Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nikko is our rescue dog so not sure how he lived before us but sometimes he snaps at me or hubby.  Last night Niko was laying on the couch and I wanted him to get off. (My mom was staying over and she wanted the couch) Well, I called him a few times to get down and he wouldn't.  I tugged on his collar, very gently, just to nudge him to get down and he snapped at me.  He's done it before if we've grabbed his collar to get him to move somewhere. (sometimes he's stubborn and when you call him he just sits there)  Ok so what do I do?  How do I get that to stop and what do I do when he does it?  It's kinda scary.  I pulled my hand back so he didn't get me and then I just told him NO NO!  Other than those times we go for the collar he's not an agressive dog.  Please HELP!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I would try to use a leash attached to the collar.  Maybe have a short 4 foot one with the handle cut off and leave on him and let him just drag it while in house.  Next time you try the "off" command for the couch or whatever, you can gently guide with a little tug on the leash.  It could be that grabbing him by the collar is a bit too harsh for him.  My dogs don't really like it either if I happen to grab them by the collar.  They don't snap, but they tense up and balk over it and give me a look about it.  I try to remember to grab a leash even if it takes me longer to get them to do what I am expecting.  They do much better when I use the leash with them.  It seems your only problem is over going for the collar.  It would make me wonder if someone had strung him up with it by grabbing it and holding him up by it.  Hopefully this will help with the problem.  Have you been working obedience with him also?  It will help you bond and give him a sense of what you would like with him out of life.  Sits, stays and things like that with lots of praise for doing them correctly.  They-re beautiful dogs.

Nano

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
what nano suggested is a great idea.  It is hard to know why some dogs do this and you always wonder about abuse especially in a rescue dog.  But, at the same time it is scary to have a dog snap at you and then I feel easy for you to become hesitant while reaching or correcting them.  They are so smart and of course sense your fear and hesitance.  So the leash idea is a great one.  Training I think is another good one so that you can have a better bond with him.  Maybe Liz may have some other ideas....

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I wonder if it would work better for you to call him to you instead of telling him to get off or move over.  I'm no expert, but trying to move Kane over is like moving a brick house, but if I call him to me he's right there.  Just a thought.  Liz can tell you what you are really suppose to do lol.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Lola used to do that all the time.  I've learned to either put her leash on or nudge her from the back.  I never grab her collar anymore and it stopped.  Good luck!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.  Yeah, next time I'll try the leash.  I did try to call him to me first but he just didn't feel like moving. LOL  He's a lazy boy sometimes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts