Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I walk both dogs in the mornings and evenings. There are just some dogs in our neighborhood that irk my dogs. One is a American Eskimo. Well, we saw him this morning on our regular walk so I calmly put down my poop bags and put my dogs at a sit-stay as the person goes by (on the other side of the street). Well, my dogs both break their sit-stay and are barking and pulling me.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
One of the things is that you probably tense up and the dogs feel the tension through the leash.  Try to be calm, ignore the other dog like he is not even there and your babies probably will too.  I had Kiah at the vet one time and she loves playing with any of the dogs there and while I was trying to pay she was all over the place trying to play with a puppy.  The man behind me asked if he could hold her so I could write out my check, I didn't think I was tense or nervous but she sat for him, didn't budge and she was on a loose leash.  It really did open my eyes to what you can communicate to your babies.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are probably right about that, Barb, I already anticipated the worst.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Think positive, I never stop with the dogs, I force them to stay in heel, and I tap their side with me knee if they get to exciting to bring their attention back to me.  Jetta has a few grudges too, and its embarrassing one is the sweetest lab...

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Try to not worry about what others think and just focus on your dogs and what they need to be doing.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
:roll: Onyx lets the world know is this HUGE BIG boy bark that he will not tolerate any quick movements towards Isis at all..even a dog walking by just sniffing towards Isis is enough to send Onyx into protect mode...which i really dont mind b/c isis has been hurt by thinking everyone wants to play and she is deaf so hears NO warning growls...

funny thing is that Onyx was totally alone when we got him..he was 4 and had never been socialized really...so hes learned that he has to bark at and near Isis to get her attention..(she feels the vibration) BUT Onyx thinks every dog is deaf and therefore has to bark his feelings at all and any dog lol 8O

in the past i had made mine sit and i think it made them focus totally ON what was walking by or across the street..if i keep walking like nothings wrong and dont allow them to even miss a step they may glance over there...but keep on going

good luck sweetie..maybe the other dog was jealous b/c hes not a boxer & made a rude doggy comment:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts