Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure what category to use for this one..just some thoughts I've been having since Lucky passed and I'm now raising this new one. (Who is winning me over every day!) Lucky was my first dog and if I made any mistakes with him I don't want to make them again and everyone on this forum seems pretty wise so here goes...

Some friends of mine own Lucky's brother and sister (from the same litter). They are good people and love their pets but they have very busy lives..married, kids, jobs, etc..and the dogs kind of get ignored. I mean the kids play with them and they are taken care of but I can honestly say I don't think they have ever been walked (and they are 9..no joke!!) and they don't eat anything fancy. Just regular old cheap dry dog food. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if they never went to the vet for any check ups or vaccinations.

So me..I'm not married, no kids, not too many responsibilities in my life so all of my focus was on Lucky. We walked every day..sometimes multiple times if that's what he wanted to do. I fed him the best food and even made his food myself for years..chicken, rice, fresh veggies...and I made his treats also. I kept up on his vaccinations to the day..not overly vaccinating him just doing the main ones that would keep him from getting put down if he bit someone.

So anyways his brother and sister are perfectly healthy and he's dead..am I wrong for being jealous about this?

I guess my point is I tried to do everything right but I feel like maybe those right things were the wrong things? Like I read an article about too much exercise being bad for boxers. So now I'm feeling so much guilt and questioning all the choices I made for him. Maybe I over did it? I just wanna make sure if I did make a mistake I don't do it again. Or maybe I'm just being silly? But it's been on my mind a lot.

So what do you guys think and what's your take on food, too much exercise, vaccination..etc

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He had bone cancer..only diagnosed a few months before he passed. The vet pretty much said keep him comfortable until he is ready to go. From then on he had really good days and really bad days. Well one day..he was getting over a bad day..but eating and standing by his leash for a walk..so we tried just walking down the road only a few houses down then we turned around. On the way back he collapsed and died right away in the neighbors yard. I suspect a heart attack probably? I didn't do an autopsy since he was sick and I knew his time was running out anyways

·
Registered
51 Posts
Your boy was the way he was because of how you raised him. You did all the right things and he had a great life because of it. What happened to him was just plain ol' crap luck.

Your new baby is very lucky to have a mom like you to raise him and love him. He will fill the hole in your heart and before long he will be making new happy loving memories with you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree with Uncle Al! Don't be discouraged because of the situation. You took great care of Lucky, this was just his time to go unfortunately. It sounds like he had a very good life, don't forget that.

This new puppy sounds like he found the perfect mom! Keep it up :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think you did everything right ,don't blame yourself. I am no expert but I don't think dogs get bone cancer from too much exercise. As previous, it is just luck.

We can always blame ourselves - I have two experiences which sound funny but they play on me. 1. I bought my son a fancy goldfish and was told by the pet store to feed it normal gold fish food, but after about 6 months it was swimming around upside down, I went back to the pet shop to ask them what to do and they said, oh you shouldn't feed them that.. you should feed them something special. Well it was too late and I felt terribly guilty.

Story #2, I bought my other son a hamster, he lived until he was 2 and I think he died because I put bedding in that may not have been exactly correct and I blame myself for that.

But moving on, I now have a boxer and I have gone over the top researching the food that she should eat and also been very very careful on bedding. I have also read and learned from all of the stories on this forum and take them on board as if they were my own painful experiences. But nothing can change luck when it comes to cancer etc.

I hope you enjoy your new fur baby.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
So what do you guys think and what's your take on food, too much exercise, vaccination..etc

First your over thinking...maybe your related to my family, lol
You did everything correct and to the best of your ability and Lucky had a good life with you, he was happy and well cared for, and loved, what more can one ask for. When I was a child people didn't even keep dogs in their house they were usually tied outside on a chain, with a bowl for food, water and a dog house. We fed them crap like Ken-l-Ration, and dry purina dog food. Never saw a vet, didn't think they even treated dogs. Other dogs ran loose and there were always mixed breed puppies around. Our dogs usually lived to 10 or so. Today we pamper our pets and treat them like family, as I look over my should, our boxer is sound asleep on the couch with the tv on. He has already had his 1st meal and been walked and its 7:30 AM, in another couple hours he will go outside and play ball with one of us, and then take a walk. He eats a 4.5-5 Starr dog food always gets his vaccinations . He has toys to play with too. Its a different world and we treat them better, excersise is great for them and mine probably should get more, well technically he is my daughters and she is in nursing school at the moment. I think owning a dog is good for the soul and teaches you unconditional love, I can remember as a kid who I went too when I was sad about something, Ii was in with the outside dog) much better having them in with us now. LOL
Don't beat yourself up with what if or could I have done. Hold his memory in your heart and know you gave this incredible creature a loving caring home for his entire life. You were his "forever" home he never had to look for one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think it's all about luck of the draw - some dogs eat crap and never get exercise and live a really long time, others receive top notch food and care and live a shorter life. My boyfriend's dad has a lab that eats nothing but Purina "Moist and Meaty" and gets minimal attention, let alone exercise, and he's going on like 13 years now!

It's just like with people - sometimes the healthiest of people still get cancer and sometimes people who eat fast food and smoke cigarettes live to 90. I think all you can do is just feel good knowing you gave your dog a loving and good life and took the best possible care of him to make his time on earth worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I know how you feel!! I take good care of our pups, very regular vet visits, feed really good food, no fatty people food, control what they eat to keep weight in check - and still Max has had a MCT, a histiocytoma and now TPLO surgery. My son has two little Chi's that are fed the cheapest food they find the Japanese MIL feeds all kinds of table scraps and the exercise the older one gets is trying to attack the dogs behind them (much bigger than he is) through the fence, the younger one only goes outside to potty, both dogs weigh twice or three times what they should and since they don't see the vet very often they officially have no health problems (I'm sure their cholesterol is through the roof). It's just not fair.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Yes its true, some of us and our pets live unhealthy and are healthy...others eat organic and healthy and die of cancer. I think there is just a big book for all of us and whenever we are called back we are and we have no control. (and I'm not religious, but I do believe that)

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Cancer doesn't care what you eat (or don't eat), how much you exercise (or don't exercise). It has no rhyme or reason. It doesn't discriminate. As others have already said, it's just the (crappy) luck of the draw.

It sounds like you gave Lucky a very good life. He was lucky to have you (pun totally intended). We have to accept and enjoy the time we have with our pets. Unfortunately, none of them will ever live "long enough" for us. Just do the best you can for them while they are here. No one can ever fault you for that!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Rest easy, sweetie. You gave Lucky a wonderful life. Look back at all your pictures and think of all your beautiful memories. Think about the messages he's sent you from beyond the Bridge. He knows you're hurting and he's trying to let you know he's ok. Maybe, in some weird way, Lucky sent you the new puppy too. Now that I'm thinking about that, if you look back at your time with Lucky, did something happen on or near the date your boyfriend brought him home?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am with Lindar51...just bad luck....I also remember our first boxer a female named buttons.I named her I was 4...all we ever fed her was purina dog chow.no dog cookies,no walks ,she was a out side dog.had her run of back yard.Took her 2 vet once a year 4 her shots...She lived for 9 years.The boxer we have is almost 5 goes to vet...about 2 times a year.Even get his teeth cleaned.So I think it is just luck or bad luck about your boxer...Think you did your best and that is all we all can do,with our dogs .......:dontgetit:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for making me feel better. I didn't even think about how healthy people get cancer sometimes while smokers can live long lives. It made me think about a neighbor girl who spent the night once when we were kids and I offered her Fruit Loops in the morning and she had never heard of them..or any other sugary cereal. Her parents were health nuts. Anyways she got $ cancer at age 24. She's OK now but you guys made realize it's basically the same thing. I ate my surgery cereal every morning and haven't had cancer...I guess you're right it really is just bad luck 😢

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rest easy, sweetie. You gave Lucky a wonderful life. Look back at all your pictures and think of all your beautiful memories. Think about the messages he's sent you from beyond the Bridge. He knows you're hurting and he's trying to let you know he's ok. Maybe, in some weird way, Lucky sent you the new puppy too. Now that I'm thinking about that, if you look back at your time with Lucky, did something happen on or near the date your boyfriend brought him home?
Yes now that I think of it the day he brought Casper home is the day I found the little charm that said "Lucky" at the bottom of my purse. Also, Casper was born on Valentine's Day which is the day I brought Lucky home. (Luck was born on Christmas).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Aweee....see. Lucky in his own way...brought you Casper. It's great to hear (read) that you're coping nicely and accepting Casper on your own pace. It sounds like you two are going to be a perfect fit. :)

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Aweee....see. Lucky in his own way...brought you Casper. It's great to hear (read) that you're coping nicely and accepting Casper on your own pace. It sounds like you two are going to be a perfect fit. :)
LOL that's kinda what I think also! But I don't wanna be pushy on "advise." :)

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Yes now that I think of it the day he brought Casper home is the day I found the little charm that said "Lucky" at the bottom of my purse. Also, Casper was born on Valentine's Day which is the day I brought Lucky home. (Luck was born on Christmas).

LOL yet again more unrelated circumstances, one on one's ... that can't be replaced by another puppy. :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
awww, chip. It depends on what you believe and what your heart needs to heal. Might be more of a "girl thing". Don't discount it though!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts