Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I got this from one of my mailing lists and thought I would pass it on.......

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/nutro.html

ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF DOGS BECOMING ILL
AFTER CONSUMING NUTRO MAX

We've been going through some major issues with Nutro and their new
formulas. They are completely changing some of their formulas, and
putting them out in bags with new graphics/colors, but the names are
still the same.

We were having occasional loose stool problems with the
old formula, but nothing like what we've gone through with the new
formula.

We fed Nutro Max Large Breed Adult. It was a beef and rice
based formula.

The new version is completely different. It is chicken
based, and the grain components have changed a lot too.

With the new
formula we had vomiting, explosive liquid diarrhea, and bad bad gas.

It was so bad 2 dogs had to go to the vet.
This was not simply a change in diet issue, it was a problem with the Nutro food.

We know that because
when we gave up and switched to a completely new brand of food, their
stools immediately improved(most within 24 hours).

When we called Nutro
and asked them about this, we got the same old story, no they hadn't had
any complaints, no they weren't aware of any problems.

They also would not tell us why they radically changed the formula, or why they didn't
change the name when they did so.

We found out from several wholesalers
that when they delivered the new formula, they took back any remaining bags of the old formula, as if it was some sort of under the table recall or something.

Whatever is going on with them, after 3 weeks of
hell, a house and yard that smelled like, well you all know what it smelled like, and a couple hundred bucks worth of Nature's Miracle, we are finished with them.

We are now feeding Precise Foundation Chicken
and Rice and we are not having any of the vomiting or diarrhea.

It's one thing when one dog has a problem. You can foist it off on the dog, or whatever.  

But we had 17 dogs, all of whom went through the same
thing at the same time.(some worse than others but we had 17 dogs with
the runs and all 17 cleared up when we stopped the Nutro). That tells me
it is the food.

Marc Sayer
Journalist, Photographer, Dog Trainer (APDT member #062956)
Board member - Western States Great Dane Rescue Association
Director of Operations & Training - Deaf Dane Rescue Inc.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I believe that is what they were feeding Keegan; Kathy gave me some so I could slowly wean him off it and put him on my food.  His poo is a bit runny but I figured it was all of the changes he went through.  I will have to check with her.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
last year we switched from nutro natural lamb and rice which we had used for a year...to that new nutro which was supposably holistic blah blah...

within 2 days Onyx had terrible diarrea and bloody throw up..it was aweful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and got the same crappy answer from nutro...they had no complaints...thats bull sh*t !!! b/c ive heard it from atleast 5 other people jsut here in hawaii...strangers that i didnt know ..i had brought the bag back to the store and there was another person doing the same...and 4 others commenting on issues they had with nutro or the ultra...

thats when we switched to chicken soup...

cant remember the date but it was in the midst of the dog food recall...

too bad b.c at one time nutro was really an ok food...and the nutromax cat is the one that has so much ash and other things that it almost killed our siamese...grranted he already had the bladder crystals issue ( we didnt know it b/c he was a rescue) but the vet informed us how BAD nutro max cat was for any indoor cat b/c the ash & magnesium contents were so incredibly high

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Thanks for the head up on this stuff!

Nano

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Jeez im so sorry i didnt share that story sooner..i thought i had but maybe not..or not the extent i should have..

it was an aweful experience...

the difference in the dogs on chicken soup compared to when they were on old nutro natural lamb & rice is amazing...all around..

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe they changed the packaging and in the process changed the ingredients...Theresa, I am not sure abt the Lamb & rice, let me see what else I can find out

·
Registered
314 Posts
Man I have been wondering....I switched duke from nutro large breed puppy to adult formula we have had 2 bags and OMG We have had to leave the window open on nice days!!!! and runny bms alot!  Im glad I read this I guess I will just have to go back to canidae! I thought that it was the adult formula my hubby and i have been trying to figure it out
Glad someone posted this

1 - 9 of 9 Posts