Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Snorting puppy

8K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  samsonsmom 
#1 ·
I need some advice - I just called the breeder to see if we can pick up our new pup Friday night.
She said that the pup is fine, the vet gave the dog a good bill of health but the dog snorts.
She said the dog snorts when it gets excited.
Is this normal? Should I be worried of something?

She is the only one of the litter that does this.

Linda

#2 ·
Hi, and welcome to the forums.  :)
Boxers are a brachycephalic breed, which means their mouth and nose areas are significantly smaller than other breeds. Because of this they do have a tendency to snort and also snore. My previous boxer did snort when he was playing and he also snored....very loudly! He eventually grew out of the snorting, but never the snoring.
The snorting could also mean she's got allergies, or something could be lodged up her nose. There could be a lot of explanations. Or, she might just be a snorter. My advice to you is to bring her to your vet and have the pup checked out, and voice your concern with the snorting. Good Luck with your new pup!

#3 ·
Our little girl snorts a lot too. Especially when she plays and gets excited. They'll even come out when she sighs with a toy in her mouth. She'll be kissing me all over and snorting at the same time. She also is a snorer! I thought this was normal.... please advise if I should be concerned.

#5 ·
That reminds me of when Daisy was about 5 and a half weeks old when we went to see her at the breeders. She was such a gorgeous little thing running around, playing with toys making little snorting noises as she went! She was so excited, and I have to say it was very cute! But ever since we got her home she never made the noise ever again! She'll only occasionally grunt a little now when she has a big toy stuffed in her mouth and my boyfriend is persuing her to get it off her!
You can always ask your vet for advice if you are concerned about it, but hopefully it is just happy boxer snorting!

Heather

#7 ·
thanks everyone - I feel better now and tomorrow I will have my little baby home!
We have to drive about an hour out to get her (in the snow). I hope she will be ok in the car for an hour coming home.
I have my box all prepared.
We cleaned and puppy proofed the house today. I was able to get my hands on a small cage, went out to get puppy food this evening and a baby gate.

I think I am ready!!!

Linda

#9 ·
Samson snorts a lot. There are times I would swear I have a horse rather than a boxer....He snores, but not terribly loud, except when he's dreaming..... :)

It's really not that unusual to snort, my other 2 did it..But when it's in your face,,,Wellllll  :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.