Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 2 puppies that stay outside during the day and come inside at 10:30 at night and go back out at 5:30 in the morning...I'm in San Diego...I cannot see anything on the bumps...they look like mosquito bites? could this be possible? if so watcha guys doing to keep em off at night? or could it be something else in my back yard? it just started TODAY and they've been back there for about 3 weeks...just changed em over on food a couple days ago...could they use a bath? flea's wouldn't make bumps would they?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Could be bites or hives.  Benadryl (regular Diphenhydramine HCI kind)  one 25 mg tablet per 25 pounds of dog.  You can split the hard tabs in half if needed.  I have also used the liquid Children's Benadryl but you need an oral syringe to give it. It could be hives probably from bites from something.  Fleas can cause that.  I don't leave my dogs out in yard unatteneded due to boxers being sensitive to bites and such.  My female came in yesterday and all of a sudden had big welts coming up around her eyes.  Something had bitten her, don't know what, but gave the recommended Benadryl dose and they went away within a half hour.  If they are mosquito or fly bites they won't go down as quick and benadryl might not help that.  ALso if it is hives from something they tend to take longer to go away with my dogs, like 2 -4 days even with the Benadryl.

Nano

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Reaction to something sounds like hives - Nano is good with the Benadryl, however Boxers are inside dogs.  I would never leave mine outside do to things like bee stings that can possibly kill them shall they have a reaction.   They are short muzzled dogs and heat, bites ect can all have a life altering effect.   5:30am to 10:30 pm is IMO too long of a duration outside.   Is anyone home during that time??

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Sounds like hives to me too, Kiah gets them when there is a lot of dew on the ground.  Benadryl helps but it takes a couple of days for them to go away.

I want to add about leaving your dogs outside all day;  there is a heat issue with boxers during hot days, they can get heat stroke very easily which could kill them.  Please bring your dogs inside.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Mosquitos aren't a big issue in So cal, but there are soo many things that could be causing it, including the food..what were you feeding and what did you switch to? Bathing would help them feel better, but that wouldn't be the cause..Boxers really don't need to be bathed much, unless they roll into something disgusting....

I have to agree about leaving them outside for such long periods, I realize SD has a pretty mild climate, but still, there are just way too many things that pups, even adult dogs can get into...Then add into the mix the possibility of theft

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
oooppppsss, youve enter the world of Boxer lovers here im afraid and us Boxer mums and dads are quite protective of our little ones. The whole issue of them being outside for long is going to caus a bit of a stir 8O
Im sure that you must interact with them, right?? 8O  8O

When we lived in africa Zulu used to get bites, could have been anything, ants or bugs, never fleas caus they dont have any so i wouldnt know about that kinda bite. :)
Zulu got stung by a bee and had a massive allegic reaction, luckily i was off work that day as the day before he jumped up at the door which i hadnt closed properly and pulled my toe nail off, thank god he did. He came up in massive lumps all over his body, his eyes swelled shut and his breathing was bad. We rushed him to the vet which was mins away and it was really touch and go, ive never been so pleased to be injured and at home in my life. If id have been at work that day, my dog would have been dead by the time i got home 8O
What im trying to say is that things happen regardless, but 17 hours is very long for them to be alone, unless of course they arent? :?

My dogs have free run of the house with doors open, they come and go as they please and are always watched, you have to with a boxer, they are just too busy to be left alone :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts