Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
I remember Kari posting that she has either seen or owned female Boxers that were up in the 80+ lb range. It happens.

The breed standard for females is I think 55-65 lbs. Responsible breeders don't breed for increased Boxer size but rather breed for quality physical characteristics and health, at the target breed standard weight and height ranges.

I know my boy is overweight by about 8 lbs or so. So, I'm restricting his diet a bit and increasing his activity, to try and get it back down to where it should be for him.

Anyone remember Scarlett from about 4 years ago??? She was a national champion... just have a look at this beauty!!

·
Super Moderator
7,011 Posts
As Jesse stated Boxers are suppose to be a medium breed with females being 50-55lbs on average and males 70-75lbs. Now you are still going to see some dogs that are much bigger than this. I have a line of large boxers in my program, Mya is 80lbs and built like a boy, her two daughters that I kept back are 70/75lbs and their daughters are 65/75/80lbs. I try to breed them to standard size males so that we don't become one of those breeders who has 100lb boxers. Typically my girls are 55-60lbs and my boys 70-75lbs.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
As Jesse stated Boxers are suppose to be a medium breed with females being 50-55lbs on average and males 70-75lbs. Now you are still going to see some dogs that are much bigger than this. I have a line of large boxers in my program, Mya is 80lbs and built like a boy, her two daughters that I kept back are 70/75lbs and their daughters are 65/75/80lbs. I try to breed them to standard size males so that we don't become one of those breeders who has 100lb boxers. Typically my girls are 55-60lbs and my boys 70-75lbs.
Yep as a general there are some breeders that tend to produce OS dogs.

And I certainly hope I'm not getting tagged as a "basher" of OS female Boxers?? My girl was 65 llbs and no one that knew Boxers would have said she was a big girl??

I was surprised she weighed as much as she did?? Slim and trim yo! :clap:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yep as a general there are some breeders that tend to produce OS dogs.

And I certainly hope I'm not getting tagged as a "basher" of OS female Boxers?? My girl was 65 llbs and no one that knew Boxers would have said she was a big girl??

I was surprised she weighed as much as she did?? Slim and trim yo! :clap:
I was as surprised as anyone when the Vet scale read 73 lbs for Kina recently. She is trim and lithe. Her chest is fairly broad though.

I have a feeling she will end up in the 80 lb range. Her half-sib K.O., is in the 90 lb range, when he's not overweight.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I was as surprised as anyone when the Vet scale read 73 lbs for Kina recently. She is trim and lithe. Her chest is fairly broad though.

I have a feeling she will end up in the 80 lb range. Her half-sib K.O., is in the 90 lb range, when he's not overweight.
I was just as surprised when Struddell weighed in at 65 lbs??

She was still slim and trim and it took her about three years to get there.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts