Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, what a week!  Oggie caught conjunctivitis last weekend, he's been on Vetropolycin HC (bacitracin gel) since Monday, it's to continue for a few more days.  The eyes are pretty much completely fine now but now for the past 2 days he's been sneezing non-stop.  Throughout the night, sitting up, laying down, wherever.  There is almost a constant discharge from the nose.  It is clear though, I have made sure.  All of a sudden his stools are all very loose and almost a bright yellow.  He recently switched to Merrick and that caused a few loose stools but now I'm giving boiled chicken and rice, and it's almost looking worse.  I just went to the vet Monday but I'm trying to get in again today (Saturday is tough).  Anyone have any ideas whats going on?  As I mentioned before, he spent 3 days at doggie daycare last week which is pretty new for him.  I wonder if it's possible he caught all of this stuff there.  He's still pretty young and maybe his immune system wasn't ready for that.  There really are no other symptoms (no coughing, no weird discharge, no blood, he's still eating, he still plays).  I did try benadryl and all it did was make him sleepy, where in the past it has helped with rashes and such.

I'm at wit's end!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Well, maybe the medicine is causing the yucky poos.  I have no idea about the sneezing though.
Poor baby.  He's to cute to be sick!  Maybe he got something up his nose like fuzz off a toy or something.
Hope he gets better soon! :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hoosiers first few rounds of day care caused the same thing. He got Kennel cough twice and a stomach parasite. Nothing has happened in a long time, which leads me to believe that his immune system was just being put through the ringer.

As for Merrick, I feed it now, but I'm thinking of switching. Hoosier has loose stool as well..as a matter of fact, its never been "hard". At most its been sort of DQ softserve consistency. I'm going to try their poulty based flavor and if its still soft, I'll give it up. It may be too rich or the buffalo and venison in the wild blend just may be too much for his stomach. Maybe the same for Oggie.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HoosiersDaddy\";p=\"66239 said:
Hoosiers first few rounds of day care caused the same thing. He got Kennel cough twice and a stomach parasite.
Interesting.  Did they give meds for the stomach issue?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Poor Oggie, he's having a tough time lately and it sucks cos you guys are missing the big play date today as well....I was wondering if the meds could be causing the loose stools also...Not sure on the runny nose, does sound like a bit of a cold and very likely caught from daycare...His immune system may not be ready for all that yet.....Please keep us posted on what the vet says, ok?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Hope Sully is feeling better soon...It is possible he "caught a bug" at daycare and of course it is possible he just has a cold.....You are doing right on making sure the discharge is not colored and also there are no other UResp signs such as coughing....A general cold will run it's course like in people......IT all depends on how bad it is and if it appears to be worse to you....On the loose stool I would make sure he did not pick up anything from daycare and you could ask the vet for something to firm his stools up...a yellow stool can sometimes indicate bacteria/coccidia......

Sorry he is going through it here as of late

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vet was unable to see me today so I decided to wait and see, the sneezing seemed to subside.  I just took him out and he had yellow loose stool and a bit of a blood on top.  Needless to say now I'm freaking out, calling Emergency animal hospitals.  No one will %[email protected]%@$ take me....I can't get anybody on the line.  This SUCKS

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Call Roberts Anicam Hospital, tell them the symptons and what they suggest.   They are an e hospital and very good on giving advice before you lose your arm and leg to come in.    781-826-2306

Also maybe the meds - and feed him a bland diet.  Hanna did a yellowish stool this am.   Think its somewhat due to the fact we were running around a lot.  Good Luck with Oggie - hope he feels better!!!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Heather.  I got through to Tufts in Walpole, they were very nice.....the technician told me as long as he isn't vomiting or has a lot of blood or gets worse, it can probably wait until Monday to see my vet.  But if he gets worse I can bring him in for emergency appointment.  

He does seem to be fine and he's still eating/drinking.  I don't know what to feed him at this point!  The boiled chicken and rice didn't seem to help.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
There was blood in the stool when my Adidas would get intestinal irritation, in his case from food allergies.  It was not a large quantity, but bright red with mucous also present.  In his case the Internist was not alarmed unless there was severe bleeding.  It usually was gone within a few days, and the loose stool was also yellow at times.  We would fast him to give his system a little rest.  I know dogs can develop some of these symptoms from polyps.  Sure had me freaked out the first time until we could get him in to the vet for clarification.  Oggie is a doll, why do they always get sick on weekends?

Ann
Adidas Boxer

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
can always keep angel memorial on the back burner too Sully...i know its far but ive always had great luck with them over the yrs...but ya cant beat Tufts...

hope hes feeling better...you arent going to that doggie day care up that back road are you? i cant for the life of me think of the name of it..but its not too far from you and its on a sort of main road parking lot goes downward? park infront and walk in to the desk on immediate left?smaller place..

hope hes feeling better today poor guy

theres also a really great vet thats an older man...sorry i can tthink of his name either...lol..but its on main street behind a store..right before the gas station on the right..across from the pizza place...its a small place and they are SO SO nice..and super reasonable..i left LLoyds for them..

·
Registered
839 Posts
Bless his heart!!! I'm wondering if maybe he could have allergies as well as the other stuff going on? As far as the blood, I'm not sure, could be the meds? Dozer has allergies really bad, and he does the same thing, the sneezing and sometimes itching at his eyes. Sorry I couldn't have helped more. Lots of WOOOO-WOOOO's from Harley and Dozer!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your concern.  Sorry for the dramatic posts, it's a helpless feeling when you just know something's not right!  I've been keeping an eye on him, he's still hungry as ever, drinking water, seems fine.  I took him outside and he was running around like a maniac, so much energy.  I think food allergies could be a real possibility, he's had some reactions in the past (rashes/bumps on ears) and has had a sensitive stomach at times.  Also it could be the meds, he's been sensitive to medication in the past (Temeral made him really sick to his stomach, he vomited it up.)   This could also be my fault, I have fed him more different stuff lately just because he eats like 5 times a day and he could stand to gain some weight.  Plus Merrick never seemed to work well, I bought some Canidae today because I know it agrees with him.   He just eliminated outside and although it was yellow nasty color, there was no blood so at least it was sorta relief.   I think fasting for the rest of the day might be a good idea.  

Ky I think I know the daycare place you are thinking of ("Best Friends"?) and that's not where I brought him.  I found another local place, you wouldnt' even know it's there unless somebody told you.  I also think I know the vet you are talking about, my neighbor told me about him.  Forget his name too but I did call and they had weird hours so that's why I didn't go there.  But that's 2 people vouching for him now so I might look into it.

Oggie's excited to watch the Patriots tonight with me so I'm hoping he gets better in time for kickoff!  Thanks again everybody for your support, you are all the best.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS THATS IT BEST FRIENDS....YA RIGHT !!! NOT BEST FRIENDS IS MORE LIKE IT..GOOD LORD !!! IVE BEEN IN THAT PLACE IN THE BACK TO VISIT A FRIENDS DOG ...HE WAS IN A CCAR ACCIDENT AND THE FAMILY BOARDED THE DOG UNTIL THEY COULD GET THINGS STR8...THAT PLACE IS AWEFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!!! TO SAY THE LEAST !!!!!!!!!!

& yes that vet has some odd hours lol...but hes super flexible..if you need a different time hell try hard to accomadate you as a regular customer..

and WHOOOOOOOOOOOOP WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP ON THE PATS !!!! OOGIE WILL FEEL FINE FOR THAT HAHA

boy those were the days...we lived right on washington street..on game days there were tons of people going to the game and it was always fun !!

:(  :? missin home

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Poor Oggie, yea, maybe fasting might not be a bad idea since nothing else seems to work..Have you tried a bit of pumpkin? that usually helps, but if something else is causing it, might not help much....I hear ya about the game tonite, hope i cna keep myself awake to watch it all :) Do ya think they can make that perfect season?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts