Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 10 yr old boxer who often vomits her entire breakfast 6-7 hours after eating it. It's not regurgitation. Sometimes it's even 8-10 hours after eating. I have always felt that she had delayed digestion because when I had her eating kibble when I adopted her at age 7, she would almost always regurgitate 30 min later and then try to eat what she regurgitated. She also has anxiety that seems to have a direct line to how well she digests her food (aka if she's super stressed she will have diarrhea etc). She's getting older and more anxious, though, which leads to more digestive issues. Her slow tummy wasn't really much of a big deal until she turned 9, but now that she's almost 11, it's pretty front and center.

She gets soaked kibble with fresh meat and cooked veggies, but sometimes I'm in a rush and don't fully soak the kibble. I cannot feed her 100% cooked though, because for some reason her stomach isn't strong enough to digest real meat, so she'll just end up with a ton of diarrhea and she gets super hungry/ begs nonstop.

My worries are that since she's always had these digestive issues since adoption, I always had to keep her on a low fat, low fiber diet so that it wasn't too much for her tummy. However, as she's been aging, she's become obsessed with food, drinking too much water, and super anxious all the time. Although some of this is cognitive, which has been helped by some great antioxidant supplements, I can't help but wonder if it's the poor digestion that is making her worse health-wise and stress-wise. The vet said if she's always hungry to just feed her more, but I didn't know how else to explain that feeding more food to a slow moving digestive system more is not a solution, because she would just be vomiting everything up!

I did notice that her hunger and overall anxiety/ irritability was WAY better when I added omega 3 fish oil to her food. She will sleep in 1-2 hours later when she's getting that omega 3 and DHA. However, the fat will either make her vomit, or she'll have totally loose stool because her digestion can't handle it. Her fur will also start shedding a ton, which to me, indicates she's not totally digesting the fat well because usually that would make a dog's coat softer.

So I'm in this position where it's either, include omegas in her diet for the sake of her brain, anxiety but then she will be vomiting or having terrible stool // or feed her low fat, easily digestible food and watch her suffer cognitively. But even doing soaked kibble seems to be somewhat hard on her system.

I'm also concerned that the delayed stomach emptying contributes to her being hungry all the time, as technically food isn't getting to the small intestine when it's supposed to be. It seems like she's not fully getting the nutritional benefits of her diet. :(

Should I try smaller meals (not sure if this would change the poop schedule)? Maybe soak kibble for a much longer time?

Has anyone dealt with this? Perhaps I should work with a nutritionist? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have a male with very similar issuesexcept when mine is stressed or upset about anything he just won’t eat. have had lots of discussions with vets X-rays etc, so I use metaclopememide when his stomach shuts down on occasion I have a prescription from the vet it does help the stomach move along I feed him purina one digestive health with probiotics the chicken formula with fat free ground turkey mixed in. For anxiety I started using an adaptil collar you can get at chewy or wherever it seems to be helping him he does Have some separation anxiety so it’s helping cure no though but helps manage

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Have you had the vet do a senior blood panel on her? My older cairn terrier has become anxious and she does battle IBD. I recently had a S blood panel done and it showed that her liver enzymes are way way out of whack. We have had her on antibiotic to see if that reduces it, but then we had hurricane and didn't get retested. We will be starting again from scratch. She also now has a huge appetite that she didn't before when the vet asked me. She was exhibiting no signs of illness when I had her tested I just did as she will be 10 in Dec. He said she could have several different things that are causing the enzymes to be so high, from a simple infection, cushings to cancer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dog eats just a little bit at a time and I just couldn't get enough in him when having fixed mealtimes. The solution for us turned out to be free feeding where the food is left out all the time and he can go nibble at it whenever he feels like it. I still monitor how much he eats, he can just choose when to eat it.

Note that this might have the opposite effect on some dogs and they eat even less when the food is left out all the time, so if I were you I would try it, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
i have known some people that do the free feeding thing and in my opinion their dogs end up looking very underweight at least the ones I have seen. I have always fostered structured feeding times that way you know exactly how much the dog is eating plus its a helpful tool in avoiding such issues as bloat, maybe a better alternative is taking the days full ration of food and dividing to 3 meals a day

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a 10 yr old boxer who often vomits her entire breakfast 6-7 hours after eating it. It's not regurgitation. Sometimes it's even 8-10 hours after eating. I have always felt that she had delayed digestion because when I had her eating kibble when I adopted her at age 7, she would almost always regurgitate 30 min later and then try to eat what she regurgitated. She also has anxiety that seems to have a direct line to how well she digests her food (aka if she's super stressed she will have diarrhea etc). She's getting older and more anxious, though, which leads to more digestive issues. Her slow tummy wasn't really much of a big deal until she turned 9, but now that she's almost 11, it's pretty front and center.

She gets soaked kibble with fresh meat and cooked veggies, but sometimes I'm in a rush and don't fully soak the kibble. I cannot feed her 100% cooked though, because for some reason her stomach isn't strong enough to digest real meat, so she'll just end up with a ton of diarrhea and she gets super hungry/ begs nonstop.

My worries are that since she's always had these digestive issues since adoption, I always had to keep her on a low fat, low fiber diet so that it wasn't too much for her tummy. However, as she's been aging, she's become obsessed with food, drinking too much water, and super anxious all the time. Although some of this is cognitive, which has been helped by some great antioxidant supplements, I can't help but wonder if it's the poor digestion that is making her worse health-wise and stress-wise. The vet said if she's always hungry to just feed her more, but I didn't know how else to explain that feeding more food to a slow moving digestive system more is not a solution, because she would just be vomiting everything up!

I did notice that her hunger and overall anxiety/ irritability was WAY better when I added omega 3 fish oil to her food. She will sleep in 1-2 hours later when she's getting that omega 3 and DHA. However, the fat will either make her vomit, or she'll have totally loose stool because her digestion can't handle it. Her fur will also start shedding a ton, which to me, indicates she's not totally digesting the fat well because usually that would make a dog's coat softer.

So I'm in this position where it's either, include omegas in her diet for the sake of her brain, anxiety but then she will be vomiting or having terrible stool // or feed her low fat, easily digestible food and watch her suffer cognitively. But even doing soaked kibble seems to be somewhat hard on her system.

I'm also concerned that the delayed stomach emptying contributes to her being hungry all the time, as technically food isn't getting to the small intestine when it's supposed to be. It seems like she's not fully getting the nutritional benefits of her diet. :(

Should I try smaller meals (not sure if this would change the poop schedule)? Maybe soak kibble for a much longer time?

Hi guys,

She needs thiamine and magnesium. Research thiamine for anxiety and digestion. Use a fat soluble high absorption thiamine form like TTFD Thiamine needs adequate magnesium to become bioactive. Search on "sibo thiamine" to understand the brain gut connection.called the vagus nerve.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses. Sorry, been super busy these last two weeks.

When I wrote this post I really suspected slow emptying so I started soaking her kibble and feeding her spread out throughout the day. That first day that I did it seemed to give her a HUGE relief. She was no longer reactive/defensive on walks, actually seemed genuinely interested in other dogs, sleeping more peacefully, less pain when I touch under her belly.

Free feeding would not be an option for us because she will clean out the bowl immediately, she's always been a really hungry dog.

After a few days of spreading out her meals I noticed an uptick in her hunger levels, more food seeking on walks. Not totally sure what might be causing that.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I hope the smaller meals will help her with this. My female likes to eat too she would happily eat her food and my males if I let her he is just the opposite could care less about food so I am used to being the cafeteria monitor. Hopefully she will continue to do ok with the smaller servings have you ever considered one of those slow feeder bowls. They have grooves in the bottom that the food moves around making it harder to gulp the food. Has she had her thyroid checked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts