Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow show Peeps!! I am new to showing. I have learned that dogs are shown in slip collars (aka choke collars). I am worried about using this on my puppy. I have only ever used an easy walk harness on him, I haven't even used a normal collar!! So my question is, my pup is 5 months old. Should step one be to go to my classes with a normal collar until I have worked with him enough that he doesn't pull anymore? The last thing I want to do is cause damage.

For those who remember, my other boxer Girlie has this weird gulping problem that we figured out is acid reflux. Although that is speculation after eliminating medical issues and using trial meds. But once, when she was about 6 months old, some "trainer" showed me how to use the leash as a slip collar and when he was demonstrating he nearly strangled Girlie. I have always been worried that this was the root cause of her gulping...though the vets say it would be more persistent than it is and I assume in that case lots more dogs that show with slip collars would experience this phenomenon.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Hi fellow show Peeps!! I am new to showing. I have learned that dogs are shown in slip collars (aka choke collars). I am worried about using this on my puppy. I have only ever used an easy walk harness on him, I haven't even used a normal collar!! So my question is, my pup is 5 months old. Should step one be to go to my classes with a normal collar until I have worked with him enough that he doesn't pull anymore? The last thing I want to do is cause damage.

For those who remember, my other boxer Girlie has this weird gulping problem that we figured out is acid reflux. Although that is speculation after eliminating medical issues and using trial meds. But once, when she was about 6 months old, some "trainer" showed me how to use the leash as a slip collar and when he was demonstrating he nearly strangled Girlie. I have always been worried that this was the root cause of her gulping...though the vets say it would be more persistent than it is and I assume in that case lots more dogs that show with slip collars would experience this phenomenon.
LOL, I am the SLL guy! :)

If that "trainer" was choking the crap out of your girl?? That guy is a "tool!" There is not a shortage of bad trainers out there. I'm surprised he did not throw in "Alpha Rolling" your dog while he was at it??

You can train puppies with a SLL. Any Tool can be abused, it depends on how it's used. When used "properly" a dog is barely aware that he is even being restrained at all??

That being said here you go and ask questions.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/training-behavior/179513-slip-lead-leash.html

Welcome aboard. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts