Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Baz is sneezing more then normal. He's got seasonal allergies but there is snow on the ground and I'm just not sure what's going on.  He's not coughing at all.  Does anyone have any idea on what to do?  Should I try to give him a Benadryl and see if the symptoms subside?
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well Benadryl would not hurt anything....just make sure to give him the right dosage.  You would be suprised how many people give less then they need to....Also, you want to give it on a semi empty stomach (something to eat, but not after a heavy meal) because alot of food absorbs the Benadryl....

Keep in mind it could be seasonal things such as changes in the house ie: if you have put up a Christmas Tree, put out decorations that have been boxed up for a while (dust), burning new candles or things like that as well.....

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much Benadryl should I give him? He's 70 lbs?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I hope Baz is feeling better soon! The dose for Benadryl is 1-2 mg per lb. (60-lb. dog, 2-4 25mg tablets every 8 hrs.) For Baz, I would give 3- 25 mg tablets.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yes he can have 3 to 4 tablets (25mg tabs) every 8 to 10 hours

Wanted to mention that you can also use the liquid.....So on the 25 mg liquid it would be 3 1/2 cc or a 1/3 of a tablespoon.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's still sneezing on the Benedryl so I'm thinking I might have to take him to the vet. I don't know what to do about a doggy cold... Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
He will probably have to have some antibiotics and maybe another form of allergy med (for dogs)....As long as he is still eating and drinking you are still in good shape though

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Could you maybe have mold somewhere?  My allergies are always bad but end when it freezes and there is snow on the grown here too.  My mom told me that I may have mold somewhere (which I do, my shower leaks hopefully adam is going to fix it soon).  Just a suggestion, I don't really know though.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey! I just got back from the vets office and they said it's just allergies and not to worry about it!  He's peppy like normal and happy just sneezy.  We've let him sleep on our bed the last couple nights because he keeps on waking up sneezing. So alls well, they said to come back if it gets worse.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Glad to hear it wasn't anything major...You wouldn't think it would be allergies this time if year, but it's not unheard of....

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what I was thinking he said it could have just been a common cold or something, just the sneezes, his snot is clear and he's peppy, he doesn't have a temperature or anything. I wouldn't think it was allergies this time of year either.  It's kind of crazy really.
I was also worried that he might have ringworm becuase somehow I managed to catch ringworm and there was a red spot on his toe and the vet said it was just rubbing from one toe to the other.  I work with animals but non of the animals have it where I work... Kinda crazy really!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Sampson is doing the reverse sneezing and coughing a bit for the past two days - runny nose and eyes. He has never done this before. I wondered if it was allergies or a cold. Our weather here is so screwy ( 80 one day and 50 the next...) who knows??? If it continues, I am going to get him checked out.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The doctor said it was just allergies because his nose was running clear I wasn't giving him enough benedryl, so now he's doing a lot better. We were having the crazy weather too, 70 all the way to 30 or below, it's nasty! Is his snot clear or colored?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Lizcantjump\";p=\"57484 said:
The doctor said it was just allergies because his nose was running clear I wasn't giving him enough benedryl, so now he's doing a lot better. We were having the crazy weather too, 70 all the way to 30 or below, it's nasty! Is his snot clear or colored?
It is clear. Poor guy (and poor us, he kept waking us up last night!)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Baz was waking us up at night too I was so nervous it was something worse but it wasn't. You should try benedryl, my vet said give him 2 benedryl two times a day or three if it's a really bad day for him.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Lizcantjump\";p=\"57561 said:
Baz was waking us up at night too I was so nervous it was something worse but it wasn't. You should try benedryl, my vet said give him 2 benedryl two times a day or three if it's a really bad day for him.
I haven't tried that yet. I am a bit nervous about the dosage amount - it sounds like A LOT! I know benadryl makes me so drowsy and I only take two! If he is not any better tonight, I will try it. He is the same weight as Baz. I know - it really does sound awful. I bolted out of bed at 3:30 this morning when he was having an attack to try to calm him.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts