Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
They are so very cute and i know that i would take any boxer baby if i could.....lol. My Boog was the runt of his litter and he is now the biggest of them all at 15 weeks so just give them time as long as there healthy and happy

·
Registered
508 Posts
Zeus, my boxer boy is kind of small for a boxer, he is only 50 lbs and isnt very tall at all. He is going to be 2yrs old on Christmas. Just short and stout.  He was tiny as a pup too. But all of his bros and sisters were small as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The white boxer has been spayed and is not the mother.  I just found the picture and wanted to share it.  Sorry I didn't make it clear.  I'll put some of my other dogs on here, including the mother.  Shelby is not registered and even though she is a boxer we couldn't take a chance.  We will love her the way she is.  Please don't make something out of nothing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your white boxer is VERY CUTE! I think your pups are just small. AS long as they are healthy...who cares?? I know plenty of people who will be attracted to those small pups just as much as the standard size pups. We all come in different shapes and sizes...why not our dogs.

SOME tell me mazey is small....I think she is average. She is 60 lbs. She could stand to gain a few pounds, but most think she is perfect the way she is.

Cannot wait to see more pictures of your pups and the parents.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Im sorry I didnt know that she was spayed and what not and IM NOT trying to make something out of nothing! Simply just trying to educate you on ethical breeding! Take in what you want.  :roll:

·
Registered
109 Posts
My Cuda' was the runt.   She was chosen because of her active personality, alertness, bright eyes,  markings etc at 6 weeks old.   She was very small but has turned out perfect in every way......including size.   They will be fine!   The smaller they are, the less stuff gets broken when they run into it!    :D

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
My concern (aside from the general ones already expressed about lack of health testing) is that you say the mother 'culled' these puppies.  That indicates there was something significantly wrong with them, so that they would have little chance of survival in the wild.  It may be the staph infection, but there may be other underlying issues of which you're not yet aware.  I would be holding on to these puppies past the usual eight weeks, at least until 12 weeks, before offering them to anyone as pets; I would also have a very thorough vet check done, including bloodwork and ultrasound of the organs before allowing them to go to a new home.  (What pops into my head, and is not completely unheard of in Boxers, is juvenile renal dysfunction; this is a devastating condition wherein the kidneys don't mature.  You can read more about one dog's struggle with this disease here:
http://www.boxerunderground.com/bu2000/ ... _story.htm)

It goes without saying that all these puppies should be on non-breeding, spay/neuter contracts, of course.

And a quick clarification on Heather's behalf:
One of the replies said I had not researched the breed, because I asked about some small boxers.
Actually it wasn't that you asked about "small Boxers" - it was that you asked about pygmy, dwarf, or midget Boxers.  Basic research would have shown that there are no such things; there is one breed, and one variety, of Boxer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Newcastle~ I understand what you are saying, and there is only ONE breed of boxer...BUT couldn't there be a flaw in the dog which would cause it to be a pygmy, dwarf, or midget???  It happens in humans, why not dogs. I am sure they have no name for it if it did happen...but why couldn't it. Surely something you would not want to happen to your dog cause that would mean it were ill, and not have as healthy a life as others...but isn't it possible?

Not that I think that is what these pup's problem is...just wondering since we are on the subject.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Here is a link to pet education regarding dwarfism in dogs.   Thought it might be educational even if it doesn't apply in this situation.  

Pituitary Dwarfism
Race Foster, DVM
Marty Smith, DVM
Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

Pituitary dwarfism is the result of inadequate production of growth hormone (GH) by the pituitary gland. The lack of production of growth hormone may be due to a lack of development of the pituitary gland, cysts within the gland, infectious diseases which affect the gland, or tumors. Growth hormone has many effects within the body including controlling the growth rate, maintaining the hair coat, and bone and teeth development. Dwarfism is hereditary in many breeds, most notably German Shepherds, Weimaraners, and Spitz.
What are the symptoms?

A puppy or kitten affected with pituitary dwarfism will fail to grow at the proper rate and proportion. It will generally be much smaller than its littermates. Its teeth will be slow to develop as will its hair coat. Affected puppies retain puppy fur rather than growing their longer more adult-like coat. Many puppies and kittens are slow or unable to progress mentally as well as physically.

What are the risks?

Because so many organs are affected by a lack of growth hormone, normal life spans are not to be expected.

What is the management?

There are no effective treatments for pituitary dwarfism in the dog or cat. The growth hormone available for use in humans has been used in dogs with limited, varying degrees of success. The cost is extremely high and the owners should be aware of this prior to beginning any therapy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I am beginning to feel sorry I ever asked a question on this forum.  I quess some of you out there think you should shoot or perhaps hold pups under water untill there dead, if they are culled or small or have some other problem from otherwise being perfect!  I hope you don't feel the same way about humans.  As far as turning them loose in "THE WILD", I don't think that's going to happen.  I don't love boxers because they are as pure as new snow.  I love them for the way they are and the way they love me back!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I am sorry but i dont understand why you are getting so defensive. no one even suggested killing the puppies or anything to that matter so i am not sure why when you respond you would go to that extreme. What is this about "the wild".  we are just trying to inform, but yet you are putting words in our mouths. i dont see the point.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Who ever said they think that way????? Just because we love the breed and are passionate about the ethical breeding of them doesnt mean we are going to shoot, hold them under water or whatever because they arent perfect!! That statement alone is just rediculous!  :roll:  It just ticks me off beyond no belief that there are hundreds of boxers dieing and living shelter lives because of the people that just breed because "they can"  :evil:  No health tests or nothing.

The posts that were posted in this thread were informative and you obviously looked over that!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I agree Andrea...No one said anything about killing the pups or putting them in the wild...what was said was if the mum "culled" them that it was likely due to something wrong with them that would cause them to NOT survive in the wild (victims of natural selection)...

Furthermore...

Everyone here has either offered advice or said how beautiful the pups are so even I don't understand your defensive behavior...

You came here for advice...you got it...

Did you not agree with the advice you got?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I am again sorry I made a comment.  I've had 4 litters over the past 10 years.  I am losing money with my backyard puppy mill.  Maybe because I'm trying to breed a spayed white puppy.  All the comments were not helpful, only Kate did research on dwarfism and I thank you for that.  I also thanked all the comments on the appearence of my dogs.  I didn't like the other things about my inferior breeding standards.

·
Registered
61 Posts
About time a mod locked this thread. There is no sense in the fighting that is taking place. A person asked for information and imo was assaulted.  While its fine to have your personal opinions and its fine to state them. I dont think its fine to belittle someone over them. You've made your point, your not making it any more valid by calling someone unethical. In some situations you just need to be able to agree to disagree and move on.

P.S. I'm not trying to offend anyone by what i said.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
but once again, you did not specify that your white girl was spayed, you just posted a pic. there was no way for us to even know that she wasnt the mom or spayed if you didnt tell us.which you did in a later response. no one said you were running a puppy mill either. so why assume that is what we are saying?? so once again i dont understand such a hostile response.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.