Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the little one lookin all akward tryin to sit and then walkin around so I knew she had to poo, let her out and she just looks at me forever tell her to go and she doesnt move so I let her in and went to get her food come up 2 SECONDS later and she pooped in the living room, whyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!?? arrrgg

·
Registered
220 Posts
Have you ever yelled at her when she was pooping?  If so, she may think that you don't like to see her do it, and so waited until you looked away.... just a thought.  I seriously got mine potty trained in three days.  I just got him on thursday.  I have been ridiculously consistent with not free feeding or watering, making sure he goes out after naps, meals and play.  I also do the same thing everytime- put on the leash, take him to the same spot, command, and then super praise.  I also do not really pay much attention to him until after he has gone.  Then we can play and get rubs and all that..... hope something helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice..
Its so cold here sometimes I just dont want to go outside and plus she knows right from wrong now so she knows why I push her little butt outside..
Her bladder i guess just isnt fully developed and if no ones right there she thinks she can get away with it i guess...
But my boyfriend just brought home another pup, so the potty training isnt yet far from over..
And Adrian is a little princess and sits on the grill to clock the wind cuz she hates being outside..

So we havent named our new little girl, she isnt a boxer, my boyfriend adopted her... anyone have any suggestions on names.. its so hard!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Rocky&Adrian\";p=\"940 said:
Thanks for the advice..
Its so cold here sometimes I just don't want to go outside and plus she knows right from wrong now so she knows why I push her little butt outside..
Her bladder i guess just isn't fully developed and if no ones right there she thinks she can get away with it i guess...
But my boyfriend just brought home another pup, so the potty training isnt yet far from over..
And Adrian is a little princess and sits on the grill to clock the wind cuz she hates being outside..

So we havent named our new little girl, she isnt a boxer, my boyfriend adopted her... anyone have any suggestions on names.. its so hard!!!
I don't think dogs ever "know" right from wrong - they are conditioned to behave in a certain manner.  A dog should never be punished for going in the house - it is always the owner's fault when the dog goes in the house.  

Chloe this morning - I couldn't find her leash - so I was searching around for it and she went right at the front door - TOTALLY my fault - I should have left her in the crate until I had her leash.  While she was going I said - "no potty" picked her up - (she stopped peeing) and took her outside where she finished and I said "good potty!" with lots of praise.  This way she is conditioned to have "good things happen" when she goes outside, but no praise when she goes inside.

There are a few things you can do to keep them from going in the house.

1.  Crate Train!  Dogs are less likely to potty where they sleep - unless they were conditioned to sleep/lay in it at one point.
2.  Never let them out of your sight while in the house.
3.  Always take them out on schedule - 10-15 minutes after they eat or drink, every time they get up or are let our of their crate, and about every hour they are out and about in the house outside of the crate.
4.  Always take them outside to the same spot
5.  Any accidents in the house need to be cleaned up using an enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle - it totally removes the spell.  Any area that smells like potty - dogs think that they should potty there.
6.  Remember that full bladder control isn't usually established until 6-9 months of age (or so I have read).  Also don't expect them to hold it for very long as a puppy - like maybe 4 hours in a crate during the day max.

You can hinder housebreaking by scolding a puppy - pushing their nose in it - etc.  A dog has no idea why you are mad at them for what they did 3 minutes ago - that was three minutes ago - if you don't catch them in the act - there is not much you can do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts