Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
stiflersmom said:
I find it odd your even asking for any money....
Odd I think not..I think it would be odd not to..I mean all animal rescue people you talk to the first thing they say is don't give a pet a away for free if you want it to go to a Good Home..I use to take in fosters for such a place.. :) Also I sure as heck ain't rich and I sure in the heck didn't get her for Free..I bought her needing shots, not housebroken. She now has all her shots and is very well housebroken. She knows to stay off the furniture, sits on command, knows how to stay and walks well on a leash. She also has champion bloodlines..She is a Great dog only needs a home with no cats..The Gentleman never mentioned having any problem with giving 250 for her. He only said he would bring cash. He is very excited to be getting her. He has called me several times today. So I don't see how its anything to bother you. If you can get people to give you there full blooded healthy Boxers for free more power to you but I ain't giving mine away for free and at only 250 I ain't making a thing. Actually I am taking a loss.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
I don't think she was trying to offend you, I think what she was shooting for was the goal, finding her a good home...Now we all know that 250 isn't going to assure that but if its peace of mind for you, then it works...BTW rescues charge bc that is the only way they are able to operate...Typically when we get a dog in do a wellness exam, fecal, dworm, hw tests, etc we have reached more then what we charge for dogs...I do rescue and we don't charge assuring the dog will get a good home, that is why we have people we train to do home visits and educate the general public about boxers...Personally I don't think its fair she has to go if the cats are coming on your property, build her a play pen...besides it was her home first but that is neither here nor there....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,619 Posts
Hulk said:
I don't think she was trying to offend you, I think what she was shooting for was the goal, finding her a good home...Now we all know that 250 isn't going to assure that but if its peace of mind for you, then it works...BTW rescues charge bc that is the only way they are able to operate...Typically when we get a dog in do a wellness exam, fecal, dworm, hw tests, etc we have reached more then what we charge for dogs...I do rescue and we don't charge assuring the dog will get a good home, that is why we have people we train to do home visits and educate the general public about boxers...Personally I don't think its fair she has to go if the cats are coming on your property, build her a play pen...besides it was her home first but that is neither here nor there....

I really must say I agree..I feel if the boxers are in their enclosure and the cats go into them it is not her fault..of course I do not want the cat hurt but it is an outdoor cat that comes to the dogs..it's a shame, she really did nothing wrong IMO..I hope she finds a forever home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
After my male boxer Tequila died after a long illness of cardiomyopathy, my younger boxer Bud whined and whined and I would cry and cry. This was three weeks before I was to have 250 people at my house for a wedding. I had just had back surgery. So . . . . instead of getting a puppy that would require more time and training. I adopted a boxer from the Upstate Rescue in SC. I have two cats. When we first brought Bella home she scared me to death!!! She very aggressively chased one cat straight into our pool and one up a tree. She had a look of shred and kill. It was not playful in any way. I called the foster mom and asked her about this behavior, as I did ask if Bella was cat friendly. She said she did chase them but had never hurt them. So, we hoped it was just excitement coming to her new home. But, the next indroduction mouth wide open went for our cat and was just about to bite her. It was supervised so my husband and I grabbed the boxer held her jaw so she could not bite down. We got the cat, Nugget, out. So, what to do. I kept our cats, just for a short period in a room. I would keep the door closed. Then at certain "training times" I would sit on the other side of the gate petting and loving on the cat so Bella the boxer could see I loved them. I would let her smell them through the gate. Bella the boxer wanted to come through the gate. I did this two days. Then I would have my other Boxer Bud come in the bathroom with me, and Bella would be on the other side of the gate and watch the other Boxer Bud with the cats. Bud is not crazy about the cats, but he would not hurt them. Then on the fifth day, I let Bella come in with me, my holding the cat Nugget and see that I loved this cat. She would aggressively push her muzzle into the cat, but mouth closed. We did this just for one week. Then to the great outdoors. There the cats have plenty of places to escape. Trees and we have a screened in porch that we put "kitty doors". The cats have there safe haven. Now, Bella, still has that prey instinct. She has killed squirrels and possums. But, now because I believe boxers so want to please their humans, she will chase those cats wide open, but when she gets to them she does not hurt them. I like to think she just needed to be shown the difference. We don't love on squirrels and possums, but we did show her "No No" when she tried hurting the cats. This may not work for everyone. My husband was convinced from the first few very aggressive signs Bella showed to the cats, that I would never change what he called instinct in Bella's personality. But . . . . two years later Bella is still driving my husband crazy, but not because of her cat chasing!!! I think she is part Boston Terrier. She has MANY terrier traits. I understand you want no harm to come to your cats. I was sooo at that crossroad when Bella was doing better but still chasing the cats. That if anything happened to the cats I would be personally responsible for their death. But, I am so happy I gave it a try. Bella is the smaller fawn boxer in my picture. Best of luck to you whichever way you choose to go!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Oh and my goal isn't to find her a good home ? I worked for a rescue for over 20 years. I just recently stopped. I know why the rescues charge fees. I have done all those test and shots with her as well. I have way more then that in her. I also know a rehoming fee does not mean a good home but I have also seen what happens to lots of dog that are giving away for free. A lot of people that get free dogs when they get tried of the dog say a week, month, year they just throw them out like trash on a lonely road. Because the people are like oh well I didn't pay anything for it anyways. Where if they pay something for the dog they are less likely to just dump it without at least trying to find it a home first. I feel if someone truly wants her they won't have a problem with paying a rehoming fee. I know I don't have a problem when I want something to pay for it. The lady's at the rescue I worked at agree with me totally on not giving Mileena away for free except if it was to a family member or someone I personally know. If I had a family member that would be good with her or a friend I would not think twice about giving her to them for free. I have had animals my whole live and lived on a farm. So I do have experience. :)

The cats were here first. She grew up around them as a puppy and was fine with them till one day she snapped. Yes I did try working with her on this. It has not worked. Most of you or none of you live on a farm and just don't understand I guess. When I get a dog it has to get along with every thing on my farm. She does have a fenced in yard for her and my male Boxer. I also have a 10X10 kennel. That is where she stays when outside now when I can't be with her. I do not like having to keep her so confined . I live on a farm and like to be able to take my dogs all over my property with me while I do my daily chores. Her I can not do that with anymore being she now hates the cats and is also eye balling my chickens and ducks to much. So she is left by herself a lot in the 10 x10 kennel. I don't feel that is fair to her and I can not and will not get read of the rest of my critters and farm animals for one dog that can't or won't fit in. She has been giving many chances and worked with for months. This was not an over the night decision.

The gentlemen is on his way. I have checked him out I am not an idiot when it comes to placing critters. He gave great references. If when he arrives I do not like how he is with my dog or vice verse a or if I don't feel comfortable about him for what every reason I won't let him have her period. I have others waiting in line. I have also turned others away already on the phone and in emails. As I did not feel it was the home for her. If I would have know how some of you talked down to me about this without know the whole situation or without asking first I would not have even posted about it. This upsets me greatly I thought fellow boxer owners would be more understanding. I was looking for support but got very little. This is a hard decision for me and was not made lightly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,536 Posts
Oooooooh, you should donate the $250 to the rescue where you used to work. Wouldn't that be a nice gesture?

Are your dogs kept solely outdoors? I hope you find the perfect home for her where she can be the star of the show. With no pesky kitties around . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,628 Posts
Gliderider said:
stiflersmom said:
I find it odd your even asking for any money....
Odd I think not..I think it would be odd not to..I mean all animal rescue people you talk to the first thing they say is don't give a pet a away for free if you want it to go to a Good Home..I use to take in fosters for such a place.. :) Also I sure as heck ain't rich and I sure in the heck didn't get her for Free..I bought her needing shots, not housebroken. She now has all her shots and is very well housebroken. She knows to stay off the furniture, sits on command, knows how to stay and walks well on a leash. She also has champion bloodlines..She is a Great dog only needs a home with no cats..The Gentleman never mentioned having any problem with giving 250 for her. He only said he would bring cash. He is very excited to be getting her. He has called me several times today. So I don't see how its anything to bother you. If you can get people to give you there full blooded healthy Boxers for free more power to you but I ain't giving mine away for free and at only 250 I ain't making a thing. Actually I am taking a loss.....
I'm sooooo sorry you're taking a loss on a dog that YOU must get rid of because YOU'RE not willing to desensatise your dog with the barn cats....Personally, I'd never give up on my family member (yes, my dogs are cherished members of my family) like that. Once a member, always a member. I've been through hell and back with Finchy...and I'd do it all over again for this guy. My old cat went missing.....she couldn't stand my dogs though. A few months later I saw her at this old woman's house...I grabbed my cat, brought her home. Well, the cat left me again and went straight for the old woman's house. I talked with the woman and she was more than happy to keep the cat. I bring her huge bags of kitty food..still...and that was 2 years ago...I was so thankful MY cat found a good home with no dogs..I'm not rich by any means....it's ethics....I'm glad your dog is going to a good home, and I'm glad the man has no problem giving you $250. I just find it odd, in your situation, you'd even take it.....And, yes...I am bothered by it. I can't stand all those poor pet adds that have to replace THEIR pet because of a problem THEY'RE having and ask for a rehoming fee!! I think I read on here where a guy answered an ad and would of paid the 'rehoming' fee...but once he got there, and spoke with the woman..she gave him the dog for free. It's decency...I'm so sorry you spent all that time with your champion bloodline dog that can now sit, walk on a leash, is housetrained....and now MUST get rid of it. Poor you...hope the $250 makes you feel better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hey Daisy Duke that is a great idea. I have thought about doing just that. I know they can use it.

No my Boxers and 1 Mini Schnauzer are inside dogs. They all 3 sleep in my room at night. The 2 boxers sleep in crates because they are still young and the Schnauzer sleeps with me and hubby. My Mini Schnauzer is another reason I feel Mileena needs a new home. I mean if she just snapped at the cats whose to say she won't at my Schnauzer. Even though I never leave them alone being the size difference. Who by the way was a rescue. All my cats and dogs were except my male Boxer.

The guy that is coming here shortly. Is perfect he is allergic to cats. LOL !! He has no other animals besides his one boxer in the middle of 30 acres. I think it sounds great for her. Thanks for being supportive. :) This is not easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Is she spayed, because $250 is not very much to pay, if your gentleman is a puppy miller or a BYB. Please be carefull who you sell her to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well stiflersmom you have a double standard you apparently like your dogs better then your cats. Because if you were a (true animal lover as you claim to be) You would be just as worried to keep your cats at home as you are your dogs. Sounds to me as though you have giving up on your cat as you accuse me of doing on my dog.............Except I am hand picking a new good home for my dog. I didn't just let it wonder off to any place that would take it......Its not so much fun to get rocks thrown at you as it is to throw them is it ?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
DF1960 said:
Is she spayed, because $250 is not very much to pay, if your gentleman is a puppy miller or a BYB. Please be carefull who you sell her to.
He is not a puppy mill or breeder. I have checked his references. Also he is signing that he is having her spayed in the next month..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Calm down, calm down. :lol: I do see your point about getting upset because she wants money for the dog. But, there is one point you need to look at, as I am sure this is one reason rescues charge (although I've never asked ). There are many people who want a dog that cannot afford one. My niece is a great example, although I don't claim her. :mad: Anyway, her jerk of a husband got a free dog from a newspaper, because it was FREE and they didn't have to pay for it. Well, the friggin idiot didn't think of the shots, vet care, food, etc. in the months to come. I ended up paying for shots for that dog and buying it food. I begged her to rehome this dog, but she wouldn't do it. I have no idea where this pup wound up, as I haven't spoken to her for other reasons in 8 months. At least when you ask for money for a dog, people have to think about it instead of jumping in. If you have to pay $250 for a dog, you might think about whether or not you can afford it. I am hoping this little girl is spayed so as not to be used for breeding, so I am going to assume she is. If not, I would INSIST on it and make the vet who does it call you and verify it. Make him sign an agreement saying he will have her spayed and if not, you will take the dog back. Anyway, assuming she is, this guy is paying $250 for a boxer for a pet. You know he has thought about the money since he is paying it, and has a better chance of affording the dog than some lowlife like my niece's husband who just see FREE in an add and jumps in. Just one take on the money thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
2wildboxers Thank you I appreciate an intelligent reply on my topic. You have worded it in a way I was trying to but know one was reading my post completely and getting it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
I'm glad she is going to a good home with plenty of room to roam. If for some reason it doesn't work out please let me know, I think I've about got my wife to cave in. I do agree with you charging something for her, I know there are a lot of people in my area who are prowling around looking for free dogs that can make them money. I know of a few places that are always taking in dogs and breeding them then selling the pups with no papers so it's hard for anyone to track them down. I didn't have a problem paying a "re-homing" fee for Ty. I know we paid waaaay too much but in all reality he is worth so much more!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,628 Posts
LOL...my cat chose this home..this woman...I still care for my cat...any vet bills come up...she is to call me...For goodness sakes...I just laid another bag of food up next to her back door...she knows it's from me....If your cat doesn't want to stick around...there's not alot one can do about it...fences don't stop cats....cat's are soooo much more independant and self sufficient than dogs...I tried to bring her home...but after my daughter left..her cat left also, plus she hated the rest of the other cats...hated...so where's the dbl standard??? I didn't go and demand an adoption fee for this cat from this woman for all the shots, vet care, litter box training, spay, years spent on feeding her..so what's your point?? Oooohhhh, I guess I should have to 'ensure she got a good home' ;) I'm thankful the cat is happy...and even though she lives with someone else..she is still my responsibility. Can you say the same....So....once again...hope the $250 makes this easier on ya...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thank you TysonBeckford for understanding the rehoming fee. There a many good reason to have one. If things don't work out I will be happy to let you know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,628 Posts
2wildboxers said:
Calm down, calm down. :lol: I do see your point about getting upset because she wants money for the dog. But, there is one point you need to look at, as I am sure this is one reason rescues charge (although I've never asked ). There are many people who want a dog that cannot afford one. My niece is a great example, although I don't claim her. :mad: Anyway, her jerk of a husband got a free dog from a newspaper, because it was FREE and they didn't have to pay for it. Well, the friggin idiot didn't think of the shots, vet care, food, etc. in the months to come. I ended up paying for shots for that dog and buying it food. I begged her to rehome this dog, but she wouldn't do it. I have no idea where this pup wound up, as I haven't spoken to her for other reasons in 8 months. At least when you ask for money for a dog, people have to think about it instead of jumping in. If you have to pay $250 for a dog, you might think about whether or not you can afford it. I am hoping this little girl is spayed so as not to be used for breeding, so I am going to assume she is. If not, I would INSIST on it and make the vet who does it call you and verify it. Make him sign an agreement saying he will have her spayed and if not, you will take the dog back. Anyway, assuming she is, this guy is paying $250 for a boxer for a pet. You know he has thought about the money since he is paying it, and has a better chance of affording the dog than some lowlife like my niece's husband who just see FREE in an add and jumps in. Just one take on the money thing.
I can see this point of view also....if it was me..I'd ask a 'rehoming fee' so it wouldn't go to any ol home, but once I met the person and felt comfortable with them enough to hand over my dog...I wouldn't except the money...not if it was my situation that caused this.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
stiflersmom I am not responding to you or your ignorance anymore.....For I really don't care what you think.......Your approval of my action means nothing to me.
 
21 - 40 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top