Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me please, anyone with any advice!
I have a rescue boxer that is 2-4 years old and I have had her for almost a year. She is a beautiful little brindle and is as sweet as can be....that is until I leave her alone. I do kennel her up when she is alone in the house but she somehow has managed to plow through 3 dog kennels. I have tried plastic zip ties, bungee cords to try to keep the kennels in place, but NOTHING holds her. When she gets out she goes on a rampage tearing up carpet scratching up doors and door moldings, ripping down curtains....and more. I scold her when I come home and she definately understands what she has done wrong because if she has escaped her kennel she will be hiding when I enter the house. Please if you have any kind of solution, please let me know!
Thanks

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hi there,, Boy do I understand your problem..When I got Samson, also a rescue the first crate I used he broke right out of. It was the standard wire crate & wasn't cheap. So back to Petsmart & I ended up getting a PetMate Pet porter. It's actually what you would use if you had to ship you dog. Made of very strong plastic, just 2 pieces, bottom & top & the front is steel that has a closure only on the outside. Samson never was able to get out of that. you might try putting a small lock on the front also to keep your baby from escaping.. There is nothing more upsetting than coming home to a disaster that your baby has created,,Hope this was some help..

Just as an afterthought, has she always

·
Registered
162 Posts
It does sound like seperation anxiety - try feeding her in her crate while you are at home with the door open - also crating her when you are home and not leaving - so that way she doesn't associate the crate with you leaving.  Leave and come back in 5 seconds/10 seconds/then a minute/ then 25 minutes, etc.  That way she doesn't think everytime you are leaving you won't come back for a long time.  You can also try wearing out the dog by walking for 45 minutes at a fast pace before you leave for extended periods of time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts