Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, sorry but it's yet another crate/training/anxiety question.  I actually just did a search on all those topics and read through almost all of them, I saw some similiar problems and some tips.   I'm hoping maybe for some additional help with my specific issue here because it's a little unique.  I've only had Oggie since the weekend so I know it's early but since I work from home, he's always with me.  If I leave the room he gets all anxious.  He's gotten comfortable with his crate as long as I'm around.  If I leave he goes ballistic.  I tried to get him to sleep in there but he barked and whimpered like crazy.  What eventually calmed him down was sleeping on the floor next to him.  It still took a while, but he did sleep a bit (and so did I finally).  So I'm still working on bedtime crating.  Last night was really the first time I went out and I had to go for a couple of hours.  I had a neighbor check on him.  Well he eliminated all over the crate.  My poor neighbor had to hose down the whole crate (he loves dogs but the poor guy).   I know people say put in a shirt or blanket with my smell, but he's just going to make a mess it seems.  I even left a radio on and left him with a frozen kong.  I have the divider in there so he doesn't have the entire crate space too.  

Now I know its still early and hes just a pup but I'm concerned this is a separation anxiety issue building up.  Maybe I'm just babying him too much since I'm always with him?   I'm going to try crating him and leaving the house for 10 or 20 minutes at a time and try to build up his comfort level.  It just scares me that I read the sticky about crate training and it said if there is excessive barking/whining/elimination, crate training may not work for this dog.  Should I give up or just keep doing what I'm doing?  All in all Oggie has been very good, he's getting the hang of potty training and he's well behaved.  The crating is the next big step.  Any help would be great because otherwise he's the perfect pup!  

Thanks again

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Since it's only been a couple of days, I would keep crating him. When you put him in the crate, don't make it a big deal. Just put him in and go about your business. If he whines and barks, ignore him. Believe me I know how hard that is. If you leave, just leave. No drawn out goodbyes, just go. I think leaving for 10-15 minutes at a time will help him learn that you are going to come back. When you do come back, again don't make a big deal upon your return. Don't even let him out of the crate right away. Instead, go to the bathroom first, read the mail, whatever just leave him in there for a few more minutes. When you eventually let him out of the crate, once again don't make a big deal about it. This I think is the hardest part because it is extremely difficult to ignore a bouncing, kidney beaning boxer that is ecstatic to see you.
In time I think Oggie will learn to love his crate.
I did have one boxer that had severe separation anxiety and could not be crated, but I think Oggie should be fine if you are consistent with the way you crate him. My maddie loves her crate. I don't even put her in there anymore but have it set up still because she will go in there during the day and nap.
Good Luck to you and Oggie...keep at it!  :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I agree with what Lisa said, he's still a baby and it's more getting used to new surroundings...I also have a separation anxiety issue with Samson, not so bad now, but believe me, what you are going thru is just normal puppy stuff....Like Lisa said, when you leave, just go, don't baby talk or anything, put him in his crate and go...Sounds harsh, but it works, same when you come back, especially as he will more than likely start raising a ruckus when you come in, you want him to be calm before you let him out of the crate....I can't say that either of mine use theirs as a nest during the day, but they are good, well Angel actually about going in when I have to leave the house....It does take time..Put an old shirt of yours in there with him, that carries your scent and he may find that comforting as well....I was just looking at his pic, he's such a cutie  :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Another thing I have tried...when leaving I calmly state "I'll be back"...then when I get back I say "I'm back!" with a smile and over time they seem to have put that together with, ok...she just said that word...she will come back to me!  

He's really little...don't give up on anything! It's just a transition phase...and the crate is the BEST thing for him if he is going to be alone...safe...secure...I know it's hard...but, try to think of that when he's upset...it helps to maintain the resolve to ignore the crying and stick with the plan calmly!

Hang in there!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Good luck with staying strong.  He will get the hang of it if you can just hold out and be consistent.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, great suggestions.  I think you guys are right....he's slowly improving.  Last night I put him to bed in the crate, I slept on the couch so he could see me from the crate.  He barked and cried for at least an hour but all of sudden he went quiet and slept for 4 hours.  I woke up at 3 am and realized he's going to need to go potty outside, so I had to wake him up and he didn't want to come out of the crate!   I couldn't believe it.  He was very cozy in there with his favorite blanket.  

I took him outside and he peed which was great.  Of course, putting him back into the crate was like starting all over again.  Again it took another hour for him to settle down and sleep.  Then he woke up an hour and a half later with the same panic behavior.   But really, he's never spent most of the night in the crate before so this is definitely progress.  I'll slowly put him in there during the day when I'm running to the store or taking a shower.  I hate listening to his crying but like you all said, it's just something I gotta stick with.  Thanks for the pep talk everybody, I needed it...

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Glad to hear Oggie did a lot better last night. The only thing I would do differently is to not wake him up to go potty. Let him wake on his own. Who knows, he might have slept until 6 or 7!  By waking him up, you are essentially training him to get up at 3 am and go potty. I'm pretty sure you won't want that to become habit.  :? Remember the old saying, "let sleeping dogs lie". He will let you know that he is awake and needs to go.
Again, I am glad that you and Oggie had a better night!  :)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm maybe you're right, I probably should have let him sleep.  I was just worried about him going potty in the crate (which he has done) and the vet told me at his age he can only hold it 4 hours so it'd been 4 hours and I thought better sooner than wait.  But maybe you throw that out the window when he's sound asleep.  Is it possible for a puppy to go the whole night without having to go potty?   That'd be awesome....I can't imagine getting that much sleep myself at this point!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yea, I would definitely let him sleep..Lisa is right, you may have gotten a bit more of it yourself! Glad to hear it went better tho...It does take time and oh yea, it really hurts listening to that poor pathetic whining.....I think it was like th esecond or third nite we had Buck(10 wks), oh man he was sounding like he was being killed! My ex got up, got a blanket and they both slept out on one of the deck chairs......Thankfully it only lasted for about a week, then had to go apoligize to the neighbors... :)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Glad to hear you made some progress with Oggie! I would agree let him sleep because you never know how lucky you may be! He might, just might last until 5-6am. Sadie usually wakes us up with a whimper when she needs to go out, which has been pretty consistently been at around 1-2am. She has the odd night slept right through till 6am! When he potty's outside do you give him a treat? I would recommend this (its worked well with Sadie) When she does her business we give lots of praise and treat, this makes her WANT to go outside (and not in her crate) because she know's she'll get a treat! Good luck and keep at it, you'll eventually get there with him.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Another thing to do to get him more confortable with his crate (if you don't already do this) is to feed him in his kennel. It kind of lets him know that it's a safe, comfortable place...just don't ever feed him and then close the door while he's eating or he'll never want to go in there to eat in fear that you'll close him in. Eventually he'll grow to love his crate and sleep all the way through the night.  Keep up the good work! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts