Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuck has had soft stool about half the time since he was a puppy. I have tried pro/pre biotics, Ive changed his food a dozen times, I have tried pumpkin and the only time his stool was good most of the time was when I fed him Acana. Unfortunately I cannot afford it so he is on Earthborn Holistic Grainfree Lamb. My question is I know overfeeding can also cause soft stools but I am afraid of underfeeding him. He gets 1.5 cups in the morning, 1 cup for dinner, and then 1/2 cup right before bed because he has acid reflux if he doesn't eat right before bed. So all together he gets 3 cups a day and I feel like any less would not be enough food for him. He is 11 months and 60lbs. On the bag is says 3-3.5 cups a day. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also he has been tested 2x for parasites which was negative, and he is on monthly heartgard. TIA!
Kait

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
So when you say its soft about half the time, do you mean one day its fine and the next its not?
Or do you mean its fine in the morning and soft by the end of the day?
Is there any pattern?

Some dogs have what I call "excitable" poop - excitement or exercise causes the stool to become soft.

:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
That sounds alot like my dog. She has a really great poop in the morning but then at 2pm and in the evening her poop becomes soft. She had acid reflux too...I am considering feeding her earthborn holistic lamb...since it has a lower protein than the other flavors. I thought it could be her training treats but it is not. She currently eats wellness which i am going to change...i am no help here but i am experiencing the same thing.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I heard somewhere that's it is normal for the poops toward the end of the day to be softer than morning ones. Don't know if that's true but it does happen to my dog too, usually the last one before bed. Also, my dog has been dealing with acid reflux and vet put her on pepcid and it has helped immensely. Less poops and firmer too. She was supposed to take 20 MG 2 x daily but started her with half that and she responded well to that. I feed Solid Gold bison and brown rice with sweet potatoes. No one really has heard of it but it was on dog food advisor and checked it out. It's hard to find a chicken or poultry free dog food.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So when you say its soft about half the time, do you mean one day its fine and the next its not?
Or do you mean its fine in the morning and soft by the end of the day?
Is there any pattern?

Some dogs have what I call "excitable" poop - excitement or exercise causes the stool to become soft.

It's normal part of the day and then soft the rest of the day. I have never paid attention to whether there is a pattern or not so I will definitely look into that. He always has soft poop when we go for walks or hikes so I'm assuming that's excitement induced. If it's normal then I'm all good with that just want to make sure it's nothing else. I have 3 dachshunds who's stool is always normal but I know boxers tummys are super sensitive so I shouldn't compare the 2.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I think if its soft when hiking or walking its probably do to excitement, Kai is always on the firm side but if he goes more than once on a walk it will be softer than his normal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having this issue with my Boxer also, he will have one good firm stool in the day and the rest will be soft stool. He is super gassy lately also - it's been going on for a couple weeks. He is fed Acana and seemed to have been doing well on it so far up until a few weeks ago
I am in the process of cutting everything out and putting him on rice and cooked hamburger with pumpkin for a couple days to try and eliminate the culprit here and make sure it's nothing medical

·
Registered
74 Posts
Bunny was like this until I started feeding her either the honest kitchen, NRG or just homemade food. They are like "insta-log" foods! More digestible on their wee tummies. It could also be because of a food sensitivity. You could try an elimination diet for a month and see if it helps?

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I've made up a spreadsheet for various dog foods, costs and ingredients.

Thought it might be helpful for you. It's in order from least expensive (by the lb) to most expensive. I highlighted the one you're currently using, and the closest match (protein wise) in the Acana Regionals line.

Personally, we use Acana. We mostly stick to the Regionals line (Pacifica, Grasslands, Ranchlands, Wild Prairie) but we've just added the Chicken and Burbank Potato to our rotation, so that helps with the cost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tuck has had soft stool about half the time since he was a puppy. I have tried pro/pre biotics, Ive changed his food a dozen times, I have tried pumpkin and the only time his stool was good most of the time was when I fed him Acana. Unfortunately I cannot afford it so he is on Earthborn Holistic Grainfree Lamb. My question is I know overfeeding can also cause soft stools but I am afraid of underfeeding him. He gets 1.5 cups in the morning, 1 cup for dinner, and then 1/2 cup right before bed because he has acid reflux if he doesn't eat right before bed. So all together he gets 3 cups a day and I feel like any less would not be enough food for him. He is 11 months and 60lbs. On the bag is says 3-3.5 cups a day. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also he has been tested 2x for parasites which was negative, and he is on monthly heartgard. TIA!
Kait

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kait
Sadie our boxer eats a fat free GI food from the vet, and dry food. She weighs 70 and should get 4 cups. I feed 1 1/2 c dry with 1/2 c wet morning and same for dinner, also get an egg with a tablespoon of fat free yogurt before bed. I also want some ruin her belly during the night. She has indigestion some and I want to keep that at bay.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
vcubbage..you probably won't get a response on this thread as its 5 years old and many of the posters are long gone. I would start a new thread if you have questions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts