Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 1 year old boxer dog (Archie) is reallly small to the point that people are always shocked when we tell them that he's 1! They always look at me like I'm a terrible owner! People have said he looks like a 4/5 month old pup.

He weighs about 12kg, and he's only about 59 cm (23 inch) from ground to his shoulders and around 70 cm (28 inch) from ground to the top of his head. (I have tried to upload some pics; hopefully they work! The one next to other dogs gives a good reference, he's the little red boy at the front with white socks!)

We've had a hard time getting Archie as a pup on food that he likes, he just refused to eat for a while which was so stressfull as you can imagine. We spent a fortune on 4 vets opinions, tests etc. To be told that there's absolutely nothing wrong with him. We have him really settled on Arden Grange which he gobbles up (yay!) And he's got all the boxer energy you can imagine!

His size doesn't bother us now, were not stressed or upset about it now and we are happy that he's happy, healthy and very fit, but I wondered if anyone else has a boxer as small?! He's a very slim build like his daddy, but his height is very short and his head neck etc are all still very small and puppy like. Does he still have time to grow?

We love our boy and wouldn't change him for the world but thought it would be interesting to see if anyone has a teacup boxer?!

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum!

Archie is a cutie! However, 12 kg (26.5 lbs.) at 1 year does seem rather small. Is that a typo? Just confirming because I don't ever think I've heard a boxer being that small unless it was crossed with something else.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Been a long time since school....can you translate his weight to lbs. We have a small female turning 1 in 2 weeks. She probably weighs 43 to 45 lbs. Her head is tiny. She was the runt and was half the size of her littermates. She is the white. Her brother is aboit 74 lbs to give you perspective.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
My boxer was beyond picky he wouldn't eat his food and would pick all day we tried taking it away after 20 minutes then trying again he still didn't care so he had to be free fed. We tried every food you can imagine I then switched him to a raw diet now he looks forward to meal time everyday and gobbles it all up. No advice on the size besides if you get him more interested in food and eating regularly he might fill out a little more

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just weighed him again there, he's about 15kg now (33lbs).

He's really settled on his food now and has been for the past few months which is good. He eats double the amount Arden grange recommend (since their feeding guidelines do it by weight and not age and breed), so he's getting enough! I just wonder if because of all the problems with food early on it has stunted his growth?

We've met one other female boxer who was the same height as him (she was 7 years old so fully grown) but obviously much chunkier. I think Arch will bulk out naturally but I don't think he'll get any taller! Does anyone know when the growing usually stops?

Like I said, he's fantastic dog and our baby so we are not too bothered!

He is kc reg and we saw both parents (the two parents were the breeders pets both lovely dogs but not HUGE like you see some boxers) I couldn't see any reason for them to lie...we saw all the brothers and sisters and I think he looks (and certainly plays!!) like a boxer? What do you think looking at his face?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Huh well there is a size range and I guess he's just on the very small size of the scale for whatever reason? But he certainly looks to be 100% Boxer to me. :)

Maybe a breeder can render an opinion they would be the one's most likely to have seen this before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, these have been reallly helpful answers :) and that's interesting that his height is ok. He's very slim but I know a lot of people have said they are a bit gangly until they bulk out at around a year and a half. He gets plenty of exercise and off the lead running around daily so he'll build up more muscle too I'm sure.

And yes, my boy is very cute but by God doesn't he know it haha!! When people walk past him and dont clap him he looks at me as if to say "what was all that about? Didn't they see me?!"

X

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And yes, one of the tests (ran twice by two separate vets) was testing for liver stunts among other thinks (I think that's the same thing as the thyroid panel thing?) And they came back fine. They also did an internal screening to check everything there. All ok! (phew!)

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
My Brandi is very small for a boxer a little chunky but short and petite she however was a puppy mill puppy that was starved once she started putting on some size she filled out well but she is only 19 at the withers and 24 to the top of her head and she is much shorter in length than my other two Ziggs is a bit on the large side brandi is the dark brindle in my siggy

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Thanks everyone, these have been reallly helpful answers :) and that's interesting that his height is ok. He's very slim but I know a lot of people have said they are a bit gangly until they bulk out at around a year and a half. He gets plenty of exercise and off the lead running around daily so he'll build up more muscle too I'm sure.

And yes, my boy is very cute but by God doesn't he know it haha!! When people walk past him and dont clap him he looks at me as if to say "what was all that about? Didn't they see me?!"

X
Wyatt is 20 months and he is like 21 1/4 inches tall at the withers.

And he also does the same, when people pass us and don't come over to greet him or pet him he's like wtf mom I'm adorable how could you NOT want to pet me!!!! Most people I learned are just afraid of "big" dogs. But when they meet Wyatt they change their perspective! He will snuggle on their legs and give them those sweet brown eyes:) there's about 6 people on our walk now that have treats ready for him!

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
Had a 45lbs boxer male,they are faaaaast and nimble like unreal.

Oh,and you can snuggle with them no problemo,they dont take space :)

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
well isn't he just the cutest thing; some great things come in small packages! He looks awesome - and yes like the above post says he'll take less room whether in bed or on the couch

1 - 20 of 27 Posts