Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Atticus has been doing NOTHING but sleeping for the past day and a half.  I know puppies need lots of sleep, but he's sleeping much, much more than he had been and really has no interest in playing (we've tried!).  He also isn't eating much - probably less than half what he had been.  He isn't showing any other signs of illness or distress, and isn't due for another trip to the vet for final shots in two weeks.  Should we be concerned and get him into the vet now?

AnnA

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Is he drinking?   Is it really hot where you are?  Are his gums pale?  Is he pooping ok?

Sorry for the questions.   If all the above is ok, and he is just sleepy and not eating as much, he may be hitting a growth spurt.  I would just monitor him, make sure he is drinking water (dont want dehydration) and maybe feed him some boiled chix and rice if he is not eaching as much as you think he should.

If it continues, maybe call the vet to see if he can wait two weeks, or if the want him in now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HannaBanana\";p=\"23073 said:
Is he drinking?   Is it really hot where you are?  Are his gums pale?  Is he pooping ok?

Sorry for the questions.   If all the above is ok, and he is just sleepy and not eating as much, he may be hitting a growth spurt.  I would just monitor him, make sure he is drinking water (dont want dehydration) and maybe feed him some boiled chix and rice if he is not eaching as much as you think he should.

If it continues, maybe call the vet to see if he can wait two weeks, or if the want him in now.
The weather has actually cooled off quite a bit here recently, so I don't think it's that.  He's drinking and peeing plenty, but I haven't seen him poop at all today.  He made himself a "doggie door" by lunging through the patio screen door a couple of weeks ago though, so he may have gone out and pooped and I just didn't see it.   He's eager (as usual) for his treats when during our short training sessions, so it's not entirely a lack of appetite.  Another change that's worrisome though is that he's suddenly NOT Mr. Velcro Dog.  Yesterday and today, for the first time since bringing him home, he's not bothering to follow me around and sit at my feet.  

If he's still acting this lethargic tomorrow, I'll call the vet for advice.  Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Macy did that quite a bit when she was a puppy. She wouldn't eat for over a day sometimes and she was always sleeping.

Our vet looked her over and said that it was just due to growing.

If you get real worried about her not eating, our vet suggested giving her a cup of cooked hamburger with some kibble.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Fiona did that as well when she was about 4 1/2 to 5 months.  I worried over her, changed her foods and all.....It ended up just being a spurt also....

You can also take his temp and see if it is to high....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Kristen and Sharon.  For various reasons, I'm now pretty certain that it really is just related to a growth spurt.  It's the first thought I had but hearing both of you confirm it really put my mind at ease.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts