Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our fourth boxer died last week from cardiomyopathy. She was not even three years old. We were assured by the breeder that her parents had been cardiac tested. This evidently was not true. When we called her last spring at the time of diagnosis she admitted she did not know the cardiac status of the father. We are heartbroken.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I understand what you are going through. Our first Female Boxer had this as well as enlarged kidneys. We weren't sure she would live the first year but we were lucky to find an awesome vet who with medication, we were lucky to have her for 6 1/2 years. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I am so sorry that happened! That had to have been a long sad and difficult journey. :(

As sad and heartbreaking as her short life was ... apparently she was destined to live it with you. I luv Boxers but honestly getting involved with them ... sometimes is like jumping on-board the "Heart Break Train!"

There is no shortage of heartbreaking stories such as your here but ... you know ... lots of us are still here.

Now that said ... you can do better "next time!" A couple things really tick me off one is people hiring a "Trainer" and actually paying for "Bad Advise" been a rash of that crap lately on the GSDForum and for you ... people that are "aware" of the health issues, with Boxers and make an effort to get a sound healthy "Puppy" and "still" get screwed!

You really only made one mistake (unless you saw the puppy first??) You "took" the Breeder at there word. They "claimed" the dogs were health tested but "after the fact" it turned out not so much???

Personnel ... I'd say if that "Breeder" truly made a "mistake" and had any integrity they should give you another puppy or at the bare minimum offer a steep discount on a replacement puppy ... if you would have one?? But I'm not a "breeder" so I don't know??

So even though how you got here sucked ... your here now. And when and if you are ready to try again ... you can come here and ask for "Breeder" recommendations! :)

And I know there a few on here ... shameless plug coming ... but she's here all the time so I "know" one of the better ones is "Kaco Boxers."

Home

So check her site for "Health Testing" stuff ... that's the kind of info you should e looking for.

And yet again ... sorry for your loss but Welcome Aboard ... I wish the circumstances that brought you here were better but your here now ... take care. :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Had this breeder been recommended to you? I really get irked when i hear incidences of a breeder lying. It's really heart breaking to lose a puppy even before you get to really enjoy its companionship. Such great advice from Chip 18. I really hope you can try again sometime.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'm so sorry! There are some breeders of working Boxers that require that dogs to be bred have:
1 - Hip x-rays for Hip Dysplasia
2 - An Echocardiogram (Board Certified Cardiologist) to screen for Aortic Stenosis,
Sub-Aortic Stenosis, and other cardiac abnormalities.
I know there have been discussions about oversight of breeding in Germany by The German Boxer Klub. Nobody wants to have somebody dictate if you are allowed to breed your dog, and I'm sure people cheat.

I don't know if many breeders in the US do this. Sure makes sense to me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts