Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Lol true I think it is a girl thing. But it's a comforting thing also. I grew up in church but my family was never "religious"..I could still go trick or treating and listen to Backstreet Boys..haha..we were always just more faithful when it comes to God and prayer and after I lost my dad I guess I look for signs everywhere I go that people that passed away are somewhere better and looking out for me

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Lol true I think it is a girl thing. But it's a comforting thing also. I grew up in church but my family was never "religious"..I could still go trick or treating and listen to Backstreet Boys..haha..we were always just more faithful when it comes to God and prayer and after I lost my dad I guess I look for signs everywhere I go that people that passed away are somewhere better and looking out for me

Hmmm I may have gotten lost here??? But as I see it ... this unexpected puppy is just chock full of signs!

I "still" won't say "Yay or Nay" but sigh ... if I was "forced" to render an "opinion" it would "Casper" is where he needs to be. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you think you are right! He had his first trip to the dog park today! I'll post some pics later 😊😊

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Thank you think you are right! He had his first trip to the dog park today! I'll post some pics later 😊😊

OMG!! OK I'm am most definitely not a fan of "Dog Parks!"

I am aware of several brutal horrible attacks and as it happens they tend to involve White Boxer puppies the last one which I never posted on her involved skull damage and the "puppy" was left blind in one eye! $14'000 dollar worth of reconstructive surgery required. There was another story which involved yet again, a White Boxer and that dog was left blind ... I remember that one particularly because I hesitated to issue my standard "Dog Park" warning.

By the time I did it was to late! I don't know if that member is still here?? So I can say without hesitation that "Pro's" who rehab dogs with serious "freaking issues" advise their clients to "Never" go to a "Dog Park" period, if your looking for poorly trained out of control dogs ... that's where your going to find them!

That being said ... what "I" advise is all pretty much here:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/7837361-post12.html6

Last link has a lot of "Puppy Stuff" by Brittany and she is a "Balanced" Dog Trainer and see the "Dog Park" warning in the link "New Dog a Challenge."

No dog I "do not know or have control" ever gets an opportunity to do my dogs harm, period end of story! And with my boys Gunther American Band Dawg) and Rocky OS WL GSD at least I was half way rational. But my Baby Girl (Struddell) NO! I'd have lost it, if a dog ever would have went after her!!

SO yeah I don't do "Dog Parks" I don't look for trouble ...nonetheless that fact of the matter is that most "attacks occur" close to home??

Rocky (OS WL GSD) and I nine attempts so far?? None successful thus far and no actually engagement necessary.

At any rate there is a lot of good advise in that link and as always ask questions.

Sorry I kinda sorta went off but pointing out things others might not beaware off .. is kinda my thing. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
No you are definitely right! I only go now when I see it's not crowded and we stayed on the other side of the fence. There is a a huge field behind the fenced in part and we let him and my sisters Yorkie poo run around there. Casper just observed the dogs who were in the fenced area. I think he was kind of scared but curious.

When lucky was younger I would take him before work every day. It was always the same group of people and the same group of dogs so everyone got a long. That was only weekdays! Weekends forget about it. He got in a bad fight with a rottweiler. The owners were just like Ya every time we bring him here he gets in a fight with a boxer. So one more try after that a few months later..gets in a fight with ANOTHER rot...I got bit..don't know which dog bit me but my hand was so infected the next day I had to go to the ER and I still have the scar. Someone once told me that they heard rots and boxers naturally don't get along but who knows how true that is. When he turned 7ish he started to becoming male aggressive so I just stopped taking him there all together..I didn't want to be "that guy" like u were saying who brings their bad dog to the park and doesn't have a clue what's going on. There's a park at the end of my road with a mile and a half hiking trail that was lucks favorite and that's really where I should be taking Casper I just don't have the strength to do it yet 😔

But anyways..that male aggression thing just came out of nowhere? Was it old age or what? I don't want Casper to be like that but now I am afraid of going inside the dog park because of Lucky...but I know he probably should be socialized with dogs other than my sisters yorkie..right?

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
No you are definitely right! I only go now when I see it's not crowded and we stayed on the other side of the fence. There is a a huge field behind the fenced in part and we let him and my sisters Yorkie poo run around there. Casper just observed the dogs who were in the fenced area. I think he was kind of scared but curious.

When lucky was younger I would take him before work every day. It was always the same group of people and the same group of dogs so everyone got a long. That was only weekdays! Weekends forget about it. He got in a bad fight with a rottweiler. The owners were just like Ya every time we bring him here he gets in a fight with a boxer. So one more try after that a few months later..gets in a fight with ANOTHER rot...I got bit..don't know which dog bit me but my hand was so infected the next day I had to go to the ER and I still have the scar. Someone once told me that they heard rots and boxers naturally don't get along but who knows how true that is. When he turned 7ish he started to becoming male aggressive so I just stopped taking him there all together..I didn't want to be "that guy" like u were saying who brings their bad dog to the park and doesn't have a clue what's going on. There's a park at the end of my road with a mile and a half hiking trail that was lucks favorite and that's really where I should be taking Casper I just don't have the strength to do it yet 😔

But anyways..that male aggression thing just came out of nowhere? Was it old age or what? I don't want Casper to be like that but now I am afraid of going inside the dog park because of Lucky...but I know he probably should be socialized with dogs other than my sisters yorkie..right?

LOL a "Yorkie??" That's not much of a slap around, punch in the face, high speed circles, try and knock them off their feet play pal! :)

But OK, well you have way more experiance with problem dogs than I was aware of?? :) Another heads up that one of my GSD pro Dog Parks friend made me aware ... most "attacks" occur close to home! Nine or 10 "attempts" for me so far ...seven on Rocky alone??? He seems to be a stray dog magnet??

Anyway ... known safe dogs is best.

Hmmm that's odd does that link I just posted work??? Someone let me know??

But I'll try again here:
German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Returning a pup back to a breeder

The Boxer Rottie thing ... don't know?? On GSD someone there said every time they encounter a problem dog ... it's a Boxer! SOme dogs are just trouble magnetics???

And I'm just more comfortable in training a dog to "ignore" other dogs than I am with making friends with them, that looks like this:

http://www.boxerforums.com/training/182657-teach-your-dog-ignore-other-dogs.html

If I don't have total control of all dogs involved ... I'm out of my comfort zone. But a dog that does not go crazy with excitement at seeing another dog would be the basis of successful meetings in anycase. :)

I think it was 6 years before Struddell, ever had free play with any dog other than her pack members and it went fine. :)

In that meet up I had control of problem dog number one Gunther, Dominate Male American Band Dawg and problem Dog number two Molly Dominate Female Queensland herder. A whole freaking desert to play in and sure enough those two have a run in!

But I grabbed both by the scruff ( not recommended no doubt) and told them to knock it off!! That was it no more problems, they just stayed clear of each other after that. :)

As it turned out Dillon (Border Collar) and Struddell (My White Boxer) were both "Balanced Dogs!" Zero issues, zero cause for concern! Those are the dogs people "think" they will be running across in random encounters ... maybe so. maybe not??

Great job in getting your guy out of trouble by the way. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The Yorkie is actually pretty tough! I have been trying to post videos of them playing but it never works. I feel bad for her because Lucky was her alpha and I think she is a little stressed now trying to take on his responsibilities..😔 But the two of them together are feisty! She's all black so we've been calling her Nicki Minaj (a female rapper) and we call Casper "MGK" who is a white rapper from Cleveland where we live...you probably don't get it but we think it's pretty funny 😊

I like the idea of teaching them to just ignore other dogs. I never thought of that and I'm gonna start researching it heavily! Do you currently have a German Shepard? You mentioned the desert and I saw you live in Nevada. I'm so jealous..would love to see the desert I never have. Been to the beach, mountains, but never the desert!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts