Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Starr05\";p=\"10782 said:
She gets 2 cups 4 times a day plus the yogurt and she gets chicken and rice with her dinner.
2-cups over the course of four times a day for a total of 2-cups a day, or 2-cups each feeding four times a day for a total of 8-cups a day?!?!?

If you're feeding your puppy 8-cups of dog food a day, you're over-feeding (which isn't showing of-course).  If you have a skinny dog that is being over-fed, then either there is something wrong with your dog's digestive system, or the food they are getting isn't "sticking", and you might consider switching to a differant dog food.

If your puppy is getting 2-cups a day total, that's about right on amount, and I can't explain what the problem is, but remember a Boxer puppy isn't supposed to be a glutton or a mammoth.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Oops, my-bad... I was thinking she was still a pup...

If she is truly too lean, the concentrated, meat based products will help.  Get a dog food with at least two meat-products listed in the first four ingredients.

Still, 8-cups a day even for a full-grown dog is excessive... and no weight gain, there's something not right there.

Have you checked for tape-worms?  This almost sounds like a tape-worm problem.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Flutterby\";p=\"10793 said:
I would get a stool sample.. She may have some kind of "bug" taking the nutrients away..
Really sounds like tape-worms to me... OVER-eating (8-cups is over-eating regardless of age), and no weight gain sounds a lot like tape-worms.

This is a medical problem, not a diet problem.  No-way a dog eats 8-cups of ANYTHING a day and not gain weight.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Dunno what to tell you... 8-cups a day is a TON of food for a Boxer of any age.  At that rate, you should have a very fat dog.  Every sign here screams intestinal parasite, but you say the vet says their isn't one... who am I to say otherwise (though if it was me I'd get a 2nd opinion on the tapeworm theory with the history you've told me).

If it ain't tapeworms, I'm at a loss... no way a boxer eats 8-cups a day and doesn't gain weight without something being wrong.

Sorry, I'm of no help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.