Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sophie's been on Panacur (dewormer) and Metronidazole for 5 days now and as of last night finally started eating her food yesterday afternoon again.  On Monday she started with a really soft stool and before the night was over she had pooped at least 15 times and the stools were like a big water bubble (mucus and water).  Poor thing she was just going and going and going.   By morning I was getting very concerned but lucky for me her vet called me to check up on her.  I told her about the diarreah and she told me that Sophie was probably shedding the giardia from her intestines and that the Metronidazole should help stop the diarreah, but if it didn't bring her in.  There was no more diarreah yesterday, in fact she only went poop once all day (very unusual for her).  Today her stool is back to normal.  She's on the Metronidazole til Saturday and then we go get another stool exam.  I just have to say that I read lots of posts here regarding the home remedies for diarreah and they all worked great from the Pepto Bismo and Gatorade ice cubes, to Ensure to keep her hydrated and give her some calories.  Thanks everyone for your helpful and lifesaving suggestions.  She's still very thin and I can see all of her ribs and spine.  UGH!!!  But, I'm hoping we're out of the woods now and on the road to recovery.  P.S. sorry for the poop report, just hoping it might be helpful to someone else going through this bug!!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Better news, sounds like she is on the road to recovery, feel better soon Sophie.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm glad Sophie is on the mend and hopefully will be her old self shortly!  :)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I am glad to hear that Sophie is doing better, or at least that the diarrhea has stopped. (That would have been uncomfortable for her.  :(  Don't worry about her being skinny, just keep up with what you are doing and she will pack on the pounds soon enough. Have you tried Rebound? or Ensure? Sorry if you have already said you have, I can't remember, but that stuff will help loads with weight gain. Good luck and I'm sure she will be all better soon.  :wink:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yea, Kate I'm glad to hear that Sophie is doing better..Bless her heart, this has been a wee bit tough....Give that sweetie a big hug for me...The weight will start coming back on now that she's on the mend.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Glad she is doing better!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts