Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ziggi is having trouble with the pads on his feet.  He seems to be getting more cuts/cracks on them than our other boxers have.  Then he gets grouchy.  It is like the pads have little cracks on them and he even gets some on the sides where there is (I think cuts) and they get very red?  Also under his front nails there are really red places not really blood but they get bright red.   So far we have only noticed this in the winter?  Thinking it is from ice/snow and him running in it.  We put anitbiotic lotion on it with pain killer in it.  That helps some but Zig LOVES lotion of any kind so he licks most of it off.  Anyone else have this happen and have any suggestions to help them heal up or prevent it?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I would use liquid bandages on the cuts.    Clean them, apply some neosporin then use the liquid bandaid to cover and keep them clean.   This was he is not licking it off.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I was going to say neosporin as well. Also, maybe booties would solve your problem...I know Sadie hates hers, but some dogs don't mind them at all and they protect their little paws.

Also, after you've put the neosporin or ointment on maybe you could try giving Ziggi a chew toy like a bully stick or something so the ointment can do it's job without being licked off! I hope they heal quickly.

·
Registered
455 Posts
This happend to me but not as bad, it was between her toes so I would was them every night and put Aquaphor or Vaseline on them.  I like the Aquaphor the best and it worked great.  It's been a awful winter. :(

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone!  Great suggestions to try.  

I use the liquid band-aid alot for myself and love how it works (liked it better BEFORE they changed the product but still works okay!).  The vaseline is a good idea too, maybe right before bed.  It is so hard with lotion and Zig, we try to put hand lotion on our selves and he runs over and starts licking our hands!  8O

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I have the same problem with my baby's feet. It was recommended to me to use a good moisturizer - something plain but heavy, like the aquaphor. I asked about vaseline but was told it might stain more where it is more of an ointment based product. But since they like to lick it off to get baby/toddler socks to put on their feet after you put it on to let it soak in (and so it doesn't get on furniture or bedding).

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah hasn't had that problem but someone at the dog park says she used Carmex on her dogs feet, it worked great but they didn't lick it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More great ideas.  Never thought of the carmex, we always have that around.  If we could just find something that he didn't like to lick that would be great.  I even use alot of Burt's Bees products so at least if he licks it it is all natural!  8O  :D

The baby socks are a great idea too, tried the adult socks and they are too big and he hates them!  :?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts