Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have been using Vita-gravy, or Iams Gravy every once in a while in Ashleys food..to give her a bit of variety. Well last evening..all is well, we went to bed, and about an hour later, I was woken by this awful odor. Ashley is still asleep..so I am thinking my male cat ( who is obese and has done this before ) has gotten up on the bed and had what I jokingly call "butt grease" on his hiney...this is PROBABLY what is the secretion for a smoother bowel movement..but GOD..it will clear a room if he has a "slip" and passes gas and some leaks out.
Anyway, no sign of the cat..the odor is getting worse..and suddenly Ashleys head comes up..and she starts franticly licking her behind, AND the blanket on the bed..so I am thinking..oh NO! she had a some juicy gas ( she did this to me once before when she was much younger )..I jumped up, and turned on the light..nothing..no spot..no mess..just this UGHHHH smell.
Well its obviously from HER, because she will not stop licking..so I took her outside, and tossed the banket in the laundry room, let her back in..and for a good 5-10 minutes she would not stop licking. So... I go get a washcloth..wash her back side..
And she licks for maybe another couple minutes..lays down, and goes back to sleep.
So, my question..has anyone ever had this happen to their dog?? Can a 5 1/2 month old need to have their anal glands expressed?? or do we have a Vita-gravy leak??  She is totaly fine today, not another peep from her..but she seemed quite distressed that she had this stench coming from her last night. (sorry all if this is gross..but I'm wondering if I need to have the vet express those glands next week when she goes for spaying, and cut out the gravy in her food .

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Sounds like she may have the beginnings of some backed up anal glands!  8O  I would bring her in and have the vet take a look. Thank goodness I've never had to deal with that, but a few of our members are "pros" at expressing anal glands.  :lol:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
You got me on that one; is she having soft poo where her glands don't express?

·
Registered
693 Posts
We have never had that problem with any of our Boxers but we used to have a Dobie/Coon mix that had to have his anal glands relieved. That boy stunk terrible. Never smelled anything quite like that before. After the vet visit he was fine.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Barb, nope, she is having normal stools, so thats why I was like WHAT??? I will have the vet check her when she gets spayed next week, and cut out the gravy..maybe thats adding to the oil secretion of these glands..LOL..my laundry room stunk like a porta-potty this morning..Ewwwww

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Sounds like anal gland to me too. Zulu had his emptied at the vets and it was awful. 8O  8O
Kept also waking up to a good awful smell and also when we were watching tv, its a very disgusting smell, almost fishy rotten smell. :puke:

She might need to go to the vet to have it emptied or it might keep leaking. pheeeeewieeeeeeeeeee, you'll need a peg for your nose. 8O

I bet the poor cat werent at all happy for getting the blame for that one :lol:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Our lab always lets us know when his anal glands need expressing by scooting across the carpet - YUK!  Our vet does it, and immediately sprays cologne on "the area" to mask the odor.  We usually have it done at each dog's annual checkup.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I have had to express the anal glands of an 8 week old puppy....so it can be an issue at any age.....I would just have them checked when you go in.....It is also possible there is no problem at all....it could be as easy as she was having a bad dream and was startled and they expressed.....this is the same gland that a skunk has and all I can say is thank goodness dogs dont spray us with it like skunks....but I have been "shot" many times by scared dogs.....Have it checked to be safe when you go in.....also discourage licking of them or the juice because it contains bacteria that can cause a sore throat :)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
yuck, never had to deal with it but yea i would have the vet look at it...i hope everything is better for you tonite tho linda :)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank Sharon, I never looked at it from that point of view ( serious..they spray???  You poor thing to have that fly on to you..I'd rush home for a shower! )..the poor thing was licking so wildly , I actualy held her down to see if there was a worm or something. God..the smell...I think the blanket may need to be tossed, but I will try some bleach tonight and see if that cures the odor.
Also..is there some way to tell if her throat is hurting her..like excessive drooling?? I need her healthy for the spay next week, and hope I didn't let her ingest anything nasty like that. Also, IF this ever happens again..what do you do?? just washcloth and mild soap on their backside? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
The bacteria in the throat thing usually comes with ones that have on going issues and sit licking there bottoms all the time....I am sure you have nothing to worry about from this one time here......And yes just wash it with an Anti-bac soap and water.....the smell lingers though...even after the bath :) Yum Yum!

·
Registered
977 Posts
[quote="tootsie\";p=\"119782":2btyw3be]Sounds like she may have the beginnings of some backed up anal glands!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
:))  Annette...how on earth did you figure out I was talking about you?!! :))  

Alright...since you guessed it was you, the other "pro" is obviously Sharon, and you two are the only members that I know of that can handle and deal with this "stinky" issue on your own. You two should have some type of an "official anal gland reliever" rank in your titles! :rofl:
At least if I ever do need some advice I know where to go!  :lol:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ummmmm Lisa? - please don't start calling me "Anal Gland Annette" even if it has a certain ring to it :oops:  hahahahaaaa!!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
[quote="caillou\";p=\"120517":bg0olezc]Ummmmm Lisa? - please don't start calling me "Anal Gland Annette" even if it has a certain ring to it :oops:

·
Banned
7,576 Posts
=))   Me too!! OMG!!  Well, I guess there are worse things to be called...lol!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just dealt with this with our Molly girl. She is notorious for her awful gas (audible and clears a room, the lady has not been schooled on SBDs apparently) but this smell was different.... And she always tries to catch her nub-tail but recently she was DETERMINED and CAUGHT the damn tail. I could tell she was being driven crazy and had read before about anal gland expression so figured that's what it was. I brought her first thing this morning instead of waiting til I was off work on Friday because I couldn't bear to see her uncomfortable.

Sure enough, her right gland was FULL. The doctor did her magic, cleaned her up, squirted some perfume on her posterior and we were done. Best $16.00 spent in this dog/s 18 months of life!

Best of luck with your little stinker...

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Read each and every one of your posts - and giggled! I am sorry your girl has this problem but I am sure it is something a gentle "squeeze" will help!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts