eating so i add sardines, sweet potatoe, veg, eggs, yogurt...im considering doing some raw feeding with him because he is just bored all the time and i want him to eat. Good luck with getting lola to eat and i hope everything is fine with her and she is just bored at the moment.

the  bf's method is to let the hunger strike continue until mav realizes he isnt getting treats etc and then usually Mav will eat when he is hungry, Hope all goes well

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heather - I do give her the same things, so maybe she's a bit board!?  She is pooping normal and her gums are nice & pink!  When she threw up the other day is was foam.  She threw up this am too and it was food.
Last night I put some chicken in her dinner and she gobbled it up!  But was still whiny after like the other night, still looking for food.  This morning I put some cottage cheese in her food and she ate all that too.....and still whined.  So is she not getting enough food?  Or is she just a pig? :lol:   Then I brought her to work with me and we were playing a little, then she calmed down, then Jake came to pick her up and she got playful again then threw up.  But she ate over an 2 hours ago so I don't know why she got sick.  Thanks for all the tips!  I'll just have to keep working on it....I'd like to change up her kibble once in awhile but it's hard with her allergies.  Any suggestions?  

Donya - thanks for the add-in tips!  I'm always nervous on what is good/bad to give dogs!  These little buggers and their hunger strikes!  What is Mav on antibiotics for?  Hope he's feeling better soon!!  No more throwing up Maverick!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sounds like your dog figured out how yummy human food is, and doesn't want to go back to dog food (damn those smart boxers!)...

I used to mix a little chicken broth in with the food, and slowly start putting in less and less until she is back to her normal food again.

Dogs will eat when they're starving- regardless if she is "boycotting" dog food! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts