Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Abby has had some bare patches on her skin (on her back) since we got her. But as she has gotten a little bit bigger, the spots seems bit more apparent as those areas stretched a bit. Has not gotten worse really though. Initially I thought once she was on a good diet, they would go, but she's been on Canidae for about 4 months now and they are still there. Anything I should be concerned with? The vet didn't seem too concerned during our initial appointments and commented on how her coat had improved between the first appointment and the next. They don't seem red or irritated at all and she doesn't seem to fuss with them. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are the patches circular? How big are they. Our puppy came come with a couple small spots that the store told me were nicks from playing with her sister. It turned out to be ring worm. her spots were about the size of a finger nail. We treated it with drops and an anti fungal shapoo and it went away in about two months. One way the vet could tell if it was still there was by putting a black light to the spot. The fungus spots turned white  under the light.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are not circular...two are enlongated and thin, one is about 1.5 inches long, about 1/4 wide. the other long thin one is much smaller. The others are maybe like a pencil erasor size. Hair from the surrounding areas cover it so it's only really visible from an angle but where you pull the hair away you see it is bare on the spots.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Sounds like mange to me. I would get her to the vet for a skin scrape.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will call today for an appointment. If it was mange, wouldn't it have gotten increasingly worse since we got her? It hasn't changed much at all other than it being a it more visible as she has gotten a bit bigger. No redness or anything, she doesn't scratch at it, etc. Either way, I will to her in...make sure my baby is ok!

·
Registered
21 Posts
It may be mange but dont be surprised if they say it isnt.  Thyroid problems are a big problem with boxers and I once had one that had the same symptoms.  The vet couldnt figure out what it was and scraped her skin so many times, unnecessarily.  In the end they did a simple blood test and she had to be put on a pill once a day.

I dont want to scare you but I also dont want your dogs skin scraped for nothing.  This isnt life threatening but just another question to ask if it does come back negative.  

Hope that helps,
Rachel

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, thankyou for the suggestion, I will bring that up with him as well. I am hoping to get her in by Tuesday, so I will let you know.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
If it is a young dog, one would think demodectic mange.  If it is a dog older than a year, possible thyroid.  Thyroid is prevelent in this breed as is the demodex.  Demodex is typically found in males, but not necessarily.  Good luck in finding your answer.  

The treatment for a small amount of demodex for my dogs would be just time and age.  It is usally caused by an immature immune system in puppies or a weak one in older dogs.  If it gets bad I would choose a treatment for them, this wouldn't be bad to me if it were my dog and I have had this problem with male puppies in the past.

Nano

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your thoughts, I have an appointment sceduled for next Saturday with the vet. She's 9 months now, but I will bring it up with the vet anyways just in case. I noticed in the sunshine this afternoon that there seem to be some new spots..hmmm, we'll see what happens!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way, the skin scrapping came back negative..no mange, no mites, no identifiable fungus but he gave me a fungus shampoo to use twice a week...we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hmmm...Glad the scrape came back negative, but still no answers? Maybe the shampoo will do something. Let us know.  :wink:

·
Registered
375 Posts
AbbyandBrady\";p=\"6755 said:
By the way, the skin scrapping came back negative..no mange, no mites, no identifiable fungus but he gave me a fungus shampoo to use twice a week...we'll see how it goes.
My Pit bull has the same thing, everything came back negative. But we did learn he was allergic to grains. So we switched his diet to Innova EVO, it is a grain free food and in a month the spots were gone.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really? hmm...we will to consider allergies then too. I don't like how these look...I know if it is fungal, it will take some time for the shampoo to work but the skin looks awful on the bare spots...like purplish. I feel so bad for her, it doesn't seem to bother her but i just fret over them too much!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I worried too much about them also, my hubby thought I was nuts!! :D  He had one right in the middle of his head, that was the one that bothered me the most. lol

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="Starr05\";p=\"6875":eg5y1pnk]I worried too much about them also, my hubby thought I was nuts!! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts