Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sophie's vet just called to tell me that her fecal exam shows that she has Giardia.  Has anyone else had to deal with this and was it hard to clear up.  I'm freaking out right now because the vet said that I have to treat the areas she has gone to the bathroom with bleach and that we can all get sick from it.  Since I've had the stomach flu for 3 days now, I'm really in a panic.  I carry her all the time and pick up after her of course.  Any comments would be most welcome.  The vet is going to treat her with two medications that I will be picking up tomorrow - a pill and some powdered stuff I will be mixing with her food.  I don't know how she could have picked it up, but I guess they will be treating Kane too and I have to bring a stool sample from him in too.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about this Kate. I wish I had some tips or advice for you but as you know, I am still learning. I'm sure you will get some good advice here, maybe Sharon will have some ideas.

I hope that it clears up quickly for her and that everybody else hasn't been affected. Please keep us posted on how everyone is doing.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oh Kate
so sorry to hear of all your troubles.  I've never dealt w/ this so I have no advice.  Hope everyone gets better soon.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ah Kate, I am sorry to hear this...I just read that article that Lisa gave you and it sounds like she could have gotten it anywhere..Do you think you should have Kane tested as well? Might not hurt....And you are sick as well? When it rains it pours....Hoping both you & Sophie get to feeling better real quick and sending some healing vibes your way....

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sophie doesn't show any signs of being sick, she's as wild as ever and has never had diarrhea or shown any signs of being ill.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
So sorry to hear Sophie is sick (and you too).  Hope you all get better soon.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Well at least Sophie isn't in any pain or anything, if she's still as crazy as ever that has to be a good sign. Try and get some sleep tonight and rest assured that the Chlorox will do its job. :wink: I hope you all feel better soon. ((hugs))

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Kate, I am so sorry to hear about you and Sadie...I know nothing about it but I'm wishing you and her get better real soon!!  ((( tons of get better hugs )))

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
never dealt with it personally, but i sure hope sadie gets to feeling better soon!! please keep up posted kate

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
sending good thoughts and prayers your way,..hope shes feeling better and of course you also.. :pray:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Kate...if it makes you feel better it is very unlikly that your sickness is the same as Sophie's.  

Yes people can get it,  it is just not common and you would have to basically drink or some other way swallow feces/pods of Giardia.  Thats possible I guess by drinking infected water (standing water) or picking up poop and putting your fingers in or around your mouth without washing your hands.  I handle dog/cat poop from daylight to dark (literally) and have never had Giardia.

It is not easy to catch (dogs normally have no signs), the pods under a micro are tiny and not many people use the Giardia snap test unless they suspect it. You tend to find it when looking for something else or find it when loose stool comes back over and over with no cause.

You said she never goes outside and does not get around standning water, so it is possible that she has had it since you got her from your breeder.  It is common in kennel/puppy settings if the stools are not picked up right away and when there are 8-12 puppies around that is sometimes hard to do....

It is possible she can give it to Kane or that he gave it to her (if she has been around his poop) or he has been around her's...We see it more in dogs that actually pick up, lick or eat feces, one can re-infect by eating their own poop.

It is not hard to get rid of normally a week of med's....Pick up the poop and dispose of quickly and then use bleach/water combo to clean or Lysol spray also kills it.... Make sure to wipe Sophies backside off after she poops because they can sometimes hang out on the hair around the anus, or give a booty bath every other day. (wash your hands good after cleaning anything)

We use Metronidazole for killing Giardia, that is why sometimes when dogs go in for loose stool you will get this product or one similiar.  It stops loose stool and kills Giardia just in case it is there and was not seen!

Good luck....and don't worry it is fixable real quick...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thinking of the three of you and sending well wishes and hopes that you get this behind you very soon.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hi Kate,
I've had Giardia and Coccidia in the past. Both are pretty common occurrences since we live near one of the world's biggest fresh water bodies of water. Our wildlife tends to carry it and transmit it via their urine and feces in our soil and drainage water. Doesn't mean that I keep my dogs in kennels, or that my dogs live outside or that I keep a dirty home, rather, it's just the nature of our geography.

The powder that you're using is likely Panacur. I use it occasionally to treat my girls when they've come home with the runs after a swim. I just make sure to keep some on hand and use common sense when allowing them access to the lake or rivers. We don't swim in stagnant water and make sure not to swim after big rains.

For treatment of your yard, try spreading lime. It neutralizes the soil and kills the buggers. Simply place it in a fertilizer spreader and go to town. You can purchase lime from your local home improvement store. It comes in 50lb bags.

I also add a high quality probiotic supplement to their diet, which encourages the growth of good bacteria in the colon (good bacteria combat bad bacteria and other intestinal parasites).

There is also an old german product called Olewo carrots which are nothing more than dried pelletized carrots. The manufacturer claims that the oils in carrots combat parasites, however, I know that carrots also add bulk fiber to the diet which also encourages the growth of good bacteria. You can also try adding 100% pure canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) in place of carrots. Don't overdo it, as too much can act as a laxative, rather just add a tsp or two.

Good luck, sorry that you're both feeling under the weather! Get well soon!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you Sharon and Jessica, I feel much better now that you have explained it to me.  Nothing like being told your baby has creepy crawlers inside to make your day.  I think I've just had the flu as it has turned into a cold this morning.  Thanks so much for everyone's concern and suggestions.  I hope we can get Sophie over this real without anymore trouble.  Sounds like it's just a matter of time and meds!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My vet recommends that we bring the puppies in just to hang out a couple of times and to meet everyone and get treats when they weren't there for an appointment, so the kids learn that the vet's is a fun place to go.  I thought this was very a cool idea and took both of them there this morning to get Sophie's medications and drop off Kane's specimen.  They both had a good time getting acquainted with everyone and being fed yummy dog treats.  Thought I'd pass along the idea for some of you that have had bad experiences with going to the vet.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Glad to hear your spirits are up Kate. I know when the vet told us Sadie had coccidia I was freaked out too. She cleared up in record time though, the meds worked really well. I'm sure it will be the same case for Sophie. Hope your cold goes away soon too.  :wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts