Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I know I'm probably re-hashing old questions I should have searched for but we are really freaking out here. Rupert is 9 years old and having some problems. His back legs are showing signs of displacia (He is currently taking Glaucosamene for this) and he started having strange "passing out" spells. All the more odd because he seems to know they are coming, he always runs to me before it happens, yet the episode is more like a faint than epilepsy according to the vet. So he is also on Benazepril for his heart.

The thing of concern right now is his cough. It sounds like he has phlegm in his throat that he is struggling to clear and it makes it sound like he is gasping for breath. The strange part is his appetite is still great (Well, more than great..he's a boxer!) and he is still active. We can't get him to our vet until Monday so any advice would be appreciated, really appreciated.

Nearly forgot, he is also being prescribed anti inflammatory pills too.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
So sorry that your Rupert is sick. Please bear in mind that I'm trying very hard NOT to overreact because of our own experience and hopefully someone can jump in with another opinion. That being said, Ruperts symptoms sound very similar to our Sophie when she slowly developed congestive heart failure. Especially the running to me when the "spells" would happen.  She too, was on Glucosamine/MSM for hips, Enalipril  for cardiac and Lasix for fluid. I'm NOT trying to scare you but if the cough should become accompanied by lots of white phlegm or is worse when lying down please contact  your vet asap. Please post Monday after vet visit to give an update.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Can't help you with the medical problem, but will keep you and Rupert in our prayers!  Please keep us posted as to his progress and welcome to the forum - sorry it's under these trying circumstances.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote="DonnersMom\";p=\"40047":1orb8uxv]So sorry that your Rupert is sick. Please bear in mind that I'm trying very hard NOT to overreact because of our own experience and hopefully someone can jump in with another opinion. That being said, Ruperts symptoms sound very similar to our Sophie when she slowly developed congestive heart failure. Especially the running to me when the "spells" would happen.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Welcome to the forum sorry you are having problems with your baby.  I am not real sure about the situation you are having because it could be so many things.  I can say that when you are going through a coughing/gagging spell if you will rub the throat OR hold the nostrils closed for a short time it will force them to swallow hard and sometimes that stops those episodes.  I agree that you need to check into the heart issues and also the chance that it is an upper resp infection/kennel cough/seasonal allergy cold starting.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for your well wishes.

Sadly we had to take Rupert to an emergency vet after sitting up with him most of the night. He took a turn for the worse and by the time a vet was availble he was in serious trouble. Despite his lungs filling with fluid and his heart failing he still wagged his tail at his mother and I.

He was put to sleep at 8:15 this morning and we miss him so badly.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
So very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
427 Posts
:cry:  I'm so sorry to hear about this. I have absolutely no idea what I would do in your situation and it kinda scares me.  Sending my love. @};-

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Well, first I was praying that Rupert would get better.  Then I kept reading and now I'm praying for your loss.
This is just so shocking and so sudden!
God's blessings on you guys right now as you go through this difficult time! :(

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I cannot begin to say how sorry I am for your loss..I truly was hoping as I continued reading that perhaps he may have started to recover....Know this, Rupert is pain free now and running with all his boxer buddies that are waiting for him at the bridge..Rest in peace Rupert, you will be greatly missed.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I am so sad to read that your baby has passed on and can only imagine the pain you must be feeling right now.  Even though it is a difficult thing to do - you did the right thing for Rupert and like Willow said, he's running free from pain and waiting for you at the bridge.  My heart goes out to you.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
My heart is breaking for you both.  Thought of you throughout the night and I was hoping that your outcome would be different than ours, so sorry to hear it wasn't. Please know your are in my thoughts and prayers as you are grieving the loss of your precious boy. When or if you are ready to share stories/pics of Rupert please know the forum is always ready to listen and to help you through this difficult time. RIP Rupert.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Man that really is hard to read. I am sorry for your loss and will send our prayers your way.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss!  It is never easy to lose one of our babies but even harder when there isn't anything you can do for them!  We lost Berkeley to heart failure (at least that is the only thing the vet could come up with as a cause).  She just colapsed while out running and died minutes later.  She was also about 9.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am so sorry I know what it is like we just had to put BO to sleep about a month ago he too was 9,  His last night my husband had to stay up with him all night he was in so much agony.  I know it is hard, but posting on here does help. keep you stories coming and helping others with questions raising their boxers does help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts