Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Savvy and Reese are doing so so in the commands/tricks department. They sit and lay down, but thats about all :) no matter how hard i work with them the never seem to catch on to the other things like stay, shake, roll over. Well Mr. Samson has been hiding some wondeful little talents!! He sits, stays, lays down and rolls over!! i learned all this tonight, so now i am going to start working on play dead and a few others.....hopefully i can get him to smile on command like Hanna does. Heather didnt you say the way you taught hanna was by saying smile and treating each time she did it?? I am so excited!! I am trying to get a video of him doing these things :) hopefully i can post this tomorrow

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When we first started i would grab the paw as i was saying shake and kinda wiggle it. Savvy got to the point that she started pawing my leg, so when i would see her lefting her paw for that i will grab it say shake and treat. Reese just gives me a blank look like "what ever mom" and tries to turn away....she is very stubborn!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Shake was the easiest trick for Spinx to learn.  Try putting a really good treat in your fist, and while they are sitting, put the treat right in front of their face with their heads angled down a bit.  This way they can smell the treat but cannot get it.  Eventually, they should start to paw at your closed fist.  Just click (if you use a clicker) and treat.  I think Boxers pick up on this easier than other dogs because they naturally like to use their paws more.  If they don't paw at your fist, try tickling the lower back of their leg.  Just be precise with your click/reward and they should catch on real fast.

G

·
0 Posts
I would love for them to learn "play dead!"  I saw a video of a boxer doing that actually.  may have been on here.

Binga knows shake, sit, down, stay, high-five..   and other various things.  I use my hands a lot so she knows some motions.  Bear is doing sit, down, shake and we are learning stay.  he learns things quick from watching Binga.  

i would love to see a video of him and his tricks!  the smiling thing i would LOVE to see.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am hoping to teach limp, crawl, play dead. and then have him do them in order so he puts on a little show :) wouldnt that be adorable?? I have searched out many tricks that i want to teach him...i will be teaching for the next 10 yrs!! :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Way to go Samson! Some hidden talent there Andrea.... :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I think I see another celeb in the making!  :D  Way to go Mr. Samson!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Nothing, she always smiled and then I just labeled it with a comman and treat. Now she does it all the time!

Its one thing about those Germans. they are sooo eager to please!  And IMO easier to train because of their working backgrounds!!!  Way to go Mr. Samson!!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
The smile thing would be fun to teach.  Heather, do you have a picture of Hanna doing that?

I am absolutley amazed at how fast Harleigh is learning. She is not quite 6 months old yet and knows sit, stay, leave it, lay, speak, shake, high five, and her new one is roll over. She learned that within a half an hour. Speak took maybe 5 minutes. Next up...playing dead which I think will come easy now since she knows lay and roll over. Seems to be half the battle right there.

But then again, they say that Boxers in general are one of the most intelligent. And I couldn't agree more

·
Registered
231 Posts
Logan does, sit, down, up, speak, paw, high five, catch and go deep. Go deep is pretty much fetch but he has to run first oppose to just sit and then fetch. Roll over and play dead or "bang bang" as I saw on a video here hasn't gone over too well. I will have to work on shake and smile this weekend hadn't thought of that...

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
How cute and cool is that.   :D

Id love to teach Zulu to smile and Crawl on command. 8->

He already does sit, stay, wait, fetch, roll over (although its only a half roll!) and he does play dead, he also does quickly like when we are walking and crossing a road, i saw quickly and he ups the pace, very cute caus i see is his butt wiggle across the road and does a few other things, all what i taught him when he was very small. O:)  >:D<

Although he does tend to get selective deafness when it suits him %-(

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tired working on play dead last night...but he was so excited to get treats that he kept rolling completley over!! silly boy. I was so excited i was telling my boss and my bf about it and they just gave me these really funny looks and where like "hes just a dog" pshhhh  :roll: what ev!! he is a SMART dog :D

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so this video was very hard to do. first my bf kept doing stupid stuff while recording, then my daughter kept jiggeling it and couldnt hold a stead hand. so i finally had to create a little stand push the record do the thing with samson and go back and stop it. a little ghetto but without further ado...my man samson

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
what a smart boy!!! wtg samson!!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
What a grea video Andrea, he is such a smart boy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts