Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new member and poster here (saw a link on craigslist!)  Please feel free to offer advice on any of the below.

We've had boxers for a very long time, my current boxer is a girl (Mally) who turns 10 in November and is the best dog in the world.  We wanted to have another boxer be trained by her with her good habits so we thought it was time for a new one. I am currently on day 10 of our new family member - boxer boy, 7 weeks, brindle.  His name is Gus and he's awesome so far.  We purchased from an amish breeder in central Ohio, but didn't really get much info from them as far as training.  

Food:
We started out using a different food than they had (Purina One for Puppies) which is small hard pieces at about 1/2 cup x3 a day.  We added some milk to it like the breeder suggested also.  Well, he's had some bad diarrhea, real bad.  We cut the milk and have him back on Purina Puppy Chow (what the breeder was using) which comes with soft and crunchy morsels with a touch of water.  He seems to be getting better digestively.  He scarfs it down so I'm wondering if we're feeding him enough.  Any suggestions appreciated.  Amount?

Potty Training:
At a loss here.  Mally was a snap, she was trained by our Bassett and very fast.  Gus seems to pee constantly, and on a whim.  Of course we're trying to keep him hydrated with his prior mentioned problem too. We don't scold him for it, but at what time do we let him know he's done something bad?  We're trying to reward him for going outside, but I'm not sure he gets the connection between merely going and going in the correct location...

Crate Training:
He actually enjoys being inside his crate, it's in the kitchen/living room area and he will sleep even with all the noise and commotion. We have him on his personal blanket at night next to my bed, and we wake up and take him out because we don't want an accident in his crate as we were told he can't hold it yet.  At what point can we leave him in the crate for extended periods?  How long is too long?  Not sure what we're going to do come September when the kids are back in school.  

Collar/Leash:
He loves his collar, hates any type of leash.   We're trying to slowly get him into it, but we don't want to tramatize him either.  A leash would be helpful around 2 am while I'm standing out in my backyard in my underwear waiting for him to do his business.  

Radio fence:
How old for this to work?

First vet visit is this Saturday, thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
We cut the milk and have him back on Purina Puppy Chow (what the breeder was using) which comes with soft and crunchy morsels with a touch of water.  He seems to be getting better digestively.  He scarfs it down so I'm wondering if we're feeding him enough.  Any suggestions appreciated.  Amount?
We did almost the same thing when we got our pup 6 months ago. We changed her food slowly, but she ended up getting diarrhea too. We went back to the original food for a bit longer until she was about 4 months old and slowly switched her to Iams. She did fine, so maybe they just need more time to develop, so their stomachs can handle different foods.
Daisy pounded her food so fast she would choke on it. It was like she had never eaten before. We put a tennis ball in the middle of her food to slow her down. We followed the amount listed on the bag for her weight.

Potty Training: Daisy was a handful in this area too. Must be those central Ohio pups  :wink:
The only thing that worked was repetition. Saying "go out", lifting her paws to scratch the door (which she never does now anyway), and going outside with her on a leash (even at 3 am in underwear). We have somewhat of a private backyard  :)

Crate training:
I had the luxury of being able to stop at home when Daisy was learning how to control her bladder. Sometimes we could leave her for 3-4 hours at 3 months, other times it seemed like she was in there for 30 minutes and she would pee. Don't make the crate too big or your pup will use an area for doing business.
Daisy started making it through the night around 4 months. As soon as I got up in the morning I had her go straight outside with me though.
Now I can take a shower first.

We also tried an experiment this weekend. We have 2 crates, one downstairs near a window for daytime and one in the bedroom for night. We eliminated the bedroom crate and left her bed on the floor where the crate was. She was confused at first, but got it after we asked her to lay down a few times. It's been 5 days, no accidents, no roaming during the night. She's doing great.

As for the leash, I think your pup will forget about it after 10 - 15 minutes of walking. I could be wrong. It might be time to ask the Dog Whisperer about that one.

Radio fence: We have one. It works great. We got it for Daisy when she was 6 months old. That is the recommended age for training with the underground fence. I don't even have to use the electric shock. I have it set to an audible alert near the border and she gets it. During training I used the shock on the lowest setting. I tried it on my skin first. It was like a static shock. That's all it took for Daisy to get it. The audible alert and the static shock together made it easy for her to understand. I followed the training instructions that came with the fence exactly and it all worked out.

Good luck at the vet's office!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts