Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the doors (there's 2) on Willow's crate are not that sturdy. She escaped at 4:30am today!! Any ideas on what to use to keep the doors "locked" when she's in it? I am going to use zip ties for today, but that could get expensive if I have to use them every day! I need a more permanent solution.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
My friend has a scotty that opens his, when I watch him for her I put a clip on the top and bottom, like one you hold a bunch of keys on not sure what you call them, or just like the clip on a leash end, but you have to clip both the top and the bottom

·
Registered
353 Posts
Im assuming you have a wire crate? I prefer the hard plastic ones. In my experience, the dogs prefer it as its more den like and they are not easily "escapable". If you are keeping the crate, the suggestion of a carbeener (or the thing that holds keys) makes sense!

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
Use his leash latch,economic :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im assuming you have a wire crate? I prefer the hard plastic ones. In my experience, the dogs prefer it as its more den like and they are not easily "escapable". If you are keeping the crate, the suggestion of a carbeener (or the thing that holds keys) makes sense!
Yes it's wire. Yes I may try the carabeener idea or the leash latch thing idea! It was also suggested by a family member to use small combination locks (like the size you use on luggage).

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
Nothing to complicated to open,you know,in case of emergency

·
Registered
14 Posts
We use zip ties at our wal mart here In utah they are 2.50 for a 100 pack. Our male boxer had severe seperation anxiety after we moved houses and knew how to unlock his kennel and would get out tearing stuff up because he was a mess that we weren't home.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
You guys do "understand" that if you "need to" force your dog to remain in a "Crate" then you have underlying "issues" that you are not addressing???

To be fair ... I have not "Crate Trained" a dog but my "Expectation" would be, that if I send a dog I have "Crate Trained" door "Open or Closed" my dog will not exit the "Crate until I say so!

The "Crate Door" becomes a "threshold" and dogs don't exit "Thresholds" without permission. If they do ... then "solution" lies elsewhere??? :)

Happy to explain ... if requested otherwise "Zip Tie, D Ring and Bunge Cord" away. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
You guys do "understand" that if you "need to" force your dog to remain in a "Crate" then you have underlying "issues" that you are not addressing???

To be fair ... I have not "Crate Trained" a dog but my "Expectation" would be, that if I send a dog I have "Crate Trained" door "Open or Closed" my dog will not exit the "Crate until I say so!

The "Crate Door" becomes a "threshold" and dogs don't exit "Thresholds" without permission. If they do ... then "solution" lies elsewhere??? :)

Happy to explain ... if requested otherwise "Zip Tie, D Ring and Bunge Cord" away. :)
Hence using a crate to keep them safe....

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Hence using a crate to keep them safe....
LOL ... yes but ... my point was that if people are going to the "bother" of "Crating" there dog they should "understand" that a by product of doing so is that dog needs to understand that it is to "settle down" in there "Safe Place." If they need to use "restraints" to keep the dog in the "Crate" then the message is not being received??

Most likely these "Crate" breakers have other "issues" that have not been addressed and thus they can't be trusted at home alone ... don't know??? But "Training Calmness" into a dog is a "behaviour that can be trained."

One could either address the issue directly and "Correct" the dog for "inappropriate behaviour" in the "Crate" or "Flank The Dog" and address the issue indirectly and maybe the inappropriate behaviour ... will disappear .. "Train Calmness." Or better still in my "opinion" is do both.

The Carabiner or Zip Tie approach does "neither??" But if people are "content" with the stronger crate approach ... go for it! It's a lot less "effort" then anything I'd suggest. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
LOL ... yes but ... my point was that if people are going to the "bother" of "Crating" there dog they should "understand" that a by product of doing so is that dog needs to understand that it is to "settle down" in there "Safe Place." If they need to use "restraints" to keep the dog in the "Crate" then the message is not being received??

Most likely these "Crate" breakers have other "issues" that have not been addressed and thus they can't be trusted at home alone ... don't know??? But "Training Calmness" into a dog is a "behaviour that can be trained."

One could either address the issue directly and "Correct" the dog for "inappropriate behaviour" in the "Crate" or "Flank The Dog" and address the issue indirectly and maybe the inappropriate behaviour ... will disappear .. "Train Calmness." Or better still in my "opinion" is do both.

The Carabiner or Zip Tie approach does "neither??" But if people are "content" with the stronger crate approach ... go for it! It's a lot less "effort" then anything I'd suggest. :)
You have to be careful correcting a dog in a crate. A clown I knew broke his dogs leg flipping the crate.
I'd suggest an ecollar. You could use a correction collar attached to a line out of the crate, but you must be careful.
Anytime a dog is breaking out of a crate, you need to upgrade the crate. They will continue to think they can do it again. I've seen dogs get hurt escaping. I always suggest to go with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050ICOW4/ref=asc_df_B0050ICOW44844211/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395009&creativeASIN=B0050ICOW4&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167152134657&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17083651323849491126&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005607&hvtargid=pla-274108458363
Vet bills add up quickly on a hurt dog.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
You have to be careful correcting a dog in a crate. A clown I knew broke his dogs leg flipping the crate.
UH OH!!!! A clown you know did that ... hmmm. Well I certainly hope it was not a GSD??? Let's just say ... I know where the "Crate Flipping" thing originated ...
and "the people" were uh ...not amused! :chair:.

It's a small world after all it would seem ... but that's another story. :)

I'd suggest an ecollar. You could use a correction collar attached to a line out of the crate, but you must be careful.
Well this is worth discussing further ... but to state the obvious ... the "members" thus far are only interested in the "Zip Tie" "Carabiner" "Stronger Crate" approach??? None of which addresses the underlying issue. The dog won't settle down in the Crate??

JQP, seems to think, that they are doing there dog a favor by allowing there dog to continue to "Struggle" with an issue ... rather than addressing it directly, quickly and helping there dog get over it. They don't want to make there dogs "uncomfortable." So behaviours get "ignored" for the most part until an owner's patience wears thin, the dog becomes unmanageable or someone gets hurts. The good news is that when an owner "stops" doing and starts thinking they've taken the first step to fixing there dog ... "outthink there dog." :)

Moving on ... yes an "E-Collar" "lou Castle" use to say on the "GermanshepardFourm" (before he got Banned, I'm still "miffed" about that!!)
That the "fastest and most humane way to train a dog is with the proper use of an E-Collar." Sooo no "clowns" breaking legs.

For those that don't know "lou" that would be this guy.:
How To...

He'd also say "everything" people need to know to "properly use an E-Collar ...is available on his site." And as I seen more and more of the trainers I tend to follow (that work with dogs with serious freaking issues) all seem to be using an "E-Collar." They also train "Place" and do "Sit on the Dog" for the record. And they can give a timeline .... "Two Weeks Board and Train" in most cases. But that comes at a "CO$$T" I can't do or give a timeline. But then ... I don't get paid for my time. I'm a "Horse and Buggy guy so a "SLL" is about as "High Tech" as I get.

E-Collar Crate and a "Behaviour Modification Protocol" should be simple enough??? But I doubt most "average pet owners" could or would be willing to do that???

There are "low" tech options available for those that "do belive" the dog needs to go in the "Crate" and "Settle Down." If it's a "Plastic Crate" tie a rope around it go in the hallway and wait for the dog to start making noise and yank the crate! Or use a "Bonker" and throw it at the Crate. Those options would give one distance.

Or ... "surprising to me???" William Kohler suggested "strict formal obedience training" (and I'll add proper management) and the "issues" may just disappear," without being directly addressed ie "Flank the Dog."

So there are options to address the dog "not" settling in the Crate but ... no ones asked. :)

Anytime a dog is breaking out of a crate, you need to upgrade the crate. They will continue to think they can do it again. I've seen dogs get hurt escaping. I always suggest to go with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050ICOW4/ref=asc_df_B0050ICOW44844211/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395009&creativeASIN=B0050ICOW4&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167152134657&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17083651323849491126&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005607&hvtargid=pla-274108458363
Vet bills add up quickly on a hurt dog.
LOL now that's a "Crate!" But that is "crazy???" Wouldn't something like that be a "temporary solution???" Until a change in "attitude (the dog's) was achieved???

If a "Crate like that is "always" required ... someone has a "serious problem???"

·
Registered
77 Posts
UH OH!!!! A clown you know did that ... hmmm. Well I certainly hope it was not a GSD??? Let's just say ... I know where the "Crate Flipping" thing originated ...
and "the people" were uh ...not amused! :chair:.

It's a small world after all it would seem ... but that's another story. :)

Well this is worth discussing further ... but to state the obvious ... the "members" thus far are only interested in the "Zip Tie" "Carabiner" "Stronger Crate" approach??? None of which addresses the underlying issue. The dog won't settle down in the Crate??

JQP, seems to think, that they are doing there dog a favor by allowing there dog to continue to "Struggle" with an issue ... rather than addressing it directly, quickly and helping there dog get over it. They don't want to make there dogs "uncomfortable." So behaviours get "ignored" for the most part until an owner's patience wears thin, the dog becomes unmanageable or someone gets hurts. The good news is that when an owner "stops" doing and starts thinking they've taken the first step to fixing there dog ... "outthink there dog." :)

Moving on ... yes an "E-Collar" "lou Castle" use to say on the "GermanshepardFourm" (before he got Banned, I'm still "miffed" about that!!)
That the "fastest and most humane way to train a dog is with the proper use of an E-Collar." Sooo no "clowns" breaking legs.

For those that don't know "lou" that would be this guy.:
How To...

He'd also say "everything" people need to know to "properly use an E-Collar ...is available on his site." And as I seen more and more of the trainers I tend to follow (that work with dogs with serious freaking issues) all seem to be using an "E-Collar." They also train "Place" and do "Sit on the Dog" for the record. And they can give a timeline .... "Two Weeks Board and Train" in most cases. But that comes at a "CO$$T" I can't do or give a timeline. But then ... I don't get paid for my time. I'm a "Horse and Buggy guy so a "SLL" is about as "High Tech" as I get.

E-Collar Crate and a "Behaviour Modification Protocol" should be simple enough??? But I doubt most "average pet owners" could or would be willing to do that???

There are "low" tech options available for those that "do belive" the dog needs to go in the "Crate" and "Settle Down." If it's a "Plastic Crate" tie a rope around it go in the hallway and wait for the dog to start making noise and yank the crate! Or use a "Bonker" and throw it at the Crate. Those options would give one distance.

Or ... "surprising to me???" William Kohler suggested "strict formal obedience training" (and I'll add proper management) and the "issues" may just disappear," without being directly addressed ie "Flank the Dog."

So there are options to address the dog "not" settling in the Crate but ... no ones asked. :)

LOL now that's a "Crate!" But that is "crazy???" Wouldn't something like that be a "temporary solution???" Until a change in "attitude (the dog's) was achieved???

If a "Crate like that is "always" required ... someone has a "serious problem???"
Trying to train with direct approaches benefit a dog. Bonking or crate shaking creates fear in a crate. But if you can directly correct a dog in the crate you will get further.
You aren't trying to create fear of the crate. But rather stop a behavior of the dog.
The biggest issue I see with SA cases, most owners (sorry way off topic) cannot say what they do with their dog before they left or before the issue arose. Yes there are true cases caused by bad genetics, but not as prevalent as some trainers say. Leash walks are not stress relievers for dogs. Its exercise for you. Running off leash, ball chasing, etc. You want to use mind and body.
And that crate is an investment. I'd rather pay $600 on a crate , that $2000 on vet bills because my dog destroyed himself breaking out.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Trying to train with direct approaches benefit a dog. Bonking or crate shaking creates fear in a crate. But if you can directly correct a dog in the crate you will get further.
You aren't trying to create fear of the crate. But rather stop a behavior of the dog.
The biggest issue I see with SA cases, most owners (sorry way off topic) cannot say what they do with their dog before they left or before the issue arose. Yes there are true cases caused by bad genetics, but not as prevalent as some trainers say. Leash walks are not stress relievers for dogs. Its exercise for you. Running off leash, ball chasing, etc. You want to use mind and body.
And that crate is an investment. I'd rather pay $600 on a crate , that $2000 on vet bills because my dog destroyed himself breaking out.
Aww well ... it's already wayyy off topic. But we do "this" on the GSDForum ... all the time! OP's "disappear" and "we" go on and on. :)

No disagreement on a "Direct Approach" for "some issues." But I tend to reserve "Stopping a behaviour "Cold" for issues that could get a dog killed! Door bolters, fence jumpers ... counter surfing etc. If one does not stop that kinda crap right now ... they might not have a dog to train???

The "indirect" approach for addressing "annoying behaviours??" I'd heard that first from "Sean O'shea" "The Good Dog Guy." I "thought" it was something new?? Sean labeled it "Flanking the Dog." Something I'd always done as it happens but did not "know" I did?? I was quite surprised to discover the suggestion to address issues "indirectly" was in "William Kohler's" book ... live and learn. :)

If you say "Walks" don't relieve stress ... I have no disagreement with that. That's not why I found them to be "important." Failure to "Walk" was one of the first "mistakes" I made with my "GSD???" And I couldn't get him over his "People Issues" without "Waking him" and "ignoring people."

When I work with rescues ... my primary "tool" is "Walking." I have an hour or two with a given dog maybe?? And I don't plan on being dragged around for that time by a "Claimed Puller." If I have to spend thirty to forty minutes just getting a dog to walk properly ... that's time lost on working on other issues. In most cases (for me) in less than four minutes we are on our way "pulling free" SLL thing and we can now work on other issues. Fear of people and Deer Chasing of all things come to mind. The "Deer thing" even stunned me??? So I'll simply go with "Cesar" on this one ... "Walk Your Dog."

And the "Bonking and the Crate" thing??? I take your point ... but as they say ... we have to agree to disagree. "People" assume that (for the dog) "because" a "bad thing" happened ... this is a "scary place to be???" I don't see how the same thing can't be said about using an "E-Collar" to correct a dog for inappropriate behaviour in a "Crate??" But as I don't use one ... I'll defer to you on that one. :)

As for me ... that's not how "I think" ... if properly timed ... the dog's behaviour causes the "bad" thing to happen??? If I don't do "that" nothing bad happens in here (the dog)??? Self Correcting Behaviour ... it's no different than using a "Throw Chain." If I do this "something bad happens" so I won't do that???:

Dog Training and Obedience Articles | Self Correction - Carpentersville, Illinois

As I am want to say ... "there is always that guy."

And that "Monster Crate" I have no disagreement on the value of it??? But I do think asking if such a "Crate" with a given dog is always going to be necessary ... is a fair question???

And most likely as you know ... the only thing three dog trainers will agree on, is that one of them is wrong. :p

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
But if you can directly correct a dog in the crate you will get further.
Aww ... just "noticed this." I'll consider my "E-Collar" question as answered. :)

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Sigh ... I did it again ..."S/A" as off topic. Yeah I have no doubt most owners have no clue "what they did to create it as an issue???" Most likely poor management is the source and it just goes downhill from there???

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sigh ... I did it again ..."S/A" as off topic. Yeah I have no doubt most owners have no clue "what they did to create it as an issue???" Most likely poor management is the source and it just goes downhill from there???
It starts somewhere. If it's not a rescue, you could link it there. Sometimes nerves and poor breeding contributes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts