Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Can someone please help. My 7months old pup can't stop pooing soft. Soft more like diarrhea. I've been to vets on countless times, my last trip has upset me so much that I'm looking for another vet.
How can I stop my pup for pooing soft. What can I give her that works. I've tried rice, pumpkin, chicken, different dry foods, none of them seem to work. I'm really stuck and so for vets have been no help.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
First rule out parasite including giardia from a fecal. If that comes back negative, then try a round of metronidazole to see if that helps firm her up. It might take a couple rounds. Pick one food and try adding in a good quality probiotic.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I agree with Kari, you need to rule out parasites' and giardia as well as coccidia puppies are susceptible to all these thing has your vet done a stool sample and had it sent out to a lab? Food changes are not good especially suddenly are you feeding a wet food or dry? I feed mainly a dry kibble with a couple of spoons of wet mixed in they do make sensitive digestion dog food make sure you get one that is made for puppies not adult.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you change the food that will give them the runs. My boy as sensitive stomach fecal test will let you know if its parasitic erc. I would stick with one puppy food try hills science my boy likes that and i tried many like you.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
You have already received good advise. 1. rule out parasites and also check for coccidia and giardia. Giardia is harder to test for. When you change foods you must do it slowly, 25% new for a week, 50% new for 2nd week and so forth till you are at 100%. When my dogs get diarrhea I put them on skinless boneless chicken breast or lean ground beef boiled, along with boiled white rice, mixing the two together act 50/50. I keep them on this for a min of 5 days then slowly start adding their kibble back to it until they once again are eating kibble. During this time my vet also has them on Flagyl and a probiotic.

I find many over feed their dogs too which will often times cause soft stool. What are you feeding? Also we found that a too high protein also could trigger soft stool. We stuck with a kibble around 24-26%

1 - 5 of 5 Posts