Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I just got a 10 week old boxer puppy a few days ago. I have no idea what I’m doing with crate training. I have her crate next to our bed which she has no problem sleeping in throughout the night (knock on wood). With this whole pandemic, I’ve been fortunate enough to work from home. Do I move her crate to my office during the day since that’s where I spend most my time? Or do I leave her in the bedroom where the crate has been the last few days? I feel lost without a schedule. I don’t know how long she’s supposed to be in the crate for, when to take her out, when play time is, when to take her outside to do her business. I know it will take time for us to get into a routine but please help with any tips! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Well not a 10 week old, but this series of video's should give you some guidance?? :

But in general at ten week's old I think she would need to be in and out of the crate every four hour's throughout the night?? And the crate is suppose to be a safe place not a prison. Not saying that is your plan ... just a head's up. I would get a second most likely larger crate to keep in the office. Lugging a crate from room to room everyday would tend to get old fast I would imagine??

I think no food or water about one hour before bed time is the general rule of thumb?? In general it's eight month's before a puppy can sleep thru the night without needing to go potty. O=they gain about one hour of holding time per month.

Ideally you have a safe and secure backyard?? Not that I would let a 10 week old, outside alone anyway but a property with a secure yard ... makes life with a puppy a bit easier. :)

And she is going to want to be with you. And you can't just take her out of one crate, in one room and put her in another Crate in another room and only take her out for potty breaks?? During the day?? And again I don't know if that is your plan so just saying.

Well I got more but that should be enough for now?? Welcome Aboard and as always "ask question's." :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Like Chip said a crate is not a prison and should only be used when you cannot supervise her. She needs her play time and then you can use the crate for sleeping in but she needs human interaction as well she needs to be held and talked to and taken outside to eliminate and told she is good. I have never been a fan of too much crate time.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
OP has only made one post so far. So we don't really know if they are a "One and done," poster at this point?? And while I have no issue's with Crating a Dog/Puppy and I do understand it certainly makes "Potty Training," easier? It's not something I've ever done myself???

Crating does help to establish Rules, Limitation's and Structure and if you don't use a Crate ... then you do have to make up for that lack of "enforced structure," by other means??

I tend to "think," that lot's of folks believe, that the only way they can have a puppy/dog that does not tear up the house and go "potty indoors," is by crating them?? And sure that work's ... they aren't gonna mess in the house are tear crap up if they are "locked down in a crate all day??"

But heck you know if that is the goal ... just get "Gold Fish," instead of a dog and make life simple. :)

If I get another WL GSD, he would be Crate trained! And mostly because of the three thing's I listed! GSD's and Mal's are not dog's for uh fool's! And dare I say ...trust me on that! :)

But Boxer's LOL, ... Boxer's and Boxer's owner's ... tend to break all "Da Rulz's!" They sleep in our bed's they free roam indoors and they do get on the furniture! Not all ... but most?? And by and large it work's out well for of us??? And these well adjusted (though still PIA ... some of them I imagine Boxer's) don't attack other dog's, threaten people (GSD/MAL) and tear up the house when left alone.

So it can be done ... "Crate Free," no doubt. But most likely ... I would guess ... to get a Boxer that is like that?? Most of us are putting a whole lot of time and effort into "training our dog's??" We just never thing about it???

With company in our home ... sigh my Bella is not is not the best behaved I have had! Far from it! Still breaking all the rules of good behavior and doggy discipline ... I can put a leash on her, and have her on the sofa next to me and she is just fine with that. Other wise she would be 55 lbs of PIA while people are trying to talk!

Aww well this is a "tangent," and it does kinda go against my "General Dog," specif advise ie use a "Crate!" But hey my foray into my Wl GSD ... uh Beat Down, not withstanding. I am at heart a "Boxer Guy!" And I'm not using a Crate.

But that just means ... I'm willing to bear the consequences of the "No crate choice!" If your not you know ... not good enough, to keep your puppy safe indoors, UN-Crated and free roaming inside (although they do tend to stay where you are??) There is the possibility of property damage or you know your puppies life!! So there is that ...

Hmm OK a wild tangent here anyway?? But now I think instead of another Crate ... the Op she could get an Ex Pen for the office??

And you know "Toy's ... lot's of Toy's! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone! I just got a 10 week old boxer puppy a few days ago. I have no idea what I’m doing with crate training. I have her crate next to our bed which she has no problem sleeping in throughout the night (knock on wood). With this whole pandemic, I’ve been fortunate enough to work from home. Do I move her crate to my office during the day since that’s where I spend most my time? Or do I leave her in the bedroom where the crate has been the last few days? I feel lost without a schedule. I don’t know how long she’s supposed to be in the crate for, when to take her out, when play time is, when to take her outside to do her business. I know it will take time for us to get into a routine but please help with any tips! Thank you so much!
I typically use the crate for night time sleeping and after play naps. Boxers are high energy and confining them to a crate for an extended period of waking hours would not be recommended.

Some of my boxers have been very difficult to potty train. Some things that have worked for me:

1. Stop food and water 1-2 hours prior to bedtime.
2. Take your pup out just before night time crating and at least one time in the middle of the night. Lay out your clothes and shoes so you can get ready to take them out. Go directly from crate to outside. Don’t allow the pup to stop anywhere on the way out.
3. Stay outside until they finish their business.
4. During the day, take them out every hour and within 10 minutes after drinking or eating. If your office can be closed (door or baby gate) put a few toys and a dog bed in the room so you can keep an eye on them.

Some pups have separation anxiety at night. I found a wonderful stuffed dog that uses AA batteries and has a heart beat. My pups slept all night the first night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts