Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Since it's only been a couple of days, I would keep crating him. When you put him in the crate, don't make it a big deal. Just put him in and go about your business. If he whines and barks, ignore him. Believe me I know how hard that is. If you leave, just leave. No drawn out goodbyes, just go. I think leaving for 10-15 minutes at a time will help him learn that you are going to come back. When you do come back, again don't make a big deal upon your return. Don't even let him out of the crate right away. Instead, go to the bathroom first, read the mail, whatever just leave him in there for a few more minutes. When you eventually let him out of the crate, once again don't make a big deal about it. This I think is the hardest part because it is extremely difficult to ignore a bouncing, kidney beaning boxer that is ecstatic to see you.
In time I think Oggie will learn to love his crate.
I did have one boxer that had severe separation anxiety and could not be crated, but I think Oggie should be fine if you are consistent with the way you crate him. My maddie loves her crate. I don't even put her in there anymore but have it set up still because she will go in there during the day and nap.
Good Luck to you and Oggie...keep at it!  :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Glad to hear Oggie did a lot better last night. The only thing I would do differently is to not wake him up to go potty. Let him wake on his own. Who knows, he might have slept until 6 or 7!  By waking him up, you are essentially training him to get up at 3 am and go potty. I'm pretty sure you won't want that to become habit.  :? Remember the old saying, "let sleeping dogs lie". He will let you know that he is awake and needs to go.
Again, I am glad that you and Oggie had a better night!  :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.