Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as some of you know, Emmet and I are part of a volunteer network that operates all over Leinster (the province we live in) to get dogs out of the various council pounds and into no-kill shelters and rescues.  We usually do the last leg of the journey from Carlow to Puppy Rescue in Kilkenny.  We had a run to do last night, and when I rang the woman who was bringing the dogs to Carlow to ask how many passengers we'd have, she said "Oh just two, a Boxer and a little lurcher-type one."  I was immediately thinking "Oh no, I'm going to be heartbroken by this dog."

Anyway, when we arrived at the meet-up spot, she was walking the Boxer around the car park and I nearly cried when I saw him.  He was just skin and bone, and when we went up to him, he just put his head down and looked up at us like he didn't know what we were going to do with him.  No beaning, no little nub wagging, no kisses or licks - he was just the antithesis of what a healthy Boxer would be.  Anyway, we loaded the two dogs into the back of the van and he came up behind our seats and just sat there with his head on the back of them for the entire journey.  I kept turning around to pet him and talk to him, and about 45 minutes into the journey, he gave me a big lick on my face...

... Can you see where this is going???!!!

Well, when we got to the rescue to drop them off, he wouldn't get out of the car.  The woman who runs it was joking saying "Oh look, he wants to go home with you", and Emmet and I just looked at eachother and, well, that was it!  So, everyone, meet Boru!

He's a huge guy, but very skinny so needs to put on a lot of weight

This photo kind of shows how skinny he is, but he looks so much worse in person

He has a huge head and his face really reminds me of Voltaire's!

"Can I really stay here forever?"

So, he came home with us last night and the difference in his disposition after an hour of running around with Tink and Hector was just unreal - he was a totally different dog.  He did try to mount Tink a few times, which didn't go down well at all with her or Hector, but we just kept telling him "leave it" every time he tried it and he soon stopped.

So, his back story is that he came into the pound as a stray and he was due to be put down on Saturday, but the rescue co-ordinator asked them to keep him until Monday and she'd be able to pick him up then.  He is neutered and housetrained, and he obviously has had some kind of other training because he's very well behaved (and will actually stack automatically for you) but he doesn't know how to sit.  He also obviously wasn't allowed onto the furniture in his last home either, because he wouldn't come onto the couch at all last night!  He has the most beautiful silky coat, and apart from being quite underweight, he's in really good condition.  He was obviously someone's very well looked after dog, and just got out and ended up straying.  Judging by his weight loss, he was wandering lost for a while.  The pound estimate his age at about 2.5 or 3.  He'll be going to our vet for a check-up tonight, so we'll  see what they think on that.

So, Emmet and I are in agreement that we're totally mad, and my family are probably going to think I'm certifiable, but he's home with us now and there he shall stay!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Eimear that is just wonderful!
You're my hero right now! :lol:
Good luck with the new dog.  Hope everything works out at the vet.
And . . . that's why I don't work with the shelters! :lol:   I'd be bringing them all home!
Makes me cry.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
What a happy ending for Boru! I'm so glad he is in a stable and fun loving home for the rest of his years! He does have a big beautiful head, and I don't think it will take too long to get some weight on him. Good luck at the vet tonight, let us know how it goes.  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh my goodness, I was almost in tears as I started reading this Eimear, especially when he sat right behind you when you were driving..Oh yea, I already knew where this was going  :) Boru(isn't that a vodaka brand?) is a handsome boy and yup he does have the same head shape as Voltaire. That breaks my heart and nope I don't think you are mad at all  :) If you are, than I guess there a lot of us that are as well....He sounds like a sweetheart, look forward to seeing his progress

·
Registered
977 Posts
You two are pretty fantastic and big hearted:D - be careful with those dog runs because you'll soon have a house full :wink:  Well actually 3 is a lot already! He's a beautiful dog (and yes i can see a Voltaire ressemblance with that wide squishy face :lol: ). He does look quite thin, you're right, but i'm sure you'll fatten him up in no time.
Hope he adapts to your home and dogs really well and that you will be able to keep him (and that he stops  mounting poor Tink -i imagine she's thinking - "where are your manners pal!! 8O "
Boru's a great name - what does it mean/where does it come from?
Well done and congratulations to Eimear and Emmet =D>  Keep us posted with news :)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's named after Brian Boru, who was a legendary High King of Ireland in Celtic times.  And we've just found out that he was only neutered on Monday by the rescue org. who initially picked him up from the pound  8O No wonder he kept mounting Tink, he hasn't even realised they're gone yet!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Poor Boru :lol: as long as he doesn't send out a search party :wink: . Yep, great name. :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Now I know why that name sounded so familiar!! I remember reading about him in one of the books that I had....Lol, yup, poor Boru still thinks he has his bits and didn't realize what was up, still funny tho...

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
OMG hes is absolutely stunning!!! Sooo glad you guys got to bring him home!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
That is so awesome of you....and I agree with Zhanna....I couldn't work with rescues either I would bring them all home.  I get on the website of the boxer rescue here and that about does me in.  I've already tried to convince Adam to let me bring one home.  

But i'm so happy for you and your new family member....I'm sure he will fit in perfectly. :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Eimear, he is beautiful.  I am so glad you and Emmet decided to keep him.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
he is soooo handsome! i love his squishy face! you two are wonderful for giving him a forever home! can't wait to see more pics of him!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Oh thats WONDERFUL !!!! yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..Isis was emaciated when we brought her home...17 pounds @ 4 yrs old..shes now 80..we used small meals and yogurt...worked wonderfully....and of course alot of hugs

he was meant for you all..thats just great !! im so happy for you ...hes gorgeous !!! i love his squishy face hehe

good luck sweetie what a wonderful way to start 08...:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
He is beautiful! Congrats!

G

·
0 Posts
wow pretty dog...did they charge you the adoption fee or was it a oh you keep him kind of thing?  I always wondered if a rescue worker adopted one of the rescue dogs if they are charged the fee too...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts