Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so proud of my male Macks' behavior and I had to comment on our "good boy" moment this morning. He is just over a year now we have been working diligently on training and he is doing very well on all that I want from him I walk him and my other dog everyday 2 times a day. So with this virus thing going on it seems everyone around here is out all the time as well with their dogs. I know all of you have had some unpleasant encounters with people and their aggressive poorly trained dogs we have had more than our fair share in the last few weeks too many to count now. This morning I was walking back up the road from our exercise area and I noticed a man coming down the path with 2 German Shepherds we pulled way to the side as I was walking 2 dogs as well so we gave them room, when the guy got next to us his dogs went OFF! They were struggling and pulling on their leashes their hair was sticking up all over extreme reaction and this is where I am so proud the shepherds owner was yelling "nine" over and over again his dogs were ignoring him but my boy just stood there quietly and watched them walk by. I was so happy with him all of you know how hard it is to train a dog to be calm when others that are passing you are not or are actively trying to start a fight with your dog. I told my Mack he got a high five and 3 good boys for that one!

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I am so proud of my male Macks' behavior and I had to comment on our "good boy" moment this morning. He is just over a year now we have been working diligently on training and he is doing very well on all that I want from him I walk him and my other dog everyday 2 times a day. So with this virus thing going on it seems everyone around here is out all the time as well with their dogs. I know all of you have had some unpleasant encounters with people and their aggressive poorly trained dogs we have had more than our fair share in the last few weeks too many to count now. This morning I was walking back up the road from our exercise area and I noticed a man coming down the path with 2 German Shepherds we pulled way to the side as I was walking 2 dogs as well so we gave them room, when the guy got next to us his dogs went OFF! They were struggling and pulling on their leashes their hair was sticking up all over extreme reaction and this is where I am so proud the shepherds owner was yelling "nine" over and over again his dogs were ignoring him but my boy just stood there quietly and watched them walk by. I was so happy with him all of you know how hard it is to train a dog to be calm when others that are passing you are not or are actively trying to start a fight with your dog. I told my Mack he got a high five and 3 good boys for that one!
Oh "Great Job!" And at "One Year Old??" Man I am so behind the curve with Bella???

Sigh ... but I'm gonna guess??? You did not "specifically train that particular response??" Just mostly basic stuff and a well trained dog??? At any rate yep you should be proud and job well done I will say. :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well yes we did have to work on that one quite a bit. Since all these people are out now and about where we like to walk all the time we have had an unbelievable amount of dogs acting aggressively and its been hard getting Mack to stand quietly while these dogs are acting like that I would speak quietly to him and tell him "wait"and let him face the dogs behaving badly and tell him "good boy" when he would stand quiet and watch he is finally getting it and those last two dogs were really bad! My female loves all dogs and she will usually sit when we are approached like that he was getting excited. So I guess there has been a good side to seeing all these people and dogs it has allowed for some good (if not hairy) training sessions. I can never understand how people can mis read their dogs so badly, some of the more aggressive encounters we have had the bad dogs owner will say "oh he just wants to play!" yeah right!

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
OH, so not really the plan as it were but he was exposed to the ill behaved and was taught to "maintain a grip as it were!" Highly rescue with the clueless but I understand the circumstances. :)

My experience is a bit different (although Rocky's behavior was the same) but typically we faced loose dog's and no owner present???

But I take it you saw them coming first?? Where were your dog's when you saw them coming?? Were your dog's off leash and if so did they come to you when you called them???

Dog Parking can be highly risky so for most owner's ..it's best to just stay out. But it depend's on the circumstances I suppose?? Our Dog Park is pretty small maybe an acre, with fenced off section's. And Bella and I go when no is there. But yeah bigger Parks allow more freedom but you still have to be head's up. great Job in any case. :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No , this wasn't the dog park its a big open space that's open to the public and the trails I walk on are park service so yeah we do see them coming sometimes they are off leash but I never let my guys off leash when other people are around and yeah when we see people I call them and they are right back to me. When they are off I will stop in my tracks just as a practice to make sure they are paying attention to me and they come back and touch my hand then I reward them and make over them then we keep walking so I know they are always paying attention to me but it was a 5 star moment for my boy.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Oh ... yes! Open Space, you've said that before. :)

Out here "Open Space," = "Open Desert," and out there ;about Oh 100 yards from my house, the chances of seeing another dog are about 99.999 percent against!

But I have to walk Bella (off leash) in the dry creek bed or in "smallish," Valley's. Cuz on the open desert floor ...if she saw a Bunny ... she'd be gone!! She is most definitely, "Not a Struddell!" Ticks me off ... Great for exercise but not much in the way of opportunity for "Training."

But I could load Bella into the Prius and we could drive all the way to the "Big City!" About 16 mile's ... where there is a large City Park across from Costco! And there are usually dog's on leashes (for the most part) at any rate. I gotta get her outside her "Bubble of Protection," at least a little bit ... so thanks. :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It must be hard walking in the desert and HOT too! I guess the good thing is you don't have many people to deal with or ticks! I am sure with all the work you put in with Bella she will do what you want her to do!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts