Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I need 3 post and not sure if this will count, as I mentioned my 10 year boxer is having slipping problems. This happens inside and outside, dragging left paw. We have been to the vet and are on anti-inflamm.
I have tried several things on his feet and nothing has worked.
Please any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
10 years old, slipping and dragging left foot ... are his nails wearing down on hard surfaces is there a ... clciking sound??? It sounds like early on stages of DM??? :(

You can have a check done for DM, in anycase take a look at Ruff Wear boots, and if you try them you'll have to measure his feet ... Boxers have tiny feet ... the usual SML thing does not that work for them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is DM? we have been to the vet, xrays done mild narrowing.
I have not tried the booties, as in the past they do NOT fit...

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Sounds like spondylosis or DM. Can you post the X-ray? Both are sadly progressive which means it will get worse. Use lots of carpet runners around your home for traction. A rear harness for outside will also help you assist him to walk and do his business.

DM is degenerative myelopathy, it's genetic and usually late onset. It's very common in our breed.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
What is DM? we have been to the vet, xrays done mild narrowing.
Sorry about the acronym ... having been there done that ... I tend to make broad "assumptions" on what people know ... my bad. I can do better however. :
DEGENERATIVE MYELOPATHY - Gentry Boxers

But simple enough ... when he walks on concrete or asphalt listen for a clicking sound and take a close look at the rear toe nails for excessive wear??? If you hear a clicking sound or see damage to the rear toe nails ... stop walking him on concrete or asphalt. :)

Sadly it is ultimately terminal and at some point he will no longer be able to walk at all ... but that does not mean the end is nay ... it just means "everyone's" life will change ... but ... we got your back ... hopefully it's something else in any case.

I have not tried the booties, as in the past they do NOT fit...
LOL ... yeah tiny feet. Struddells, feet were ridiculously small??? Your gonna have to measure his feet for a correct fit and I'm pretty sure the SAR dogs on the Germanshepardforum use Ruffwear boots.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sorry to hear your guy is having troubles :(

But on a completely side note.. boxers have small feet? Really? Everyone looks at Talos and says "man he's going to be huge.. look at those paws!"

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Sorry to hear your guy is having troubles :(

But on a completely side note.. boxers have small feet? Really? Everyone looks at Talos and says "man he's going to be huge.. look at those paws!"
Oh it's not off topic. Boxer's tiny feet ... are one of those things you don't notice, until you try and fit them with boots???

The feet thing, most certainly is accurate with my GSD (Over Size Working line) 112 lbs and his feet are huge! :)

But Boxers ... not so much?? Struddell was a solid 65 lbs, and you'd not guess that by looking at her?? Plus 5 to 10 lbs pretty much the same weight as a to spec Malinois ... I was surprised??? And Boxer girls are so much smaller that the boys. When we go up to visit our friends and Gideon, I'm always surprised at how much larger he is then Struddell, was.

But the tiny feet bit ... that is my observation also but it came from "MidGuard Mastiffs" a Band Dawg Breeder, working Mastiffs usually some type of APBT crossed with other Molosser Breeds.
Molossers breeds (Molosser dogs, Molossers, Mastiff breeds)

He did an assessment of pros and cons of various breeds. And when he came to Boxers, which he does not use in his breeding program ... it was interesting. Speed Agility and Endurance were the high points ... the lows ... tiny feet and the dogs were to Goofy. :)

More than likely his assessment was based on American Line Boxers and not the Euro's ... don't know??

On the other hand ... Dogo Argentino's have Boxers in there linage and I have heard no complaints of tiny feet. :)

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
My last guy had spondylosis but the problems are the same. For inside hard floors I had the ugliest collection you would ever see of rubber backed rugs.

Outside is a larger problem. At one time I think I had every dog boot available. For the short term Vet Wrap will help.

Keep an eye on the tops of his feet and toes. Once Marty developed injuries to his toes and nails they were almost impossible to heal.

There are also some Soft Claw or Soft Paw things that you can glue over the nails that helped us as much as anything.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
My last guy had spondylosis but the problems are the same. For inside hard floors I had the ugliest collection you would ever see of rubber backed rugs.

Outside is a larger problem. At one time I think I had every dog boot available. For the short term Vet Wrap will help.

Keep an eye on the tops of his feet and toes. Once Marty developed injuries to his toes and nails they were almost impossible to heal.

There are also some Soft Claw or Soft Paw things that you can glue over the nails that helped us as much as anything.
Aww sorry man, that sucks.

It's the hard part of life with dogs ... but if mobility issues are looming a Doggy and Wheel Chair and a full body harness are necessities.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Aww sorry man, that sucks.

It's the hard part of life with dogs ... but if mobility issues are looming a Doggy and Wheel Chair and a full body harness are necessities.
It is the hardest part of life with dogs but I really don't like to think about their life without me either. We have our own schedule, language and kind of know what each other is thinking. It takes several years to get to that point with a critter you can't actually talk with.

I thought about the Wheel Chair but we did ok inside and in my part of the world outside is either up/down or the little area between. I could picture him hitting the end of the driveway at about 20 mph with no possible way to stop.

For Tucker, I'm kind of hoping to come around the house and find him gone with a Buzzard in his mouth.....he wants one so bad.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
It is the hardest part of life with dogs but I really don't like to think about their life without me either. We have our own schedule, language and kind of know what each other is thinking. It takes several years to get to that point with a critter you can't actually talk with.

I thought about the Wheel Chair but we did ok inside and in my part of the world outside is either up/down or the little area between. I could picture him hitting the end of the driveway at about 20 mph with no possible way to stop.
I won't harp on it ... I have lot's of doggy wheelchair infor for those who need to know. Rocky uses Struddell's off and on now. My "Wobbliers" GSD becasue of how he does walk ... the chair can be problamatic but we work it out.

For Tucker, I'm kind of hoping to come around the house and find him gone with a Buzzard in his mouth.....he wants one so bad.
Litterally a Buzzard??? I'm in the high NV desert and I've not seen a Buzzards out here nor mosqeuties, ticks, fleas or Alligators. :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I had a Boxer with spondylosis that knuckled under with both back feet. The vet gave him Metacam for awhile, and we limited his walks. He got better, and stopped the knuckling under. I know the vet did the x-ray under anesthesia.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I had a Boxer with spondylosis that knuckled under with both back feet. The vet gave him Metacam for awhile, and we limited his walks. He got better, and stopped the knuckling under. I know the vet did the x-ray under anesthesia.
Dogs with spondylosis
can continue to walk ... couse dogs with DM cannot???

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Spondylosis can also cause paralysis in the rear legs. We lost our 11 yr old girl last fall to spondylosis. The antiinflammatories only work short term....the difference between spondylosis and DM is that spondylosis is very painful and DM is painless.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Spondylosis can also cause paralysis in the rear legs. We lost our 11 yr old girl last fall to spondylosis. The antiinflammatories only work short term....the difference between spondylosis and DM is that spondylosis is very painful and DM is painless.
Aww ... I'm so sorry to hear this. :cry2:

I had looked into "Spondylosis" also ... out of the Box of bad crap that can happen ... that actually sounds worst??? Dogs in pain ... just adds more stress to the owner and the dog in pain. Sorry for your loss. :

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Here's a site for a wheelchair business that also does rentals! I'd love to know if they have fitted many Boxers, and how that's worked out.

https://www.k9carts.com/rear-support-dog-wheelchair-rental
Hmmm I certainly pray ... I won't have need of this info in the future but thank you! I had no idea you could rent wheel chairs???

I went with one of these ...
https://walkinwheels.com/the-dog-wheelchair

But it was a decision based on logic ... Struddell had DM and Rocky has "Wobblers." Struddell ... needed the Wheelchair ... "Rocky" may or may not??? The Walking Wheels is scale-able. When Struddell passed ... I up-sized the wheels and the rear struts, so I could use it for "Rocky" if required???

It works and we do use it off and on but it's a bit problematic because "Rocky" can walk . But he swings his rear from side to side, when he walks and it causes the wheels to actually lift off the ground??? I have to tell him to slow down and pay attention to being in it. He will sniff the ground and
bend over lower and lower and roll right over??? He also is subject to rolling over on his side out of nowhere??? Going over curves at an angle and sometimes on sidewalks or slight grades out of the blue??? So I have to stay close till we get in the dirt ... live and learn.

Ironically ... off road in the desert, rocks, dirt slight grades, snow and mud and such ... no problems??? Don't know what that's about?? Got a flat tire so have not used it in a few weeks.

The full body harness ... minus the "winnie strap" he wears all the time. He has always had trouble getting up but it's been eleven years so far ... so he deals with it. The Full Body Harness allows me to easily gave him a hand. But the full body harness was a separate purchase ... Walking Wheels I see now has a Full Body Harness, that is a part of there Wheelchair .... most likely I'll purchase one of there Full Body Harness in the near term.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Here's the K-9cart on a Boxer Chip! https://www.k9carts.com/ I hope I never need to rent one.
Oh ... "Thank You" ... that's how it's suppose to work! That "boxer" looks quite content with his new situation. And I see his back legs do still work?Most likely not DM?? I waited to late for "Struddell" she did use a couple of times but she never really adjusted ... I was overwhelmed and just struggling to cope. I just waited to long I think ... I was not on the forums at that time ... a doggy wheelchair ... never occurred to me for a very long time. :(

But compared to that ... dog ... "Rocky's" issues with Wobbler's are pretty clear, he swings his hips, very hard fromm side to side to maintain his balance ... in the wheelchair ... he does not "need" to do that ...but he seems not to know that ... so the hip swinging, can cause "issues."

It's all new to me ... but we cope, got a flat tire ... inter tube has a two inch slit in it ... but the tire is fine?? I have no idea how that happened?? So no Wheel Chair for a few weeks at this point.

Frankly based on logic and hard luck and the heartbreak train ... I should just
forget "Bully's" ... ten years ... seems to be my landmark if ... everything goes well?? And Struddell got struck down with "DM" at 8.5 years ... out of the Blue??? One year with my first Boxer/APBT Stewie lost him in an accident ... lack of training because ... he was to smart! I thought ... he understood more than he did ... that mistake on my part ... led to tragedy! And shortly following that ... my first Brindle Boxer ... Heidi ... one week of heartbreak ... vet check the day after we got her and "Parvo!" She was just to small and to weak ... a very expensive loss ... I suppose we could have just given her back ... but my puppy ... so we fought and loss. We did better with Struddell ... We did manage at least 10 years. My American Band Dawg ... Gunther yet again 10 years and he was done. :(

Rocky my GSD ... it's year 12 now ... so that is better than I've done in the past?? I have no idea how long "Wobble" dogs can live?? But ... I'm starting to have concern's with "Rocky" now???

Still ... 10 years or not ... I just luv Boxers! And even thought the Girls can be PIA's ... they make me smile. Most likely ... I'll go the rescue route and a "White Boxer" yet again ... the "Deaf" bit seems to be a "monkey wrench" in NV ... but I suppose ... I can deal with it. :)

Then another rescue GSD ... that will go better ... "this time." First time with "Rocky" (my first GSD) ... not so much (a GSD is not a Boxer) ... but we got over it. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts